Limited Run Star Wars Hydrospanner

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We’re ready for the first run of Hydrospanners. The first run will be ten. The price will be $70.00USD each+ shipping (shipping will be combined if more than one is ordered). United States shipping will be $15.00 for 2-Day Priority mail (flat rate). International will be determined case by case. The first ten are ready to go and will ship on complete payment with PayPal. If you make the first run please private message me your PayPal email address so I can invoice. To get on the list reply to this thread. First come first serve. Thank you to everyone who made this possible!!!

Technical Details.

The kit is one part. The Hydrosapnner is cast as a solid piece in Smooth On 65-D resin in grey (shade of grey varies). This is a resin cast so some air bubbles will need filling and sanding before painting. The overall dimensions are 12 inch length (304.8 millimeters) and 2 inch (50.8 millimeters)diameter at the widest point.

Hydrospanner kits.jpg

First Run
1) mrwax- DELIVERED
2) mbmcfarland- PAID
3) halliwax
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Original Post

I have been obsessed with Sci-Fi tools since I was a child... it's the reason I got into electronics and building things. My favorite is the Sonic Screwdriver from classic Doctor Who. I've been wanting to make tools from all the Sci-Fi I love. The hydrospanner was top of my list, but all the pausing VHS tape in the world never yielded a clear enough image to really make one.

Now thanks to 4K images people have posted on this forum (you guys are AWESOME) and some pictures of reproductions from Galaxy's Edge I decided I had enough to give it a go!!

I have modeled it in Fusion for 3D printing. The only thing I was unsure of was the size. I took an image I got on here of Harrison Ford between takes with the Hydrospanner perpendicular to the camera to figure out size. It is roughly 4 hand widths wide... my hand is about 4 inches wide so my guess is 16 inches. I received my print and it is comically large. Having it in my hand I decided to rescale it to 12 inches long. I am currently waiting on the new print to see how 12 inches looks and feels.

I plan to print one and make molds because it is too expensive to print multiple copies. I am considering offering solid resin copies as kits. So I'm checking if there is any interest. I'm definitely making 3 for myself, but I figured I could make a little of the mold cost back by selling a few. Below are picture of the model and the oversized test print. If you're interested respond to this email. I don't know cost yet, it will be easier to determine when I can measure the exact volume.

Hydrospanner Assembly Right.jpg
Hydrospanner Assembly Top.jpg
Hydrospanner Assembly Isometric.jpg
Hydrospanner test print.jpg

Last edited:
Cool idea and looks great. Interested depending on price. Have you considered a machined version? Might be impractical or cost prohibitive.

I have to admit, I'm surprised by the number of interested people!! That's great!! I should be getting my masters in mid July, so stay tuned.

I got a notice from Shapeways that they have shipped my order!! Should be here end of next week. I'll post some pictures of it when it comes in.

Slight hijack, just noticed in the photo that enaswede posted, is that an automotive dent puller in Han's toolbox?

Thank you all for your interest and comments. I have received the prototype and hope to have the mold done by July 12th(ish).

I am not interested in having the part machined for numerous reasons too boring to list. I actually did some lathe work at a previous job, a little milling too so I'm aware it's a reasonably simple part... but a lot of factors go into the price including volume. I don't believe there is enough interest to support a reasonably priced metal replica. It comes down to what's a reasonable price I can sell these at for an obscure prop with seconds of screen time. I could be wrong, feel free to let me know your opinions.

Again, thank you to everyone who's commented.

The cost issue totally makes sense and this is your project, so do what you need to! I like to idea of being able to turn it into a usable tool, and I personally will always prefer a metal item versus resin.

However, depending on price, consider me interested!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back