Star Wars ESB Ship, Help to Identify.

jimmyc

Can Anyone identify this ship at the end of Empire Strikes Back?

unknown.jpg

A friend and I have been wondering for some time about what it is... and it just occurred to me to just ask on here to see if anyone has an idea.

It can been seen in a few shots in the convoy at the end of the movie...

Thanks! :confused

Its another TESB quick and dirty, ive been looking to do this for a long time, but nothing ref wise has ever surfaced.
There is a build thread on it here in the forum, but its pretty idealised, seems to capture the profile well emough.
I live on hope some ref will surface. Lets face it, we never thought the Probe droid pods would ever get done.

Lee

hey thanks! Yea we have always look at it and wondered too.. This is a bit on a whim... there is a clone wars toy out now that kind of resemble it..(not that i follow them or even the clone wars in general, anyways) its called the Y-Wing Scout Bomber Here is a Link to a site i found with a lot of pictures of it.. i mean its all distorted to fit the toy.. just thinking outside the box.

In 1978, Battlestar Galactica was released, and was promptly sued because of too many similarities with "Star Wars". Then, in 1980, The Empire Strikes Back returned the favor by also creating a "Rag Tag Fugitive Fleet" of spaceships, just like in Galactica!

How do you like that? :facepalm

(The "Galactica" fleet is shown more and much better documented)

I havent seen the build thread ralphee was talking about, but at a quick glance dont you think it looks just like a blockade runner with two heads side by side?

wow, only a matter of time before we get some high rez pics of it...ah i knew i should have waited before starting mine!:facepalm

I know, right? I wish someone knew exactly what it is.. i have the SW models book at home.. I'll have to pick through it see if i find any good ones.. :)

Good eye finding that in the background of the video. Too bad the resolution is about as bad no matter what pic we've got (so far).

i found this in an ILM book i have called "Sculpting A Galaxy" sorry about the photo I took it from my cell and the image was kind of small... if there is interest i can scan it too.. i cant really tell if its the same ship from a different angle or a different ship.
unknown-1.jpg

EDIT: it does say its a BG ship from ROTJ but doesn't mean its not in Empire too...

That looks like the upside down fuselage of a Grumman TBM/TBF Avenger.

The circled area looks like the rear gunner position.
unknown-1.jpg

Last edited:
As a side note, just so it's not lost, check out this old thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/need-some-help-iding-model-1509/

All pics in the thread are busted, but someone posted a link to the pics elsewhere:

"Mystery ship"

That is a model that came from ILM back in the 1980's when I worked there - it could have been a protoype, a background ship, or somebody's lunchtime project. There are no provisions for lighting, or mounting.
Brandon Alinger Posted the first thread, after photographing the model at my house, but his image hosting must have been deleted. I reposted the images on the local garrison forum.
I still have it if anyone is interested in it.

It is not the ship in the beginning of this thread.

The pic of the ship on the workbench behind Steve Gawly is interesting, I had a ship on my desk for a while also -

http://www.cryogenesys.com/ilm/ilm_011.jpg

It is a protoype of the alien ship from "Explorers"

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back