Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

Consider too that Star Wars is no longer the number one selling toy franchise and hasn't been for a few years now. In the last decade Hasbro's selection of Star Wars, G.I.Joe, and Transformers in every department store I've been in the last decade has been virtually nonexistent. If you're lucky you'll see a few meager rows of figures. That's about all.
On the flip side we have a store similar to K Mar called B&M which was selling Stranger Things and Rick n Morti figures en mass a while back..

So...
Obi-Wan, do we want to see the continuing story or leave it be..
I was really happy to see Old/Young Ben back on the Big Screen, yes there were moments that could grate or seem a little childish but hey it was a story OG to teach kids morality tales and you can't like Everything in a movie, but on general there were enough nods and returning characters to make it feel like.. Well SW.

Maybe we should discuss where it could go from here if at all?

Last edited:
Obi Wan does regain his strength by the end of this series.

A second or third season should explore Obi Wan deciding to focus on protecting Luke from afar and trying the various cuisines on Tatooine. He can start a podcast (what is Vader gonna do?).

Its this love for food and drink that Obi Wan records in his journals that awakens Luke's interest in green milk, tying it back to the sequel trilogy.

Here's a question my son asked earlier and not being able to give a definite answer I thought I would ask here..

Luke's surname was Skywalker.
Vader was formerly known as Skywalker... Don't you think Vader or another Moff or such like might see a connection ?

Here's a question my son asked earlier and not being able to give a definite answer I thought I would ask here..

Vader was formerly known as Skywalker... Don't you think Vader or another Moff or such like might see a connection ?
When Boba Fett told Vader that the Rebel that destroyed the Death Star was named Skywalker, he immediately knew that Palpatine had lied about him killing Padmé, & was the moment he decided to betray him & find his son to make him his apprentice. The feeling was that the name wasn't known at all until Boba found it out. You have to figure, there was only ONE person in the entire galaxy with that name, & he lived on a moisture farm known as the 'Lars Homestead'. In my mind, it would've been much more odd IF he'd been found by the name alone.

Mottrex That's another huge factor that could equally be applied to the franchise of Star Wars, or any 1980's intellectual property too. Sure I know there are kids who enjoy it, but I still feel the only reason that it's even survived this long is the adults who carried the torch for it since childhood and passed it on to our children and grandchildren. Without us, this property would have been relegated to the past like countless others. I think the testament to its longevity will be when we die off and if our young descendents carry that same love with them into their adulthood, or if they grow out of it and it gets mostly forgotten.

As enduring as the quality of the original films are, once the original Star Wars generation is dead and gone, the impact it had on the culture and its influence may very well fade out with us. Not to sound morbid or anything, but then again, we won't live to see that happen. lol
8jq.gif

Lucas said it was a backwater and that Vader would never ever return there due to bad memories. Vader is trying very hard to kill off Anakin so he wouldn't want to go and bring up feelings that would make him think about his past. So most likely no one off planet would ever hear the name Skywalker and the Lars most likely just said "This is our nephew Luke" when introducing him to people without using his whole name. Of course having the Empire all over Tatooine now makes that a little less palatable. Before ANH there was supposedly only a very small garrison on Tatooine.

Lucas said it was a backwater and that Vader would never ever return there due to bad memories. Vader is trying very hard to kill off Anakin so he wouldn't want to go and bring up feelings that would make him think about his past. So most likely no one off planet would ever hear the name Skywalker and the Lars most likely just said "This is our nephew Luke" when introducing him to people without using his whole name. Of course having the Empire all over Tatooine now makes that a little less palatable. Before ANH there was supposedly only a very small garrison on Tatooine.
That does make perfect sense, the question arose after listening to The SW Radio play where Cami & Fixer were taunting Luke Skywalker by name and his attributes to being refused entry to being a Star fighter..
But then that radio play always was filled with extra bumf not even in the ADF novel from memory, I've not read it since I was wow Eleven!

The perils of listening to a forty year old prolly not canon these days Radio play yesterday...
I know Mark and AD were involved but the other actors sound nothing like their counterparts..
I'd also forgotten about the additional Romantic meal slightly forced by Bail Organa with Leia and the Imperial guy to garna information from the about The Deathstar!

