Star Trek Voyager Medical Tool "Drone"

renaissance_man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My replica of the medical tool seen in various episodes of Star Trek Voyager including "Basics Part 2" and "Drone".
I was lucky to get some very accurate measurements from the owner of the original prop. I had the emitter barrel machined from aluminium as well as the end pods. The body is 3D printed nylon with resin raised plant-ons and the side parts are the P2 10 turn dial with machined aluminium discs on the opposing face of the main body. The end emitter tip has a small piece of machined acrylic behind which sits a 5mm red LED powered by a coin cell in the blue main body section which is accessed by removing the silver end panel with the attached aluminium pods.

Drone-Medical-tool.png

Voyager-Drone-Medical-Tool-1.jpg

Voyager-Drone-Medical-Tool-2.jpg

Voyager-Drone-Medical-Tool-3.jpg

Voyager-Med-props-TFW.jpg

A video of the prop in action.

The 'business end' looks like a cross between an early series sonic screwdriver from Doctor Who (which started as a tool from the Thunderbirds television series).
Seems to me the prop makers paid some homages to both. :)
S0.jpgS1.jpg

Very nice, although you probably could have saved yourself some money and just used CO2 cartridges for the back part since that's exactly what they look like to me.
Thank you for the positive feedback.
I've seen the CO2 cartridges but only after I had already had the aluminium parts already machined.
Something to consider if I were ever to make a second replica.

Last edited:
Voyager is my fav series. Amazing job! I know all that metal work was probably a pretty penny, and while my opinion probably doesn't amount to much, can't argue with those results and that is a REALLY amazing replica!

Voyager is my fav series. Amazing job! I know all that metal work was probably a pretty penny, and while my opinion probably doesn't amount to much, can't argue with those results and that is a REALLY amazing replica!
Thank you.
I'm a big Voyager fan too.
The aluminium parts weren't cheap, but given the quality of the work it was worth every penny. Plus metal always gives that added weight and realism.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back