Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

kind of a worst-case scenario but what if they have Obi Wan appear on other planets and fighting but reveal that it is Obi Wan force projecting from Tatooine, thereby making force projection canon and Obi Wan (or his journals) being what taught Luke how to force project in TLJ?

“Absolutely not”

That’s a inside joke, I have a funny way of saying that quote lol

I hope not though.. Just let him fester on tatoonie and talk to yoda via force Skype. That was the original plan, he dedicated 19 years of watching luke.

I hope to god he doesn’t leave tatoonie..

And don’t take any of that as a attack, I’m only messing with ya ;)

I'm just going to give it a whirl and see what they do.

If Kenobi leaves the planet for a reason that is shown to be valid in the story, then i'm on board with it. Same with Vader on Tatooine. If he's there for a reason that is set out in the story, then it could be a really interesting dynamic.

Maybe Obi-Wan becomes a drunk recluse and even addicted to Death Sticks for a while? Gets the Star Wars equivalent of Shanghai’d after a bender and winds up on a cargo ship filled with rubber Bantha poo-doo on its way to Hong Kong?

I think obi-wan is more likely to hang out in the desert smoking space weed and eating moister vape shrooms. Putting on eye liner and waving his lightsaber around while talking to ghosts shirtless so he can connect deeper to the force and become the ultimate blue glowy.

kind of a worst-case scenario but what if they have Obi Wan appear on other planets and fighting but reveal that it is Obi Wan force projecting from Tatooine, thereby making force projection canon and Obi Wan (or his journals) being what taught Luke how to force project in TLJ?

I would actually die a little inside if that happened. When they did that, it stepped a little to far into super hero territory IMO. I completely accept that a Jedi can project their image to fool people or whatever, but I would say it would have to be fairly close by, not all the way on another planet. If they could do that Yoda would have had Jedi showing up during Order 66 and telling him they have a slight problem with their clone army.

Lucas supposedly had a set of rules they used during the Prequels that said a Jedi can fight X amount of droids at once, X amount of humans, they can jump this high, fall from this height, etc. They did that to keep their powers in check so they weren't complete super people. That had limits.

Even at close range it presents narrative problems to the existing stories much less new stories where it could be problematic. Bad ideas are bad ideas and with a Canon this large sometimes ignorance is bliss. Instead of getting into contest over it where you have two sides duking it out with what's official and what's not, why not just move on and tell better stories rather than "fix" anything. The best way to do this is to move on to the next thing and ignore the mistakes as best you can as if they don't exist.

I'll have to go back and watch that Rebels episode, I don't really remember much of it. So, my thoughts here may be inaccurate, someone fill me in.

Where exactly in the PT did it say Obi Wan was going to stay on Tattooine to protect Luke? I just remember him handing off the baby and that was it.

Also, maybe we can get some insight as to why Lars doesn't like Ben. As far as the PT, wasn't that final scene the first time they met? Ok, granted Ben probably told him about Annakin turning into Vader and all. But honestly, I never really thought of Vader as Obi Wan's failure. Didn't Palpatine cause all that?

Obi-Wan himself says in ROTS that he would watch over Luke.

As for the Rebels content I couldn't say because I never watched it or Clone Wars. Obi-Wan feeling responsible for Anakin's turn is stated outright in ROTS during the duel when he literally says I have failed you. Plus in ROTJ he admits to Luke that he thought he could train him just as well as Yoda but he was wrong. There are other implications of this throughout the OT though it may not be stated outright.

Just like most situations where a loved one does horrible things, whether it's a crime, or an addiction, often those closest to that person feel a sense of guilt or responsiblity if only out of their relationship to them. So Anakin's choices may have been his own but it wouldn't necessarily absolve Obi-Wan from feeling like he had a hand in creating the problem.

This is why when Obi takes Luke into hiding to watch over him it speaks to his nobility as a character that he would spend the rest of his life to protect the one who would ultimately stop Vader. His retreat into hiding as well as Yoda hiding speaks to them playing the long game, knowing that while they may be outnumbered, eventually Luke and Leia would grow strong enough to defeat the Empire. They don't sulk after their mistakes and go off to die as cowards with no plan to fix everything. The fact that fans can't see the enormous difference between these two extremes is frankly beyond me.

As for why Owen hates Obi-Wan, I too would have liked to see something in the PT that would give reasons as to why he felt that way. Owen should have played a bigger role in those films and been more than a cameo.

