STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

In the visual R1 Book there are a couple fighter pilot helmets with the modified rebel crest Sabine does for Phoenix squadron. The book calls it " modified wren Phoenix crest"
One pilot is named Farms Monsbee ( blue five)
The other something like
Barian Rainer
And
Larien Joma
All blue call signs

Don't know if they are assigned to Hera or even Sabine or are they new member's of the ghost after Kannon and Ezra leave/die whatever , but it should be fun finding out .

tiedefender_zpsrwrejwpz.png

It's been far too long Big D.

Whatever it is, I'm being cautiously optimistic, saying "yay, more Star Wars!"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

at this point, i'm at the other end of the stick.

Rebels has been so disappointing compared to the amazing clone wars. The Music is non existant. the fun is gone. the characters are too disnified...and it's all too simple.
i havn't felt the need to rewatch any of it.

meanwhile i'm doing a 4th run through of clone wars :)...

I don't see a bright future for star wars at disney if it's going to be all nostalgic throw back.

Not really new info but I have sort of glossed over this detail in the latest Rebels news stories. Since I did not notice it at first, I thought I would point it out to others who might have missed it too:

When Rebels returns on 7 Jan, it will be two episodes, Ghosts of Geonosis Part 1 & 2.

MJF do you think this is the reason filoni left rebels? we know he was working on another Star wars project, i wonder if he's the master mind behind this news?

Well it really is no surprise. i think most figured a new show was developing when they promoted him. But just remember....

http://nerdist.com/dave-filoni-crea...star-wars-animation-development-at-lucasfilm/
But! Before anyone panics and thinks Dave is stepping down or away from Star Wars Rebels, take a deep breath. It’s all fine. It’s all great, really. The change in roles will give Filoni more time to focus on the story and to develop other Star Wars animated projects.The entire statement from Lucasfilm:

“Dave is still just as involved as ever – overseeing all aspects of Star Wars Rebels production as Executive Producer and occasionally directing episodes. In many ways, mentoring Justin and moving him into the role as Supervising Director has made it possible for Dave to be even more immersed in the writing and story structure of the show as well as creatively overseeing future animation development. Justin started with Lucasfilm Animation on the first season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and worked with Dave before that on Avatar: The Last Airbender, so they’ve been working together for quite some time.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little perplexed why Hera, who is a ship's CO ranked Captain, who is seen in command of several ships and a squadron (and thereby should at least have a field commission of Commodore) is somehow jumped cross disciplines to be a General? She should be an Admiral in R1. Not a General.

Sloppy writing.

I'm a little perplexed why Hera, who is a ship's CO ranked Captain, who is seen in command of several ships and a squadron (and thereby should at least have a field commission of Commodore) is somehow jumped cross disciplines to be a General? She should be an Admiral in R1. Not a General.

Sloppy writing.

The Captain rank in the rebellion is similar to that rank in the Army, USAF, Marines (aka O3 pay grade) and not that of a Navy Captain (aka O6).

The Stars Wars Universe does also utilize the term Captain to designate a position of a person who is in command of a vessel. This is also similar to maritime tradition in both civilian and military. In fact, in the Navy, you can have an officer such as a LCDR (O4) or CDR (O5) in command of a vessel and it is tradition to address them as Captain and/or Skipper. Captain is not utilized as a rank but a position.

It is much like the use of Commander. Commander can be an assignment such as an Admiral who is Commander of Fleet Forces. He is a commander in position not as a rank.

BTW, if you ever want to know what is proper address in situations like this. You have to determine if the options for the address would be a demotion to that person's real rank. For example: you can call any type sergeant in the USAF a sergeant because it is not a designated rank. However in the USMC, there is a sergeant rank. It is the lowest sergeant pay grade. Therefore calling a Staff, Gunnery, Master Sergeant a Sergeant is not acceptable because you are calling them a demoted rank.

Other examples:
Call a Lieutenant Commander a Commander: Ok
Call a Lieutenant Junior Grade a Lieutenant: Ok
Call a Senior or Master Chief a Chief: No

Also, even though Hera is Captain of her vessel, it would seem her overall responsibilities/assignment in both Rebels and Rogue One are that of military operations not dealing with the fleet put other non-fleet operations. Remember that Solo was Captain of the Falcon but he was a General.

Last edited:
Also remember that in ROTJ Lando was a general and was in charge of a squadron. So apparently general is flexible between branches or something in SW.

