Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019 (April 11-April 15)

Discussion in 'Conventions and Prop Parties' started by ichnob, May 16, 2018.

1. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

n13_star_wars_celebration_2019_logo.jpg

Just announced, it will be at the McCormick Place in Chicago, IL. Not Anaheim or Orlando in preparation for Galaxy's Edge as most assumed.

Tickets and hotels will go live on June 5, 2018 at 12:00 noon CT.

Update 6/7/2018:
    5-day passes are also sold out. Saturday passes are at 60+% sold.

Update 5/31/2018:
    Website now has ticket prices available.

Adult 5-Day
    $215.00* Advance | $225.00* at the door

Adult 1-Day
    Thursday Bounty Hunter Preview - $55.00* Advance | $65.00* at the door
    Friday - $75.00* Advance | $85.00* at the door
    Saturday - $75.00* Advance | $85.00* at the door
    Sunday - $75.00* Advance | $85.00* at the door
    Monday - $75.00* Advance | $85.00* at the door

Kids 5-Day
    $100.00* Advance | $110.00* at the door

Kids 1-Day
    Thursday - $35.00* Advance | $45.00* at the door
    Friday - $35.00* Advance | $45.00* at the door
    Saturday - $35.00* Advance | $45.00* at the door
    Sunday - $35.00* Advance | $45.00* at the door
    Monday - $35.00* Advance | $45.00* at the door

Jedi Master VIP
    $850.00

Update 5/21/2018:
    Forcechella Karaoke party announced for 4/9/2019 @ 8pm CT. Location TBD, there will be karaoke and beverages

qfh75se8q9z01.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

My SWC history is lacking, is this the first time it will take place away from Anaheim or Orlando?

3. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

I thought I read some of the earlier ones were held in Denver.

4. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

[​IMG]
    I, for one, am incredibly thankful for this! I don't have the funds for a yearly trip to Orlando or Anaheim, so taking place in my backyard is fantastic! I've always wanted to go! I am not missing this for anything!

Mike J. and Thain like this.
  5. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes!!! only an hour-ish away!

6. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

This will be my first Celebration. Do RPF meetups happen, or does it tend to just be the big costume groups that hold meetups?

CT1138 likes this.
  7. Thain

Thain Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last year was my first Celebration and I had an absolute blast! I never expected SWC 2019 to be so close!

There was a small RPF meet up last year. About 7 of us I believe.

8. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

First was in Denver. 2 and 3 were in Indianapolis. 4 was in L.A. 5 and 6 were in Orlando. 7 was in Anaheim. Not counting the non-US ones.

I am... not thrilled. I didn't want Orlando again. I have nothing against Orlando, beyond Florida in general, but I would prefer to go there and spend that much time and money doing Disney and Universal and Cape Canaveral -- not try to do those and a Celebration.

Plus... *sigh* My first Celebration was III. They were definitely still learning how to do it. IV was awesome. I still feel it was the high-water mark for these. Wednesday through Monday. Movie marathon that first day, Fan Club only that Thursday, filled the L.A. convention center, ran 24 hours a day, was the last of them to have an LFL Archives exhibit... I was there the whole time and felt like we were only halfway through by the time it ended. I wanted more.

V I missed because of school.

So then I was really looking forward to VI, cuz everyone was saying how much better V was than IV. It was... very meh. Barely filled half the Orlando convention center, shut down in the evening, and, as for content, I was done after the first day and just trying to find ways to occupy myself for the rest of it. I have not been terribly impressed with how ReedPop run their shows, and Celebration is no exception to that. If this had been announced for Anaheim, in late summer to coincide with a preview of Galaxy's Edge, totally. As it is...? Cost/benefit analysis so far is skewing toward nope. Which sucks. I've been wanting a Celebration in the US again worth getting excited about.

