STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Ugh...I'm really trying to not get excited by this and get let down...

but it's not working :lol! I am really liking what I'm seeing here. I don't know if it's the music, the familiar(OT) sound effects or what, or that I'm really interested about the height of the Empire stories, but I'm actually getting a SW vibe that the PT couldn't bring me(I'm not turning this into a bash PT or PT vs OT thread, just my own observation and experience).

One man's knock off is another man's charming homage.

At least when Lucas was homaging things for the original Star Wars movie, he was at least making an effort of trying to put his own spin on it to try and give it it's own identity. This clip is just doing the same thing we saw in the same franchise all over again. It's not clever, it's just lazy.

Also, nice of the writers to throw Hera an "idiot ball" there. I didn't know stating the obvious gave combatants a tactical advantage over the enemy. But than again, that's not an entirely new thing for Star Wars either.

"There's the blockade."
"That's it. Tatooine."
"Fighters straight ahead."
"We didn't hit it."

Now THAT would have been a funny homage.

At least when Lucas was homaging things for the original Star Wars movie, he was at least making an effort of trying to put his own spin on it to try and give it it's own identity. This clip is just doing the same thing we saw in the same franchise all over again. It's not clever, it's just lazy.

Also, nice of the writers to throw Hera an "idiot ball" there. I didn't know stating the obvious gave combatants a tactical advantage over the enemy. But than again, that's not an entirely new thing for Star Wars either.

"There's the blockade."
"That's it. Tatooine."
"We didn't hit it."

Wow, you don't like much of anything do you? We're going to have call you Mikey from now on. :D

I thought it was pretty good, a nice homage to the original, similar but different. Only two things about it bothered me, one was the speed of the bolts from the cannons, can those things shoot and move any slower? The way they animated those bolts made it look like it would take a real lucky shot to hit anything as fast as a TIE fighter and they should have been able to dodge those bolts with great ease. Speaking of TIE fighters, anyone else find it funny how they would keep shooting well after they passed the ship?

The other thing that bothered was Chopper, I thought the design was clever and the idea behind him interesting but I didn't like this "voice", it sounded too much like a processed human voice to me. I realize that they wanted something different from Artoo but they could have pitched the "voice" a little higher and made it more synthesized and less like a processed human voice.

Last edited:

"There's the blockade."
"That's it. Tatooine."
"We didn't hit it."

You have a funny habit of confusing your opinion with absolute fact.

You have a funny habit of confusing your opinion with absolute fact.

That's because he's a troll. His posts lack any sort of intelligent information. He is simply here to disturb the thread.

First of all, if the clip would have been made any differently, he would have made a comment such as, "This is nothing like Star Wars."

Second, he doesn't know anything about George Lucas, and would he call him lazy for this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRIsjJFRNo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzrz7zZyUo and I love this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZq-tlJTrU

Third, while you can say this is an homage I also would add; why would a small group of TIEs attacking an armed freighter not look similar. Would TIE pilots not have been trained in strategic ways to attack such a craft. Wouldn't the maneuvers, attack patterns be similar?

Fourth, there is nothing lazy about artist taking time to replicate such details in order to ensure the proper feel. These talented guys and gals are doing a series, so they have any trouble coming up with material or ideas. In fact, it is often harder to replicate something that it is to develop something original. If you think detailed replication of something is lazy, go to the other forums here and tell everybody building prop replicas how they are lazy.

Last edited:
Additionally from https://www.facebook.com/starwarsrebels

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 10.29.56 AM.png

That's because he's a troll. His posts lack any sort of intelligent information. He is simply here to disturb the thread.
If I'm not mistaken, Trolls are not tolerated here on the RPF. If you believe I'm a troll, report my posts to a site administrator. They're pretty good at spotting trolls and any other forms of misconduct. So until I receive such a warning, I think it would be a good idea to not resort to baseless name calling.

First of all, if the clip would have been made any differently, he would have made a comment such as, "This is nothing like Star Wars."

Is this a straw man's argument? Because if you see my posts in the marvel threads you'll note that I made points regarding how not only were all the Marvel movies this year were different from each other. Heck, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is my favorite Marvel film of the year and saying it wasn't like the first Captain America was by no means a criticism.

And why should a comment like "This is nothing like Star Wars" automatically be regarded as a negative comment? Cripes, I'll go so far as to state that The Empire Strikes Back is nothing like Star Wars. Should that mean that one or the other sucks? No.

Second, he doesn't know anything about George Lucas, and would he call him lazy for this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRIsjJFRNo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzrz7zZyUo and I love this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZq-tlJTrU

I never called Lucas lazy. I was calling this clip from Rebels lazy.

At least when Lucas was homaging things for the original Star Wars movie, he was at least making an effort of trying to put his own spin on it to try and give it it's own identity. This clip is just doing the same thing we saw in the same franchise all over again. It's not clever, it's just lazy.​

Do you really think by "same thing" that I was talking about the intent of the scene instead of, as I said, "thing we saw"?

Third, while you can say this is an homage I also would add; why would a small group of TIEs attacking an armed freighter not look similar. Would TIE pilots not have been trained in strategic ways to attack such a craft. Wouldn't the maneuvers, attack patterns be similar?

Do we see those maneuvers and same exact shots in the subsequent films like Empire and Jedi? No. The falcon being chased by tie fighters in Star Wars is a heck of a lot more different in both follow up films. In Star Wars, the Falcon is pretty much flying slow and in a straight line while the tie fighters fly circles around it. In Empire, the Falcon is doing spins, dives and other maneuvers while being fast enough to stay ahead of the pursuing tie fighters. In Jedi, the Falcon is literally in the center of a massive space dog fighting. Which brings us to...

Fourth, there is nothing lazy about artist taking time to replicate such details in order to ensure the proper feel.

The style in replicating the shots felt more like pandering than an honest attempt to capture the feeling. We already know that this is Star Wars and Star Wars in and of itself is a pretty cool thing. It doesn't need to pander to the first movie to remind us of that. The other Star Wars films didn't need to copy itself in order to ensure a 'proper feel'. Well, I think the plot to "Return of the Jedi" WAS a lazy retread of the first Star Wars movie and no one made a big deal about it because it was the movie that gave us the Ewoks.

Aaaaand the fun is being sucked out of the thread again. :(

Trolls tend to do that.

lol. Some would consider this bickering fun.

...which is what a troll would say.

However, like most of my posts on this thread, i am actually contributing information about the show so I will continue to do so.

A few months ago, there was speculation that Darth Vader would appear in Rebels... there is new evidence that supports the speculation.

NEW EVIDENCE DARTH VADER MAY BE IN STAR WARS REBELS.

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/08/new-evidence-darth-vader-may-star-wars-rebels/

NEW EVIDENCE DARTH VADER MAY BE IN STAR WARS REBELS.

Darth Vader to be featured in a Star Wars Spinoff product, or as it's called in the franchise, Wednesday. Darth Vader was never treated as an "off limits" character when the Star Wars expanded universe was in full swing, so it doesn't surprise me that he's going to have some small role here or there. Plus when the Inquisitor was announced back in October of 2013, his description pretty much guaranteed that we would see Vader in some context.

Star Wars Rebels executive producer Dave Filoni officially revealed the character, showing a sculpted maquette, design sketches, and disclosing that the Inquisitor is "tasked by Darth Vader to hunt down the remaining Jedi Knights."

Some people in here almost sound like an old married couple ;)

"There's the blockade."
"That's it. Tatooine."
"We didn't hit it."

You forgot the obvious one:
8voUmfK.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back