Star Wars movie set den build

The Trash Droid is finished! This kind of quick project is really fun.
attachment.php

Later, I'll do some photos of the rest of the room, such as the platform and the desk. I'm still finishing up some details on those.

I bought that same trashcan a few months ago in anticipation of doing this very thing. I don't suppose you could send those templates my way?

I found the basic artwork on an excellent papercraft website. It was a PDF file and has much detail. Then I took that and simplified it a bunch to fit my 3-color constraints. Then I used Paint Shop Pro to make an orange grid over the artwork which is half an inch per division. Then I printed it out to make a 12.5" wide x 18.8" tall paper template.

Anyway, you can get the detailed R2 artwork on this site: R2-D2 Star Wars Papercraft which is at paper-replika.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5612
At the bottom of that page it says "R2-D2 Star Wars Papercraft templates" and you want that link. I can't give you my artwork, because it's a pretty close derivative of their work and I don't think I should post the JPG file here. You can read the terms of their "Document License" on their site and decide what you want to do with it. Good luck with your project. Let's see it when you're done!

I found a couple of these switches. They will be modified and put into the desk. They will be fitted with throttle pistons. But instead of operating a Millennium Falcon throttle, they are electrical switches. They will power on the lighted cup holders on the left and right ends of my desk. Hey, it will look like a prop fixture, but serve a useful purpose. These are joystick-style switches. They snap 4 ways and are usually employed in industrial applications, like controlling a boom lift. You know forward-back-right-left...
attachment.php

and this image is what the "throttle" handles should look like when finished. I borrowed this example image from SofaKing01 on these forums.
attachment.php

Where can I get some of these handles? Ideally, I'd screw them onto the tops of my joysticks, in place of the little black ball that's on there now. They are threaded on.

aren't the handles something like a knee piston on C3PO found em on shapeways

I am finding this hobby absolutely fascinating. Going in, I had no idea that set pieces were re-used so often. Now I see where wall panels are molded and re-used for multiple things, parts of ships are stockpiled and re-used, parts of droids are shared with control panels etc. Wow, I'm going to re-watch the first few Star Wars movies and see what I can pick out. You guys on this forum are fantastic!

A buddy helped me lug my desk to the other side of the room. Tonight I am picking up the carpet tiles and gluing them down. Some carpet pieces are taken off revealing the wood below...
attachment.php

Then all tiles are off, slathering on this adhesive with a notched trowel...
attachment.php

The stuff is called "Releasable Pressure Sensitive Adhesive" and it washes up with water. It seems to have no smell, so that's good. On the next update, I will have all the carpet pieces back in place and be trimming out the edges. This has been a long time coming! :)

Tonight I am thinking about an overhead light. But I can't buy one from a store. That would be blasphemy! It has to be a Star Wars-style shape. I want a shape that looks like something from the movie. See what you think this idea looks like. I would scale this up many times larger.
-> LIGHT STUDY VIDEO flying over.MOV <-
And some photos of the lighted "bay" looking up into it.
attachment.php

And another...
attachment.php

And another...
attachment.php

This is just a piece of thick standard 8 1/2" x 11" paper, but I suppose the edges could be widened to encompass more of the room.
attachment.php

Hey, I wonder... if the docking bay is 2 ft x 3 ft, how big would the whole Star Destroyer "ship" underbelly need to be?

I have the feeling that no one has ever tried this before? :wacko Now I can easily visualize a whole room ceiling that looks like the underbelly of a Star Destroyer hovering overhead.

That is cool and looks like the bottom on the imperial star destroyer we see at the beginning of A NEW HOPE :)

That is cool and looks like the bottom on the imperial star destroyer we see at the beginning of A NEW HOPE :)

There ya go! The opening scene is the most impressive thing I have ever seen onscreen. Everytime I see that ship fly past, I can't believe the sheer scale and the level of detail in it.
attachment.php

Hmmm, gets me thinking...

Great idea with this. But you know you'll have to rig it out on the inside to mimic the real thing, right...? :popcorn

Tonight I am thinking about an overhead light. But I can't buy one from a store. That would be blasphemy! It has to be a Star Wars-style shape. I want a shape that looks like something from the movie. See what you think this idea looks like. I would scale this up many times larger.
-> LIGHT STUDY VIDEO flying over.MOV <-
And some photos of the lighted "bay" looking up into it.
attachment.php

And another...
attachment.php

And another...
attachment.php

This is just a piece of thick standard 8 1/2" x 11" paper, but I suppose the edges could be widened to encompass more of the room.
attachment.php

Hey, I wonder... if the docking bay is 2 ft x 3 ft, how big would the whole Star Destroyer "ship" underbelly need to be?

I have the feeling that no one has ever tried this before? :wacko Now I can easily visualize a whole room ceiling that looks like the underbelly of a Star Destroyer hovering overhead.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back