Which, also, the dates... The first three were in April/May because they were right before each of the Prequels were released. IV was May for the 30th anniversary of Star Wars' premiere. V and VI were later in the summer for a variety of reasons, uncoupled as they were from release date significance... So why is this one in April? Last time I checked, Episode IX was still slated for a December release -- which surprised me, actually, as I thought they were finally getting back to Memorial Day as the traditional Star Wars premiere weekend. April in Chicago tends to still be in the 40s and 50s, with a nonzero chance of a blizzard.

So I'll echo what many others are saying. Why Chicago, and why April? Bonehead move, Lucasfilm...

Every other year, actually. Less frequently than that, earlier on. Frankly, I wish it still were every three to four years, so it feels more special. Also, it's awesome for you and others who live there, but what with hotel and food costs for the area around the convention center, the three of us who were looking at going, and sharing a room, are looking at an outlay of well over a grand each, not counting admission. For those of us who always have to travel to a Celebration, this is one of the fiscally-worse offerings so far.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    DentedGent likes this.
  9. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what do tickets for this event usually cost? There's no info at the link

10. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Tickets go on sale in early June, and it varies depending on whether you're getting one or more single-day passes, full-weekend pass, etc. I'm expecting something in the $150 range for full weekend.

11. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

Speculation is that price or slightly higher due to the additional day. 2017 VIP package was $700. But it allowed you early store access, front of panel line privilege, and front of autograph/photo op privilege if you also bought those.

12. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

With the CA and FL rumors floating around I kept assuming I'd be transporting 2 gigantic Pelican cases halfway across the globe again... The fact that I can hop in my truck and be to SWC 9 hours later sounds awesome. I already booked my hotel room. If I'm lucky enough to have the finger dexterity and internet speed to get VIP tickets I will be going that route this year.

13. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Me too!

For sure going!

14. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

There's some vitriol on the social media pages along with some FB groups. I'm happy to see genuine excitement from fellow RPF members. I'm mainly glad that I have a lot of soft parts for my Star Wars costumes.

15. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Just to granularize the reaction with pesky facts...

Chicago itself is not really that significantly more or less dangerous than any other large city. There are bad parts of town, but they are all over a mile away from where the convention center is. The conventional (hah) wisdom I see regarding "downtown" is "if you go inland of Michigan [Ave.], try to at least keep it in sight". I've read accounts from a 5'2" blonde white woman who has lived in Chicago for several years and even when she's had to go into one of the worse neighborhoods, she's had nothing worse than "you don't belong here" stares happen to her.

Now, logistics. There is only one hotel attached to the convention center, plus another that will be semi-attached that is still under construction (but will be done by Celebration). The next closest is a cheap -- in all senses of the word -- place about ten blocks away. Everything else is further. Which means driving or transit. Both the buses and the trains tend to be crowded, occasionally sketchy, often late, but are options for regular con-goers. If you're wrangling a costume (strongly advise against wearing same on public transit), it's going to be a small nightmare -- added to by where to store things once at the convention.

So, driving. Apart from typical legendarily bad city traffic issues, attendees at C2E2 were pretty unanimous in their hatred of the parking issues at and near the convention center. Mainly, nowhere near enough for the size of venue that it is, for the kinds of events they're trying to attract. Then there's the matter of break-ins, which have been reported. Only a few out of thousands, but I don't know who will or won't feel comfortable rolling those dice.

All in all, I'm going, along with two others. I have hotel thoughts, but we're waiting to see if one of our clubs will be getting a room block at the Hyatt before final decisions. I'm waiting to find out when the various mixers, meet'n'greets, and group photos will be, but we'll probably only be there for a couple days of the convention. I expect ReedPop will be typically light on the programming. And then we're going to follow (as best one can) Route 66 down to St. Louis, and then head back West across Kansas and such. We're finding Celebration itself to be more of an afterthought to the trip, which is unfortunate. But we also don't want to miss/skip another one.

16. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

While I'm not saying this to deter anyone.. (I am trying to go myself)....

I live roughly 1 hour away from Chicago....

and I 'would' say it can be very dangerous. TONS of murders (check the to date count!)