Regarding Hasboro, it seems that they only get visuals of the characters and are given lead time to make the characters to sell when the movie in question comes out. They dont know if Rose Tico will be a cool character, popular character, unpopular etc and probably cant make a judgement since they havent seen the movie (it might not even be done yet when they start designing and producing).

So they probably have a set amount of figures made depending on the expected popularity of the character. Rey is the main character so 100,000 figures. Poe and Finn are secondary so 70,000. Rose is a new third so maybe 60,000 (these numbers are just examples to make a point).

So I dont think we can blame Hasbro for making too many Roses when they themselves probably had no idea who Rose was when making the figure. These arnt made to order but mass produced to stock on shelves so they need to predict demand.

I do think this is an outdated business model though. Lets be honest, kids dont really play with toys that much anymore with more kids probably growing up playing games on mom or dad’s ipad. There is a big decline in toy stores too with Toys R Us shutting down after going bankrupt. Hasboro producing excess toys to meet demand is ineffective and of shamed or sanctioned for also producing excess waste, will need to change their business model. I do think fans will be happy with Hasboro making more expensive but higher quality figures on-demand.
Maybe with new stuff, but shortpacking and pegwarmers have been around decades at this point.

Late 90's they were doing this stuff and, uh, they damn well knew what was going to 'popular' or sell or what characters people liked/didn't like etc. They still made way to many of stuff that never sold and continued to do so. People wrote and called them repeatedly on the issue and they did squat to the point they do it to this day.

With new stuff, i can believe they misjudge what will be liked/wanted, but it's Star Wars...they make plenty of stuff they where they know the answer to those questions and still get it wrong.

I think it amounts to a fundamental misunderstanding of what fans want vs. what Lucasfilm wants to be popular. Whether that's a toy or a specific character in their latest piece of content.

They wanted Reva to be the next big thing, but her toys and character were only received with mixed reactions. Yet they banked on her being the next SW icon. George did the same with Jar Jar. If even George couldn't get it right, why would Lucasfilm under Disney get it?

The key is writing stories viable enough that the demand for those characters will warrant merchandise, not the other way around. In order to imortalize an icon in plastic, the character needs to be an icon in the story.

Last edited:
IDK, I don't really have a problem with Jar Jar like most OT generation fans do, but I did not like the Reva character (or Disney Inquisitors at all). So, I don't know what that would tell you. :lol:

I was just using Jar Jar and Reva as examples for what contitutes an iconic character as defined by the creator vs who the fans gravitate to. They are almost always different things. I mean when asked George claimed his favorite characters in TPM were the pit droids during the pod race. So what does that tell you?

JarJar was designed as comedy relief. He was always going to be secondary, even with the merchandise. He was also one of the first new characters in roughly 16 years. This came after it was believed there would be no more SW movies. That's not an excuse, but at least GL wanted to try something different.

Reva was committee-designed to be an important main character and product from the "many experts" at Disney. This came well after 5 new movies, 15 hours of Mando, 6 hours of BOBF and countless hours of market research and "focus testing".

To me, the JarJar character failing versus the Reva character failing has a different impact on my perception of those in charge of development, my commitment to the series, and SW in general. For me, JarJar didn't ruin the TPM, but Reva ended up ruining OWK.

That character (and the writing, directing, etc) is another demonstration of how incompetency can devalue something priceless.

Not sure? Boba Fett was the epidemy of cool for nearly 40 years. Now where does he rate on the coolness chart? Not as low as Reva or those Space Vespas, but somehow JarJar isn't looking as bad anymore.

The entire Kenobi series was wholly unnecessary. As is much of the content (if not all of it by my estimation) after 1983. But to each their own.
Ultimately, yes, unnecessary. But, you know...capitalism.

I don't mind unnecessary as long as it has some qualities to it. All the D+ shows have some wonderful visual qualities. Filmmaking tech has taken a huge step with ILM's Stage Craft. But we the audience have evolved to where fantastic visuals without good content doesn't cut it anymore.

Visuals are great, but they're so commonplace anymore that even fan films can look professional these days.

That’s true. There’s many examples of Star Wars fan films that it looks just as good as what is produced for the shows.

Even the lowest budgeted fan films even work. There’s a guy I know of YouTube that’s called Create Sci-Fi that has a series of tutorials to create low budget props, costumes and sets for making low budget sci-fi films. He even did one that has a pretty good setup.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back