Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

I think it amounts to a fundamental misunderstanding of what fans want vs. what Lucasfilm wants to be popular. Whether that's a toy or a specific character in their latest piece of content.

They wanted Reva to be the next big thing, but her toys and character were only received with mixed reactions. Yet they banked on her being the next SW icon. George did the same with Jar Jar. If even George couldn't get it right, why would Lucasfilm under Disney get it?

The key is writing stories viable enough that the demand for those characters will warrant merchandise, not the other way around. In order to imortalize an icon in plastic, the character needs to be an icon in the story.
Exactly. This is the same problem with Galaxy's Edge as well as the Disney World "cruise". Rather than build parks and experiences based on what was popular -the OT and PT- they built "new" experiences that the fans have no emotional connection to. It should work the other way around.

I don't care about Batuu or Black Spire Outpost or "To the spires!" or riding around with Hondo or First Order or Resistance or any of it. That place should have been Tatooine as it was originally intended.

Look at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. THAT'S how you do a movie-themed land. If Disney owned Rowling's works, they would've made a Fantastic Beasts land instead. It's a series with a fraction of the HP fanbase but because it's still in its film run, it's deemed to have more "marketing value" when it really doesn't.

Last edited:
It's putting the cart before the horse. They create the product before the story, when the story is what build the product. This is why no one really cares about Galaxies Edge. Sure some might, but very few are invested in it. Rather than take an existing location like Tatooine, or Bespin, or whatever, which people have an emotional attachment to based on the story, they create the location and then have to jury-rig a story around that because they've already spent $20 million to build the park. That's why attendance dropped off.

I know a lot of properties in the 1980's were built on toys and then the cartoons that were written to sell the toys, but in their defense, many of those stories actually worked well enough to warrant fandoms. I couldn't care less about Black Spire or whatever it is because there's no movie or show to support or explain it. I don't care if it was featured in a comic book either. Very few follow that stuff to even know that exists. If you have some sort of esoteric idea that you need to sell your customers, it's going to be much harder to convince them to pay lots of money to go. It'd be much different if they used a well loved/ known location. I still laugh at the idea that they though a Star Wars themed "cruise" was the way to go too. How lame!

I still laugh at the idea that they though a Star Wars themed "cruise" was the way to go too. How lame!
I kind of view the Galaxy’s Edge cruise in the same vein as Quidditch. If it were in any way real, it would be rad as hell—and any imitation short of real is embarrassing beyond belief. The cruise is the expensive, Star Wars/Disney version of running around a soccer field with some padded PVC pipe between your legs while chasing someone in a yellow shirt who’s pretending to be a ball.

It's just about making everything new and "exciting" and selling that new content in as many ways as possible. I was thoroughly disappointed in Galaxies Edge. Generic is a massive understatement. Take out the characters, the undersized millennium falcon, lightsabers and it could be any a host of other science fiction universes. Actually it still feels that way with all that.

Exactly. This is the same problem with Galaxy's Edge as well as the Disney World "cruise". Rather than build parks and experiences based on what was popular -the OT and PT- they built "new" experiences that the fans have no emotional connection to. It should work the other way around.
With a little more imagination the cruise could have been more like this and less The Love Boat..

BackgroundEraser_20220721_205842957.jpg

It's putting the cart before the horse. They create the product before the story, when the story is what build the product. This is why no one really cares about Galaxies Edge. Sure some might, but very few are invested in it. Rather than take an existing location like Tatooine, or Bespin, or whatever, which people have an emotional attachment to based on the story, they create the location and then have to jury-rig a story around that because they've already spent $20 million to build the park. That's why attendance dropped off.

I know a lot of properties in the 1980's were built on toys and then the cartoons that were written to sell the toys, but in their defense, many of those stories actually worked well enough to warrant fandoms. I couldn't care less about Black Spire or whatever it is because there's no movie or show to support or explain it. I don't care if it was featured in a comic book either. Very few follow that stuff to even know that exists. If you have some sort of esoteric idea that you need to sell your customers, it's going to be much harder to convince them to pay lots of money to go. It'd be much different if they used a well loved/ known location. I still laugh at the idea that they though a Star Wars themed "cruise" was the way to go too. How lame!

That was pretty much my thoughts when I saw the park. When most people that are taking their kids to this park are from the OT generation, why in the world would you base it on a Sequel location instead of one of the OT or Prequel locations that are actually cool?! It makes zero sense. From what I've heard from people I know who did go, they say it was kind of cool, but hate the Sequel focus and said it could have also been called "Disney's Lucasfilm Merchandising Land". They said there's not much to do besides spend money.

Which is exactly why I would never willingly go. I don't collect merchandise. I don't think even Disney has a clear idea who it's supposed to be marketing to. I don’t really think mildly upgraded Force Fx sabers sold for 3 times the retail price they were 10 years ago is enough of a draw.

This is why no one really cares about Galaxies Edge. Sure some might, but very few are invested in it. Rather than take an existing location like Tatooine, or Bespin, or whatever, which people have an emotional attachment to based on the story, they create the location and then have to jury-rig a story around that because they've already spent $20 million to build the park. That's why attendance dropped off.
It was 2 billion -a billion for each park.
Rise of The Resistance was 225 million of that.

Oddball ST theming aside, full scale falcon and the 2 rides are awesome, I will give them that.

I don't care about Batuu or Black Spire Outpost or "To the spires!" or riding around with Hondo or First Order or Resistance or any of it. That place should have been Tatooine as it was originally intended.

Look at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. THAT'S how you do a movie-themed land. If Disney owned Rowling's works, they would've made a Fantastic Beasts land instead. It's a series with a fraction of the HP fanbase but because it's still in its film run, it's deemed to have more "marketing value" when it really doesn't.
I said that from day 1. Who are the people with the money now? OT fans. PT fans are coming into money now and any ST fans are more likely (but not exclusively) kids. Go with who has the money. Those older fans were showing their kids the older stuff from day 1. They're not going to be oblivious. New != better.

I think the choice was made out of hubris. We're Disney, we know we'll do it better and everyone will love it because it's Disney. I don't think they considered for a second that they'd be able to put something out that would turn off a large number of people.

Similar to removing 'jeans guy' from the Mandalorian, I wonder if the Kenobi team will make some changes based on fan feedback and quietly update the show on Disney+ ?...

This is totally random but I saw it on Instagram and thought it was cool.

Molly Miller, the actress who played the handmaiden in Kenobi EP1 who was getting dressed as Leia, is actually an adult stunt woman and actress, and she was the stunt double for both young Leia and young Luke in the Kenobi show.

This is totally random but I saw it on Instagram and thought it was cool.

Molly Miller, the actress who played the handmaiden in Kenobi EP1 who was getting dressed as Leia, is actually an adult stunt woman and actress, and she was the stunt double for both young Leia and young Luke in the Kenobi show.

Why does thinking she’s kind of cute make me feel like a perverted, creepy uncle?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back