So what happens, IRL, if an Admiral is in command of a ship? Do they still call him Admiral or Captain? I'm not sure, other than world wars, if an admiral is ever in command of a ship or not.

Squadrons are not restricted to Naval Activity. That is true for real military and Star Wars universe. Remember that Poe has an Army Rank (his badge is red).

Also remember that in ROTJ Lando was a general and was in charge of a squadron. So apparently general is flexible between branches or something in SW.

So what happens, IRL, if an Admiral is in command of a ship? Do they still call him Admiral or Captain? I'm not sure, other than world wars, if an admiral is ever in command of a ship or not.

Just use the rule.

You have to determine if the options for the address would be a demotion to that person's real rank.

Calling and Admiral a Captain would be a demotion. So no, you would not call the Admiral a Captain. But it is okay to call a Rear Admiral or Vice Admiral simply Admiral because it is a higher rank.

Btw: in no way am I trying to insinuate that a real military rank structure or protocols must be followed in the Star Wars universe. I am only trying to illustrate that there are similarities in hopes that it helps others get a better understanding of what the creators might be trying to convey.

The Captain rank in the rebellion is similar to that rank in the Army, USAF, Marines (aka O3 pay grade) and not that of a Navy Captain (aka O6).

The Stars Wars Universe does also utilize the term Captain to designate a position of a person who is in command of a vessel. This is also similar to maritime tradition in both civilian and military. In fact, in the Navy, you can have an officer such as a LCDR (O4) or CDR (O5) in command of a vessel and it is tradition to address them as Captain and/or Skipper. Captain is not utilized as a rank but a position.

It is much like the use of Commander. Commander can be an assignment such as an Admiral who is Commander of Fleet Forces. He is a commander in position not as a rank.

BTW, if you ever want to know what is proper address in situations like this. You have to determine if the options for the address would be a demotion to that person's real rank. For example: you can call any type sergeant in the USAF a sergeant because it is not a designated rank. However in the USMC, there is a sergeant rank. It is the lowest sergeant pay grade. Therefore calling a Staff, Gunnery, Master Sergeant a Sergeant is not acceptable because you are calling them a demoted rank.

Other examples:
Call a Lieutenant Commander a Commander: Ok
Call a Lieutenant Junior Grade a Lieutenant: Ok
Call a Senior or Master Chief a Chief: No

Also, even though Hera is Captain of her vessel, it would seem her overall responsibilities/assignment in both Rebels and Rogue One are that of military operations not dealing with the fleet put other non-fleet operations. Remember that Solo was Captain of the Falcon but he was a General.

Basically, the 2 US Naval services (Navy & Marine Corps) are particular about rank and how you address someone of a particular rank, esp the enlisted ranks. The Army and Air Force are a bit less particular although (in the Army) above a certain rank it's best to address a person by their full rank, I'd say about at Sgt. Major and above you'd address them by their full rank. It's also worth noting that in the Marine Corps there are accepted nicknames for certain Sgt. ranks, most notably Gunny for a Gunnery Sgt., but there's also Top for Master Sgt. and (I think) a 1st Sgt. as well, and I've heard Master Gunnery Sgts. called Master Guns.

Admirals do not command ships, they command fleets. This is a common mistake that they make in sci-fi movies, a fleet Admiral never commands their flagship, there is a ship's captain who actually commands the Admiral's flagship. The reason being is that the Admiral is too busy commanding and coordinating the fleet to take direct command of his own flagship. In fact, the Admiral doesn't even operate out of the bridge or the CIC, he operates out of a dedicated flag bridge and has his own staff with him there, and these people are completely outside of the ship's direct chain of command. They don't answer to the ship's captain, or any other member of the crew, they don't stand watch or do anything else related to the ship's day to day operations, even in combat.

If the captain of a flagship is killed or otherwise taken out of action the Admiral on board still does not take command, the XO (second in command) does, and it works on down the chain of command just like any other ship. This is somewhat analogous to military aircraft, the pilot is the plane's commander no matter what, in a 2 seater it's possible the back seater can actually outrank the pilot but as long they're on the plane while it's flying the pilot is in charge. The same goes for a transport, a 4 star general could be on board but the pilot can (respectfully) tell the General to stfu if he tries to order him to do anything that would compromise the plane's safety.

Also remember Star Wars (and Star Trek, for that matter) is fiction and the writers don't care about accurately applying real-world military hierarchy as we know it to their stories.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back