They dont call is Chi-raq for nothing! Your friends must be (very) lucky.

Mr Mold Maker likes this.
  17. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Oh please. I commute into the city almost every day. There's dangerous parts of every city. You wouldn't be caught in the Bronx or Compton at night any more than you'd be caught in Englewood or Gresham. But the convention isn't going to be in Englewood or Gresham, and as far as I know, nobody's rooming in those neighborhoods either. The convention is going to be at McCormick Place. That's the South Loop, right outside the heart of downtown, and DIRECTLY next to 3 of the city's most popular museums. (Seriously, guys, if you can make it to the Shedd Aquarium, the Adler Planetarium, or the Field Museum, do it! You won't be disappointed) Don't let people scare you away. Downtown Chicago is full of great food, historically good entertainment. and unlike NYC, the entire downtown is within walking distance of anything. You can visit the Sears Tower skydeck, then a 15 minute walk away you can get world famous Garrett's Popcorn. If the half hour walk from south Michigan Ave. to McCormick Place is too far for you, you can always take the bus. The 146 to Museum Campus runs frequently.

I love Chicago. I love working there, I love visiting, and I hope to live in the city limits one day. Cook County, on the other hand. Now there's some crooks.

18. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Dont get me wrong... I'm not saying 'dont go there' .... 'its a bad place'.

But I dont think telling people that going into the worst part of Chi-Town will only get you 'you dont belong looks'.. I dont feel thats very accurate or responsible. (not that IP was trying to 'sell anything') ;)

The crime and murder are up there like other big cities.

And yes,. Cook County does have some crooks.. and the jail there is no joke!

19. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How cold is Chicago in April?

20. oblagon

People are over-reacting. McCormick is fine and safe. I don't think anyone will wander to Austin or to the south side so again it'll be fine.

60-70ish. Not the North Pole weather people complaining seem to think we have.

CT1138 and Mike J. like this.
  21. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

100%... I've been to the bike show/swap meet there for many many years.

22. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Depending on the year, several inches of snow, or sunny and warm.

Pack everything.

23. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Sr Member

April is good may would be better in costume colder helps, as for the people saying Chicago is safe, what planet are you from, you cannot go anywhere south of McCormick place, do not wear a costume on public transit, after dark you will get harassed robbed killed, do not walk west of the convention center more than 2 blocks theres a no mans land essentially till clark street/chinatown, iff youre serious get a room a the Hyatt now. Park your car there order dominos dont leave till youre done. I want to go but my plan would be to get there early stay at the Hyatt and not leave for fear of traffic problems. CCW holders, I believe that hotel has a no guns policy. They should of held this further north on the magnificent mile more hotels and more safe

24. oblagon

Earth, what's your excuse?
    No one is or has said it's completely safe everywhere, so don't be ridiculous.
    Around the convention hall is perfectly fine and it's not as if police won't be out. Chinatown is fine along with Michigan Ave. by the convention hall and north on Michigan; which is were most will wander to anyway because of the food options.
    The L-train Chinatown stop by the convention is perfectly fine as well. Again just don't be stupid and watch your surroundings, like any city.

25. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Sr Member

uh, no. china town is safe once you get there, I wouldn't try to walk there from convention center after dark. the redline station at china town is safe, the green line station between chinatown and convention center is sketchy, going anywhere south of those stops is outright suicidal/dangerou unless youre going to a sox game. Criminals in Chicago dont even have the respect to rob you properly, they now push you down the stairs at the el and let gravity do the work. A few concealed carriers have shot a few bad guys, so the El is a no gun zone, so some muggings are on the increase there. Last week some dude tried to jump into my car on Garfield, I floored it, Im sure I'll get a redlight ticket. A friend was a victim of armed robbery in the U of C area just a few weeks ago. Last time my grandpa rode the El was the last time he wont ride it anymore its unsafe. Some guy yelled at him "what are you looking at" he wasnt doing anything, I told him people want to start stuff so they can claim they attacked/robbed you because you "dissed" them and blame you for their attack. The convention center is unsafe if you walk south of it period. After dark unless you are further north on Michigan ave you must go in a group. Look at it this way, south is sand people territory always unsafe, west has an asteroid field between you and safe area, might be ok if space slug isn't home, north is ewok country you need numbers and you'll be safe, north michigan avenue is pre death star days moon of Yavin, relatively safe. Id could tell you some frightening stories but my CPD buddy swore me to secrecy

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  26. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

Ticket prices updated on first post. The asterisk indicates there are taxes and fees. No tax and fee for VIP pass it seems.

27. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

$850 for VIP??? :eek

What do VIP tickets typically get you, out of curiosity? .

28. DoodleBug

DoodleBug New Member

I’m TOTALLY looking forward to Celebration! I’m a HUGE Star Wars fan, of course!
    I’ve never been to Chicago and I’m excited to see a new city that has some amazing museums as well as world class food!! BRING IT ON!!

29. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

This will also be my first time going.

Do VIP passes typically sell out quickly...?

Sean

30. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Within seconds. Literally.

31. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Drat...

Sean

32. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

From the website --

The Jedi Master VIP Package Includes:

• One (1) Jedi Master VIP Badge Featuring Exclusive Art
    • One (1) Official Show Poster (Rolled, complete with poster tube)
    • One (1) Commemorative Program Guide
    • VIP Lounge with coat check and concierge
    • Half Hour Early Access to Exhibit Hall
    • Half Hour Early Access to the Official Celebration Store each day
    • Exclusive Celebration Store private shopping experience on Thursday, April 11 at 11:00 AM
    • VIP Express Checkout Lane at the Official Celebration Store
    • Unlimited use of the Lightspeed Lane to enter the Official Celebration Store
    • Express Autograph Hall Autograph line pass and checkout for up to six (6) Autograph Sessions. Price of Autographs not included.
    • First Access to Panels at the Celebration Stage
      • We will be clearing the Celebration Stage after each panel. Jedi Masters will have first access to seats for each panel on the Celebration Stage. There will be no reserved seating, but you will have first choice of seats for each Panel on the Celebration Stage. You MUST arrive at least 40 minutes prior to the start of any Celebration Stage Panel you wish to attend.
    • One(1) Private Meet & Greet with select Star Wars Celebration guest or guests
      • Guest determined at the discretion of Star Wars Celebration and to be announced at a later date.
    • One (1) Original signed art print, created exclusively for Celebration Chicago Jedi Master VIPs
    • One (1) Extremely Limited Jedi Master VIP character pin shared only, in very limited amounts, with staff as a giveaway pin that will not otherwise be made available for sale to Star Wars Celebration Chicago Attendees.
    • One (1) Exclusive Jedi Master VIP Lanyard
    • One (1) Exclusive Jedi Master VIP Embroidered Patch
    • One time 10% off discount at the Official Celebration Store

33. DoodleBug

DoodleBug New Member

That’s a lot of cool exclusive stuff!!

As a first timer, you’ll have a blast! I’ve been to each one stateside since CIV in Los Angeles (and even the first Celebration Europe in London in 2007)! It’s a cool event!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  34. cinderbike

cinderbike Jr Member

Do the non-VIP sell out quickly or will I have a while to consider going? On the fence at the moment.

My guess is they scheduled it when the did so they can use it to launch the marketing campaign. I'm 100% sure we will get a title and cast reveal, but if the last two movies is anything to go by probably no trailer until later in the year. Maybe more news on the Boba Fett and Kenobi films.

35. DoodleBug

DoodleBug New Member

I believe you will have time on the non-VIP tickets. Those tend to be available.
    I have no opinion as for the reasoning for April vs December dates of the Celebrations, lol.
    I DO, however, hope Disney/Lucasfilm casts Ewan as Kenobi....

36. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I assume they have different events for different days. I'm choose a day and go but its hard to when I don't know what is going on that day.

37. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

Some hotel info:

So you can book your tickets, or try your luck at VIP tickets first, then get your hotel after.

masterjedi322 likes this.
  38. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone today going for VIP tickets and hotels. May the Force be with you.

39. darthwhitey

darthwhitey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So who got tickets and hotels?

I'd just like to chime in on Chicago as the venue. I'm from the area, and recently moved downtown. Went to Celebration 2 and 3 in Indianapolis back in the early 2000's. I also went to Orlando last April for Celebration 2017.

McCormick Place is a great location and it's close to downtown Chicago. This idea that Chicago is a dangerous city is kinda crazy. It's like any other big city. Yes the crime rate is high in certain areas, but you can say that about any city...I've never felt unsafe in or around McCormick Place at all.

As far as stuff to do while you're here, I think most geeks will focus on the Con...but if you want to go out and about, Chicago has plenty to offer with great restaurants, bars and night-life. The museums, Navy Pier and the lake front are wonderful as well.

As far as the weather, C2E2 (Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo) is about the same time in April. I've been the last 3 years and by mid-April the weather is just starting to break. Usually jeans and a sweatshirt are all you'll need. But it can also mean temps of 45 or 75...I mean, it's Chicago in April! haha. For those in costume the cooler temps will actually be nice.

I really think Celebration 2019 in Chicago will be a great change of pace! Looking forward to a RPF party or meet and greet!

40. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I missed out on the VIP tickets (Wow, those are gone in the first second) and on the Hyatt and other nearby walking-distance hotels (those were gone instantly as well). But I easily managed a regular 5-day ticket and one of the downtown hotels about 3 miles from McCormick Place.

This will be my first Celebration and I'm looking forward to it!

Dan

41. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

Didn't bother for VIP (got in late anyway), but boy, hotels were a mess. Similar to SDCC, wasn't able to get in through OnPeak fast enough. Luckily, managed to book outside the hotel block, though at a higher price than initially found 15 minutes prior to booking. So I'll be staying at the Congress Plaza, and looking to means of getting to the con and back without being forced to walk 40 minutes with uncomfortable boots and con exclusives, haha. There seems to be a Metra nearby that I can take advantage of, and worse comes to worse, I can take a rideshare.

Though I am going to keep an eye on the hotel block in case more pop up.

42. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Struck out on both...

I started checking for tickets at 30 minutes prior. Got right in the queue when it opened and VIP was already sold out... Total bummer. Ended up going with a 5-day pass.

Later, I went for a hotel. I was in the queue for almost 40 minutes. Finally get in. Start booking a room. Click the button. Get a messages that says someone booked the room while I was filling out the form... :angry

I later found a room 3 miles from the venue for just slightly over the block rate, so not totally happy, but it'll do, Donkey, it'll do...

Sean

43. el toro

el toro Well-Known Member

Got in the queue on the dot and had two VIP tickets in my cart and they disappeared when I tried to check out at 12:00:15 cdt.

44. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

Not only Jedi VIP passes, but 5-day passes are also sold out.

45. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

Will day passes be gone ?

46. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

Last I saw, Saturday is 80% sold, and Thursday preview night (which has no panels, just exhibit hall, artist alley, and maybe some autographs and photo ops) is 60% sold.

47. Thain

Thain Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

While waiting to find out if my cousin could go with me, we missed out on Saturday tickets. I can't believe they sold out within 5 days.

Looks like I won't be going, unless they release more tickets at a later date. Who knows the next time Celebration will be this close to me...:(

48. ichnob

ichnob Well-Known Member

They won't be releasing extra tickets at a later date. Best bet is to check the unofficial Celebration Facebook group at a later time when people can send passes they cannot use in hand, or the unofficial Celebration subreddit. Just be wary as ReedPop is apparently cracking down on attempted reselling. As there have been tickets popping back up for "refunded/cancelled" badges recently.

You could also go some of the other days and just visit Chicago on Saturday. I'm sure there are things to occupy yourself.

Thain likes this.