Star Wars movie set den build

I like the shape of the lamp... :) The connection to the ISD is obvious but you can down play it a bit if you needed to.

What about using lights similar to those in the Falcon? You could use these? They're cheap...

Shop NDS 4" Green Atrium Grate at Lowes.com

:)

I like the shape of those. Lately I have been looking at Sonotube and considering the possibilities. That's the round tubes they use to form concrete columns. I could cut one of those lengthways, place it horizontally and light it inside. Currently, I am seeking screen captures of Star Wars-style ceilings. Rare indeed!

... I have been looking at Sonotube and considering the possibilities. That's the round tubes they use to form concrete columns. I could cut one of those lengthways, place it horizontally and light it inside

That's a great idea! That would be an effective transition from ceiling to wall.

A suggestion for the "hyperspace" backdrop. Have you ever seen those lit signs that show a moving starburst using a spinning spiral behind it? I can't find a reference pic, but seen them on beer signs and in chinatown.

Basically, it seems like you could have the front hyperspace layer masked with the "light-streams" transparent. Then utilize a layer behind that spins, and on it have a transparent spiral that lets the backlight through... sorry if it sounds confusing. Essentially as the light shines through the spinning spiral it only crosses and lights the hyperspace tendrils in an outwards motion. The tighter the spiral the quicker the shoots out.

Shipcepction...:rolleyes

Your den is epic DJ! I'm probably the only one on this forum who's never seen a full Star Wars movie(blasphemy!:darnkids) but your craftsmanship and imagination are awesome.

I find you lack of Star Wars...disturbing.

Amazing DJ, this room is turning out great! I like your "Bay" light design a lot, but echo those who say that it seems a bit out of place with the rest of the room's design.

Not that I have any better ideas mind you, I've never seen the ceilings either. lol

I find you lack of Star Wars...disturbing.

Amazing DJ, this room is turning out great! I like your "Bay" light design a lot, but echo those who say that it seems a bit out of place with the rest of the room's design.

Not that I have any better ideas mind you, I've never seen the ceilings either. lol

How about this ceiling from Ralph McQuarrie's concept? I have an open area, it's already painted flat black. I could hang some beams and Sonotube cylinders. Those would be lit within. I also have a 4 x 6 white panel I could use as a light diffuser. Hmmm.
attachment.php

I wouldn't build it EXACTLY like that, but I would catch the major shapes and the spirit of it. You know, a complicated barrage of "things" that represent mechanical utility. It would be unlike anything people normally have in a house, that's for sure. It's more like a factory ceiling, like in a mechanical room.

I think that's a fantastic idea. :thumbsup

Just streamline it a little to better match the on screen look. :)

OR, you could make it like the Falcon cockpit with loads of little lights & switches. Depends on which vibe you want.

Back to the desk. I promise you a full photo of it later. Tonight I am figuring out how to mount the throttle switches. A yellow pencil points to the area I am working on. I have cut a paper template and have placed it on the desk to see if I like the shape of it. I will cut this same shape out of thick styrene plastic and put it on top of the desk surface. There will be a hole in the middle where the throttle lever will come out of from underneath. What's the whole purpose? If you were watching earlier, it's "just" a switch for the LED lighted cupholder, plus anything else I want to wire up to it.
attachment.php

It's all about fun 'n' function. Hey, do you recognize the contour of the edge of the desk? I approximated that from the countertop in this image I found via Google:
5300356770_61e0230a79_o.jpg

That's SteveStarkiller's image, above. One other random thing. I recently got a lighted Luxeed U7 keyboard. It made it into the first photo. I can make the keys any color. More later.

Last edited:
How about this ceiling from Ralph McQuarrie's concept? I have an open area, it's already painted flat black. I could hang some beams and Sonotube cylinders. Those would be lit within. I also have a 4 x 6 white panel I could use as a light diffuser. Hmmm.
attachment.php

I wouldn't build it EXACTLY like that, but I would catch the major shapes and the spirit of it. You know, a complicated barrage of "things" that represent mechanical utility. It would be unlike anything people normally have in a house, that's for sure. It's more like a factory ceiling, like in a mechanical room.

GREAT IDEA! You could use PVC pipes for the smaller tubes and cut 1/2 ply into different sized panels. Adding pinstriping and various low profile greeblies will add depth! I LIKE IT! :)

Tonight I finished the desk! At last, you can see some full photos of the thing.
attachment.php

and
attachment.php

and
attachment.php

and
attachment.php

and
attachment.php

and
attachment.php

and
attachment.php

and
attachment.php

It has taken a couple years to get the door, the platform and the desk finished. Next I'll put a Millennium Falcon-style window in place. I have the frame done. Today I added some black window shades which will be painted with hyperspace star streaks. I have some phosphorescent paint for that. Along with some special lighting, it may turn out pretty good.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back