STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Do know that jango ISN'T mandalorian?

I have never spent any time on the EU at all.

But I gotta say, the mandalore that we get in the clone wars is quite interesting and I would love to see Kenobi return there

Unless they change things he was from Concord Dawn and saved/adopted by a Mandalorian, so he's Mandalorian. Like I said earlier Disney will probably mess with it and he's just some guy who found the armor...

Unless they change things he was from Concord Dawn and saved/adopted by a Mandalorian, so he's Mandalorian. Like I said earlier Disney will probably mess with it and he's just some guy who found the armor...
Did you get that from the new books or comics?

To my knowledge, the only thing that has mentioned mandalore is the clone wars.

Jango could very well be mandalorian. Heck, he could be death watch

Regarding Jango. I'm going to cut and paste from the canon section of Wookieepedia just to save time:

This part is in reference to what was stated during a TCW episode:

Fett wore Mandalorian armor as a bounty hunter, though he was considered a pretender by the government of Mandalore.

and then..

The topic of whether or not Fett is a Mandalorian has not been officially clarified in the official Star Warscanon. In the "Creating Mandalore" featurette on The Clone Wars: Season Two DVD set, series director Dave Filoni explained that, according to George Lucas, the Fetts are not Mandalorians.[7] Most canonical sources do not state he is a Mandalorian, however the Jango Fett Saga Legends toy packaging from 2014 does state he is a Mandalorian.[8] Until this question is officially clarified by the Lucasfilm Story Group, this article does not take a stance either way.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jango_Fett/Canon

Last edited by a moderator:
The three main sources of EU content that I know of are the old West End Games RPG, the X-Wing/TIE Fighter video games, and the novels of the Star Wars Renaissance of the early '90s -- all of which kinda fed off each other. WEG was first, though, and they are well-known by many for screwing up other elements of the OT. And they're the earliest instance I know of of:

- Y-Wings being slow and clumsy
- A-Wings being developed by Dodonna after Yavin
- B-Wings being developed shortly before Endor by the Mon Calamari and being brought with them when they and their big cruisers joined the Rebellion

I like what Rebels is doing with the A- and B-Wings, even if it did take me a few days to get over the shock of having everything I'd accepted about them for almost twenty years turned on its head. I'm still angry at WEG for their treatment of the Y-Wing, that's propagated all through the EU. They're fast ad maneuverable and they made the first run on the Death Star's exhaust port. Not because of increased payload, either. I don't know where the "bomber" thing got spun out from, except maybe with the way Kenner chose to build the Y-Wing toy with an underslung bomb. But they have the same number of torpedo tubes as the X-Wing, and would only have time for one twinned launch before having to pull up out of the trench.

--Jonah

I dunno. I think you can assume they're better at surface attack than X-wings, if only because the Y-wings were designated as the primary surface-attack force in the Yavin battle, while the X-wings can be assumed to be more suited to dogfighting because...y'know...they were dogfighting. Best ship for the job, and all that, no?

As far as them being slow, I think that's just kinda carried-over assumptions about how spacecraft would operate in relation to real-world fighters. Ground attack fighters are generally slower than air superiority fighters (which are, in turn, slower than interceptors). But that's partially because they need to be slower to line up slower-moving or stationary ground targets, and sustain their firepower on them.

I have no problem with the Y-wing being more nimble than it's been represented in the EU materials, but I'd still think it makes sense to consider it better at surface attacks, whereas the X-wing is better at dogfighting. I guess we'll see how all of this shakes out with the Story Group, though. I wonder if the X-wing miniatures game is considered more canonical, given that it was done more recently (although I think it still pre-dates the Disney sale).