Last edited:
On the point of Owen, I read a fanfic/rewrite a long time ago that basically has him as the “badass normal” in Anakins life during the Clone Wars.Short of a huge change like that, in my mind he always should have been Anakin’s best friend who effectively got left behind when he went off to play Jedi. They would also have been much older in my minds eye.

I like that idea too. Especially because it was an opportunity to establish that perhaps Owen hated Obi-Wan because he was responsible for Anakin getting involved in the first place and getting Anakin killed. That jealousy and anger could have given way to a very nuanced performance too by Joel Edgerton.

There is precedent for this idea in the dialog between Luke and Obi-Wan in ANH when they are discussing Anakin and Owen's disapproval of the Jedi.

It was just never sussed out is all.

In ANH, it's all been done and is history. At the end of ROTS he just hands an infant over. Not really the time to get into a conversation about 'I hate you it's all your fault, etc, etc.'

The theory works that he explains it at some point and it causes the rift. Problem is, it's not Obi's fault, but Qui Gon's really.

Word on the streets is Obi-Wan made a pass on Beru while Lars was was over at Toshi Station picking up some power converters. Lars show’s back up at home to find Obi-Wan and Beru making Fondu in the kitchen. Lars chased off Obi-Wan and threatened him never to return.

To this day, Lars gets all grumbly about Power converters at Toshi Station, don’t bring it up.

As for why Owen hates Obi-Wan, I too would have liked to see something in the PT that would give reasons as to why he felt that way. Owen should have played a bigger role in those films and been more than a cameo.

I don't think he hates Obi-Wan at all. I think it's all Owen protecting Luke. He raised Luke like a son and now someone wants to go put him in danger. He knows what happened to Anakin and saw Anakin was a good person who fell. He doesn't want Luke to have to deal with that and possibly turn.

I don't think he hates Obi-Wan at all. I think it's all Owen protecting Luke. He raised Luke like a son and now someone wants to go put him in danger. He knows what happened to Anakin and saw Anakin was a good person who fell. He doesn't want Luke to have to deal with that and possibly turn.

Facts!

Plus in the comics, jabbas thugs always harass Owen when they come to collect their vapor tax

As I read it Owen is more of a “just pay them to leave, this is the way of life and easiest and safest way to survive.. pay them and get them out of here”

Where obiwan when seeing that is “f#ck that sh6t!” And attacks them killing them or making them run away..

Obiwan thinks he’s protecting Luke, but it just causes more back lash for the Lars family.. more thugs.. more problems with jabba

Facts!

Plus in the comics, jabbas thugs always harass Owen when they come to collect their vapor tax

As I read it Owen is more of a “just pay them to leave, this is the way of life and easiest and safest way to survive.. pay them and get them out of here”

Where obiwan when seeing that is “f#ck that sh6t!” And attacks them killing them or making them run away..

Obiwan thinks he’s protecting Luke, but it just causes more back lash for the Lars family.. more thugs.. more problems with jabba

A non-canon comic basically characterized this. It is a short story where Luke who is still a child is playing when marauders attack the farm. Obi Wan comes in to save them/protect Luke and Owen is also fighting as well.

After fighting off the marauders, Owen socks Obi. Owen is hostile to Obi because he doesn’t want him training Luke and have him go down the same path as Anakin. Owen does care for Luke like a son although he seems to show it in a poor 70s Red Foreman sort of way.

Could be cool to see the Lars get some “redemption” in the series as an ideological opposite to Ben since they don’t get much love in the series as a joke, just being the dead parental figures.

I know what your saying. However the Comics have always been cannon until they weren’t anymore .....this is the way...

In my personal head cannon, Jinx the green rabbit is still a hero at large!
Jaxon. And I think there have been Lepi in the new canon. But there's the thing -- before the Disney sale, George always reserved the right to overrule (or use) anything in the ancillary material. Early on -- when it was just the Marvel comics and a smattering of novels/novellas -- it was all just Star Wars. After the Star Wars Renaissance of the early '90s, there came to be the distinction that the films were "more legit" than the other stuff. It was all still tacitly "canon until it isn't" (by the stroke of George's pen).

After the Disney sale, with all that EU stuff from the before time now being instead a "not canon until it is" grab bag of potential material, all the stuff that's been published after the sale has been on exactly the same level as the films and TV series, not to be overwritten. That "canon until it isn't" isn't a thing any more. Any continuity differences are just straight-up "Klingons have bumpy foreheads now" level retcons.

P.S. I want Hoojibs, dammit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back