Star Wars movie set den build

AMAZING!!!!! That is fantastic! Do you see the light at the end of the tunnel or is there still more to do?

I'm still constructing details for the ceiling. There are a lot of things to build to arrive at a Star Destroyer-like ceiling. Boxes and lighting abound.

Mom saw the room for the first time Sunday. She liked it.

Over the weekend, I repainted much of the popcorn ceiling flat black. I had messed up many places where I put blue tape on it. Who knew that blue painter's tape and silver tape rips the black paint off the popcorn? While I had the flat black out, I widened some "stripes". One pic today...

attachment.php

Did you know that Google Images indexes all the images on this website? Yep. My room shows up in Google search results now. We're unintentionally famous! :lol

Attachments

• ceiling 32.jpg
    ceiling 32.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 2,405
Hell, that's how I found this awesome thread and subscribed!
Love it!

I must say I'm disappointed with the small number of views this new message area is getting. Ever since this thread was moved into the "costumes"-looking area, it doesn't get much notice. I see where this new area can have a new post that sits most of a day before another person's post comes along. I suppose readership will improve when people start looking into this "Popular Franchises" area where this Star Wars message has been spun off. Spun off like a Tie Fighter that's had a panel blown off by a laser cannon. :unsure Wobble-wobble-wobbling away from the camera, disappearing into far space.

I added more details to the power couplers. There are some green lights and a doodad.
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=257733&d=1385093882
Above you can see the one that's on the left side of my window, now has 2 hoses and two green "lights".
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=257734&d=1385093898
And my living room floor is home to construction of a long 10-foot ceiling panel. I've got a couple panels glued to the vinyl rails. And another two panels in front are being marked for hole-cutting. I'll find some way to have light come down through some rectangle holes here and there.

My wife will be glad when I am done with the large ceiling pieces. I'm pushing the limits of her patience. I have filled up part of the livingroom with building supplies, occupied the kitchen table with sub-assemblies, and now am taking up 10-ft of the livingroom walkway. :angel We can't wait to get this center section painted, glued, greeblied, and hung up.

I've gotta say, this is the most awesome room ever! I am now dreaming of applying these features to the "bonus room" above the garage (which is my "man cave"/kids game room). Ohhhh so jealous. (Where is the drooling emote??!?!)

Do it, man! It will be fun. :)

Wow, I just went through this entire thread...absolutely outstanding work here!
It's very cool to see how you first visualize what you want, and then make it happen.

Spent the last two nights going through this thread from start to finish, WOW! Very impressive stuff, love seeing how some simple techniques, basic tools & a truckload of creativity can create such an amazing finish. Look forward too seeing the finished product.

One thing I'm still curious about is the perforated horizontal strips 1/3 up the walls with the colored lights behind. Have you got any more photos about how these were created? Any detail shots of the light groupings? More HK eBay goodness or something else?

Regarding some of the more tedious, repetitive cutting tasks, it might be a bit late now but I suggest investing in a small/cheap plunge router. Then you can create templates for the shapes you need to cut & use a flush trim bit with a ball bearing which follows the template. Move the template along to the next spot, rinse & repeat for identical cuts every time. Much more efficient than rough cutting & sanding.

Just got back from the Indiana Comic Con at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis. First one for me. The 501st Legion was there. THIS happened.
SW Kilt Troopers.jpg
I knew there was a reason I stayed away from these things! Just kidding. It's Saint Patrick's Day weekend. No, they did not find the leprechauns they were looking for. :rolleyes

Back to my build. A couple people have asked about the unusual wall mouldings. I was able to easily and cheaply disguise the room's chair rail mouldings without ripping them off the wall. This sequence of 3 photos shows how I made those out of shiny metal furnace tape, vinyl eave trim, and reflective tape bits.
wall moulding installer 1.jpg wall moulding installer 2.jpg wall moulding installer 3.jpg
When the trim is seen in daylight, you can see through the holes that there is something metallic and shiny back there. When photographed, the random pieces of reflective tape show through the holes as if electrified, and in various colors.

I got some good ideas for more Star Wars details for my den at today's convention. I did particularly enjoy the 50-minute workshop on Prop Making put on by Cosplay4UsAll.com there. They even mentioned TheRPF as a good source of prop-making info. Right on! Seriously, my wife and I enjoyed everything we saw on the convention floor. The people-watching and creature-watching was hilarious!

It took three separate sittings for me to go through, and, most importantly, digest this entire thread. Time well spent, I must say. :)

Congratulations on such a detailed build, and thanks so very much for taking the time to share the process, methods, and images!

Totally Epic! build mate. This is coming along very nice.

Hey thanks for the supportive words! Tonight at my Millennium Falcon-style desk I enjoyed an iced tea vodka and Sprite concoction. It was fizzing in the lighted blue desktop cup holder. Of course I turned it "on" with the joystick switch. Someday I will get a suitable "Falcon" handle for it.
attachment.php

More later, if I can get some time to work on my ceiling decorations. There's electricity, lights, lenses, a support structure, stuff to paint, and a fan to install. Much to do yet.

Attachments

• blue cup holder.jpg
    blue cup holder.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 1,795

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back