Star Wars Episode VI - They didn't fix the lightsaber cross

i watched this scene last night on blu-ray. the thought occured to me, did Vader block Luke's strike to save the emperor's life? Or did he do it to save Luke from the dark side?

the line before is palpatine telling Luke to "take your Jedi weapon. strike me down with your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete." so in a sense by blocking Luke's strike Vader prevents Luke from turning to the dark side.

Also, suppose Luke had killed the emperor, then by the rule of 2 who is the new master? Since according to the rule of 2 the only way to become the new Sith Master is for the apprentice to kill the master. So wouldn't killing the emperor have made Luke the new master and Vader his apprentice?

I never thought about it that way. Vader have wanted the Emperor dead for years and Luke could've just cut his head off right then and there, so maybe he didn't want Luke turning to the dark side because he secretly cared for him, enough to kill the Emperor himself later on even..

038-LukeSkywalkersLightsaber(A).jpg

On Endor, when Vader ignites and examines Luke's green saber, vader's belt boxes are on BACKWARDS. Both of them! You can kind of see it on Vaders right (image left) box. The right box and left box were placed on the wrong sides of his belt.

Last edited:
Out of all the changes that Lucas makes to the trilogy, I don't get why he wont make the few changes that people might be able to get behind. Specifically cleaning up the lightsaber effects; especially in A New Hope.

Luke's lightsaber is still green in some shots, and the glow on the sabers is very rough and inconsistant. In the Darth Vader duel scene, there is apsolutly nothing illuminating Obi Wan's saber, and you can clearly see the stunt-rod undernieth.

Out of all the changes that Lucas makes to the trilogy, I don't get why he wont make the few changes that people might be able to get behind. Specifically cleaning up the lightsaber effects; especially in A New Hope.

Luke's lightsaber is still green in some shots, and the glow on the sabers is very rough and inconsistant. In the Darth Vader duel scene, there is apsolutly nothing illuminating Obi Wan's saber, and you can clearly see the stunt-rod undernieth.

Wait, STILL? The Obi-Wan rod thing is still in there even in the blu-rays?!

I swear, I do not get the mindset involved in how they handle these films. They fix some stuff, "fix" other things that didn't need fixing, BREAK several things, and then let sit some of the more obvious things that would be exactly what you'd EXPECT them to fix.

There's no logic to it. Why put rocks in front of R2? Was it for the 3D conversion so you can have something pop in the foreground in that shot? Why NOT restore the more muted ESB color palette or at least make the transition shots not visibly switch back to the old one before fading out? Why leave the Obi-Wan sabre thing alone, and NOT fix Luke's sabre color?

It's just this bizarre mix of changes that improve, changes that hurt, and ignoring other things and there's no consistency to it whatsoever.

It's stuff like this that makes me just skip buying these things altogether. I mean, say what you will about the artistic choices (Greedo shoots, Greedo doesn't shoot, whatever). They can't even get the technical details right. These are supposed to be these razzle-dazzle high-tech updates, and they seem to drop the technical ball with each release.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back