This is what StarWars.com says about the Y-Wing:

The Y-wing is a workhorse starfighter has been in use since the Clone Wars. Used for dogfights and for bombing runs against capital ships and ground targets, Y-wings are often overshadowed by newer models such as the X-wing and the A-wing. But the Y-wing's historical importance is remarkable, and it has reliably served multiple generations of star pilots.

reminds me of the F4U Corsair. Here is an interesting write up about the aircraft.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Vought_F4U_Corsair

The Vought F4U Corsair was developed as a carrier-born fighter/bomber but was not deployed on American carriers until after the war, while the british Fleet Air Arm used the Corsair regularly on their carriers (with shotened wings due to the heigth of the hangars. The aircraft became famous being the workhorse of the marines operating from small pacific islands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Jango. I'm going to cut and paste from the canon section of Wookieepedia just to save time:

and then..

The quote about him on the clone wars was: "Jango fett was a common bounty hunter. How he acquired that armour is beyond me"

At first this might seem like he must not be mandalorian. But at this point, The mandalorians thought that all of their warriors died out years ago. They had no idea that deathwatch or even the armour still existed.

He very well could be mandalorian. But he could have been from Concordia.

So at this point, considering what's canon and what isn't, there really isn't any way to know. They will write his origin the way the write it

Right. Having a turret/tail gunner is what puts me in mind of slower, heavier fighter-bombers like the Stuka and Me-110, or the various torpedo bombers the U.S. navy used.

This is what StarWars.com says about the Y-Wing:

The Y-wing is a workhorse starfighter has been in use since the Clone Wars. Used for dogfights and for bombing runs against capital ships and ground targets, Y-wings are often overshadowed by newer models such as the X-wing and the A-wing. But the Y-wing's historical importance is remarkable, and it has reliably served multiple generations of star pilots.

Actually there is more on Starwars.com, forgot to scroll down the page.

FALL OF THE REPUBLIC
Y-wings were a useful addition to the Republic starfighter ranks during the Clone Wars, serving primarily as bombers. Their relative lack of speed and maneuverability made them ill-suited for dogfighting, though skilled pilots could overcome these limitations, pushing the ungainly fighters to their limits while onboard gunners targeted enemies.

GALACTIC CIVIL WAR
Y-wings saw service during the Galactic Civil War, with rebel pilots respecting their ability to take a beating in combat and still return home. But these starfighters were showing their age by the time of the struggle against the Empire – many had been stripped of hull plating and engine nacelles to make maintenance easier, and models that eliminated the gunner’s turret had been introduced. Y-wings took part in the attacks on the Empire’s Death Stars at Yavin and Endor, and were mainstays of the Alliance starfighters corps in the years between those epic battles.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/y-wing-starfighter

Last edited:
Found this on the net:

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/star-wars-rebels-deluxe-child-zeb-costume.html

It's not the costume, but what appears to be a Zeb's weapon that will also be made available. I'm interested to see if it has any potential for mods into a decent replica.

I don't know how doable that would be, even on the kid it looks undersized don't mention what it would look like in the hands of an adult. The costume itself looks like it would serve as a useful pattern or template for making a better one and, of course, there's the feet and the mask.

and then..

Wow that is just so lame! People bash the old EU, but you're going to end up with something worse with this new idea that everything is canon. It also made so much more sense as to why Jango would agree to be the template, as revenge for a battle where a Jedi group wiped out a huge number of Mandalorians he commanded.

Wow that is just so lame! People bash the old EU, but you're going to end up with something worse with this new idea that everything is canon. It also made so much more sense as to why Jango would agree to be the template, as revenge for a battle where a Jedi group wiped out a huge number of Mandalorians he commanded.

Oh man when did that happen?!? That's not canon anymore?

That doesn't actually make sense.

He agreed to be the clone template as revenge against the Jedi? But the clones were for the Jedi (there's no way that palpatine would have let him into the overall plan. Sometimes I'm not even sure if dooku knew about his alter ego)

Well, regardless, I am glad that they stuck with the Y-wing being an older design. I LOVED that it showed up in TCW but really wished we had seen it in the PT.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back