STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I saw some pics of Rebels toys from SDCC and it included a Darth Maul figure standing next to other Rebels characters. I really hope they're not bringing him back. Maybe if its a flashback or something it could be ok, but just let the character go already.

I really loved maul from tcw. He almost redeemed tpm.

But I just don't see him fitting into rebels.
Or should I say, "I don't see him as being an Inquisitor. " same with ventress. Their characters were developed so well that I don't see them blindly following the empire.

Let's cut the fan service and create new characters

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I saw some pics of Rebels toys from SDCC and it included a Darth Maul figure standing next to other Rebels characters. I really hope they're not bringing him back. Maybe if its a flashback or something it could be ok, but just let the character go already.

You never know. But as far as what you saw, that is a figure from Hasbro's 12" Hero line. It covers various era and is not new. Hasbro will be debuting new items on Friday at 1:30pm convention time.

Frigate has always been more of a role than a size cateory. Traditionally, a frigate is the smallest vessel capable of operating autonomously and not as part of a fleet. This doesn't count point-A-to-point-B vessels like corvettes or shuttles, that can operate over long distances. I mean go out, and stay out doing things. They tend to be more single-purpose than a larger cruiser or ship-of-the-line. Destroyers tend to be gun platforms to augment fleet operations, and little else.

That last bit was a segue, by the way, to address the term "Star Destroyer". Some over the years have interpreted it as syonymous with "space destroyer", as in a destroyer-type ship in a space navy. These are also the folks who coined the term "star dreadnought" to refer to the Executor-class command ships. As far back as I can remember, though, I heard it as "destroyer of stars" -- the same sort of hyperbolic Imperial nomenclature that gave us the Death Star. Han specifically referred to them as "Imperial cruisers", and that's good enough for me. Cruisers are good multirole, independently-operating vessels, generally the next size tier up from frigates. So that gives us a good bookend the other way.

What is a frigate in Star Wars? Bigger than a corvette, smaller than a Star Destroyer. :D

--Jonah

If you really get down to it, all ship class/category designations refers more to a role than a size but at the same time their roles do tend to dictate a minimum size that's required to be effective at their role. At the same time, you don't (typically) build a given class much larger than it absolutely needs to be because it then becomes a waste of money and resources, as well as manpower. That's why you don't have frigates the size of an aircraft carrier or destroyers the size of a battleship, because there's no benefit in them being that large and for the money and resources you might as well just build an aircraft carrier or a battleship. Of course, this ignores anomalies like Japan's helo carrying destroyer, something that's really a helo carrier but called a destroyer for political reasons.

I'd actually call a cruiser 2 steps up from a frigate with a destroyer sitting in between the two. But I do agree with you on the classification of the Star Destroyer as a cruiser, maybe even heavy cruiser with the name, Star Destroyer, a reference to its firepower and not it being a destroyer class vessel.

Last edited:
I would say (and this is just my personal opinion) that Star Destroyer is actually its own thing. That it is so different from a cruiser, destroyer, or carrier in that it can do many of their missions or even missions that none of them can, that a new type vessel was formed. Now they could call this type of craft something like a Mega-cruiser or Battle Carrier, but they probably went with the fear factor and called it a Star Destroyer, not that I think it could actually destroy a star, just an aggressive sounding name.

10682297_353635478126415_3164879242460425499_o.jpg

I can buy Star Destroyer as a ship class all its own, it's a ship that's part space combatant, part aircraft carrier (although most sci-fi space ships are this way), and part assault craft. It's like if you crossed an Iowa class battleship with a Nimitz class carrier, and a (late model) America class LHA all into one.

Moot point for me. I watch on demand, rather than live. Saturday's a smart bet, though, since you're a lot more likely to get the kids watching.

That's when they dump all the, uh, educational programming they're required to air on the networks....

Be great to have saturday mornings back they were they were though!

The old time was not an issue for me because we got to watch it a week early on demand except for the season finale. But I always thought the 9:00 pm Tuesday was an odd choice. I assume a lot a families have their young kids in bed by 9:00 like we do.

I wonder what the rest of the picture is, I saw the spinning lightsaber of the first Inquisitor and thought it was hers (ugh I hope they don't all have the same saber), but then I looked closer and noticed it was a larger left hand of someone out of the shot.

Nm, just found it (imagine that, if I just look around I might find something).
http://chosenofmythal.tumblr.com/post/124151112564/so-after-picking-up-this-months-swr-magazine-i
tumblr_nrj4jsaUTV1u8qnsso2_540.jpg

Now my question is, who is the person next to him? :lol

Maybe they all have the rotating saber? Filoni said something like that it allowed them to cheat because they can't fight with the same skill as Maul or Grievous. I think Ahsoka would mop the floor with any of them.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back