Star Wars Room Build - UPDATED!

Re: The Smugglers Room - My Re-Imagined & Definitive Rebuild . . .

Everything about this just look great! I love the panel for your nephew, not to mention the scanner crate.

If you need a quicker method of installing lots of LEDs, how about fairy lights? It’s coming up to Christmas do you should be able to get them just about anywhere, and it would save on having to wire up each LED individually (provided that you only need them to light up all together.) You can even get remote control versions which could work well.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/bdb0beb52c23c11a01c1572bc9df9c99.jpg
Anyways, just a thought. I used them on my TARDIS console and they do the job with a lot less trouble.

Whatever you decide to do, I know this is gonna turn out awesome either way!

Thank you for the compliment. You are certainly correct on the LED's, I am going to hit up the "post-xmas" sales and grab a bunch up.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonderful Update! Make sure you get pics of your nephew having fun! :)

Thank you my friend, I will definitely post some of the Little Smuggler.

Any progress as of late?

Hi Marvin! Thanks for reaching out. I have a ton of progress, but its not directly on the room. My wife was awesome enough to buy me a few new toys for Christmas, the downside is I had to make some significant changes to the shop in order to have a place for them. As you can see below, the shop is in a bit of a mess. I am pretty close to finishing up a new out-feed/assembly table, Router table insert, and a new workbench for my new toys.

I think by the end of the week I will have added power, additional lighting, and a clean space to make a fresh mess . . . then I can get back to work on the room!

39678763772_003c928239_b.jpg

Cannot wait to see more progress on this build.

I'd be lying if I said this thread wasn't currently set as my browser homepage....

and just so you guys don't think I'm being lazy, here are a couple shots of the new table ready for action . . .

28085490959_c9c9944769_b.jpg

28085489879_8a33a195b1_b.jpg

and I had to come back from a galaxy far far away and head over to Middle Earth to knock out a quick commission build this weekend for a friend of a friend. We need that cash for the fun stuff right???

Not 100% complete, but close.

39154922574_5631304a11_c.jpg

28085487369_d8accc4503_c.jpg

I am putting together a video series on this build. Its a great way to better document the project and we thought it would be fun to take you through each step. I have been working on 3D printing, CNC aspects, electronics, and good old fashion hand tools. There are so many aspects to this build that I wanted to capture the process and pass on tips and tricks I have picked up over the years. Many of these techniques you all know, and I learned a great deal from the amazing group here at the RPF! So at the very least I hope you find what we have been working on entertaining.

I'll have some cool updates and build progress to post soon, and I am hoping the videos will start releasing next month. Thanks for watching guys, and all those of you that have encouraged me to work on this ridiculous project!

Attachments

• Smugglers Room Logo Gradient.png
    Smugglers Room Logo Gradient.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:
Whats up all you awesome geeks!!! I am super excited that I have finished a large amount of "Honey Do List" items that had been looming over my head for the last year, and I have been able to get back to work on the project! Since I am doing a large amount of travel for work it has limited my time in the shop, but I have found a way to get things done in the mean time. I have broken into the world of Fusion 360, and I am having WAY too much fun with that program.

I purchased an X-Carve and a 3D printer in the last several months, and combined with the shop upgrades we have done I feel like I have a whole new arsenal of tools at my disposal.

One of the items that really bothered me when I built the room the first time around was that things didn't feel "integrated." Without going too deep, it felt like I had found cool "greeblies" but they were not applied in a way that made them feel built-in. Does that make sense? If not, just check out SofaKing01 's build with the falcon. His droid sockets are just fantastic. But they look planned, engineered, and built in. That is what has been missing from my room.

So, as I mentioned we are filming certain aspects of the room, and I think you guys will get a kick out of it, but I also want to continue to post snapshots of the project as well. Enough talk then, here is a little element I worked on while on the road, sent the file to my amazing wife, and had prints waiting to get my hands dirty with once I got home. It's like working on the project while i'm away . . . and an awesome wife to help!!!!

The first is simple. I took some really cool aluminum parts that I had lying around (absolutely no idea what they are, or where they came from) and I used the calipers to get dimensions for them, and then modeled a "thing" around their design. This isn't supposed to be anything more than a greeblie. No purpose, no rhyme or reason, just fun stuff that will look great once its; sanded, sanded, sanded, primed, sanded, sanded, primed, and then painted! So keep in mind, these are far from done, but I'm pretty excited so I wanted to finally share progress with you guys. I hope you enjoy!

26391474407_e1b070c6dd_b.jpg

41263087751_acf8c6038a_b.jpg

27389723988_0c5548a95c_b.jpg

The other item i wanted to build myself was a "version" of the DeathStar Detention Block security camera. Phillip Wise and the Blue Realm Studios team build an amazing version a little while back, and you all should check that out if you have not seen that product. Very cool stuff. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=265923&highlight=slide+viewer+camera

That version is very screen accurate, and just to be clear I am not going for screen accurate. I am doing what i typically do and drawing inspiration and just going after it on my own, with my own spin. So don't beat me up too bad :)

These will eventually be painted obviously, but I will make lens's to fit inside, LED's, and a mount to support it from the ceiling. If there is time, i also have some old black and white bullet cameras that I can install inside one and actually pull up live images of the space that they are pointing at. But one thing at a time :)

40367175085_09defdbd6b_b.jpg

40367175035_6d5411bc1d_b.jpg

27389675018_64a17b708b_b.jpg

40367176885_8f4583fb36_b.jpg

*speechless*

My garage shop, prop display, and home theater are all suddenly feeling wholly inadequate... LOL

Amazing work! Can't wait to see the pieces moving into the actual room!

OK... you're just having WAY TOO MUCH FUN! ;)

You bet we are my friend. I have never been more excited and motivated.

*speechless*

My garage shop, prop display, and home theater are all suddenly feeling wholly inadequate... LOL

Amazing work! Can't wait to see the pieces moving into the actual room!

Thank you very much. I want so bad to post pics of what I am working on but I am going to hold off just a tad so I can really showcase some of the fun stuff we are putting together.

Last edited:
took a few weeks off to focus on studies, and the second school got out this is the first place I checked up on. Keep the great work coming!

took a few weeks off to focus on studies, and the second school got out this is the first place I checked up on. Keep the great work coming!

Thank you Marvin, people like you and others in this community are so incredibly supportive! Its an awesome place to build!

So, did you all think this project died? I certainly did for a while. We've been tinkering on other projects, and likely avoiding getting my butt to work on this because it can be overwhelming, and this is the second go around after all. But we are back working on it, and . . . so here we go!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back