Star Trek TOS Wall Fabric?

Starbase101

Sr Member
Does anybody know what type of fabric was used for the wall panels fabric? These are the panels that were hung to cover camera openings, and the fabric on them looks different than that elusive red/gold checkered fabric seen on the beds. Also, any tips on the burgundy frame moulding would be helpful too!

WallFabric.jpg

Does anybody know what type of fabric was used for the wall panels fabric? These are the panels that were hung to cover camera openings, and the fabric on them looks different than that elusive red/gold checkered fabric seen on the beds. Also, any tips on the burgundy frame moulding would be helpful too!

View attachment 1374418
hi there, I'd like to know that too, thanks for asking. if I come up with an answer I'll let.you know. though, it is possible that it is the same fabric used on the bed as well

I've been studying a lot of screenshots and re-watching a lot of episodes again (oh darn...) and I'm not certain it's the same fabric, unless maybe flipped wrong-side-out. Many of the wall panels look more golden than the red/gold checkers on the bedding:
WallFabric2.jpg

But yet some panels look like they could be the same fabric:
KirkBed.jpg

The desk I've got ordered for my office remodel is gray with oak woodgrain desktop, and has a tackboard that I'm going to redress for matching these wall panels. First step is getting a good clear closeup pic of one, so more Trek must be watched....

Evidently this "Alexander Girard" fabric does not exist for sale anywhere and I'm not going to make it myself, so something similar that captures the essence will have to suffice.

There were runs of this fabric in the past.

Keep your eye out for when another run may happen

I agree, it's just lighting differences, especially the angle of the lighting, that is creating the different effect. I doubt that such a relatively low-budget tv show could afford too many different kinds of fabric etc.
It could just be lighting differences... The top edge of the wall panel looks reflective in the same way as the gold in the other photos.

Not sure if this is a useful lead:

It could just be lighting differences... The top edge of the wall panel looks reflective in the same way as the gold in the other photos.

Thanks for that link! But there is more of the replica fabric being produced right now so I'm going to try getting some of that.

This fabric had been reproduced by the makers of the internet fan made TOS series. Those guys have an absolute eye for detail. They even sold it briefly (yes, I inquired) but it was waaaayyyy too rich for my blood.

Yep, I have a conversation going with Dave and the red/gold version of the fabric is not the correct material for the wall panels which was more golden/yellow. The yellow variety might be offered in the future, upon which I will buy some.

This fabric had been reproduced by the makers of the internet fan made TOS series. Those guys have an absolute eye for detail. They even sold it briefly (yes, I inquired) but it was waaaayyyy too rich for my blood.
I just found your thread about the TOS desk - that's the same desk I was looking at but was too small for the amount of desk space I need. The owner of the shop that makes them is the same guy who sold me a set of unpainted rocker switches and the bezel frame.

At $118/yd and not the exact fabric, I think I'll wait for trekkerguy to do a run of the proper yellow/gold fabric, tentatively projected for summer 2021 and estimated to be $100/yd. Will cost less and be more accurate.

Further research reveals in the episode "Space Seed" that indeed a second color of the checkered fabric was used on the show. The banquet tablecloth is most definitely a mustard yellow color with gold and not the rusty red color:

SpaceSeed.jpg

SpaceSeed2.jpg

I'm now convinced the wall panel fabric was not the same material used on the beds.

I just paid $1.39 (total) for 5 yards of a Star Trek-y gold with gold thread fabric at the GoodWill.

Now I just have to figure out where I saw something like this on the show....maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't resist $1.39 anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2091[1].JPG
    IMG_2091[1].JPG
    825.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2092[1].JPG
    IMG_2092[1].JPG
    692.2 KB · Views: 55
Yep, did a quick browse through Google images, and didn't see anything exact.
It's hard to see in the photo, but it is gold woven mesh cloth and a highly reflective gold thread entwined with the gold weave.

Reminds me of the mirror universe sashes a bit...if it were more gold, and less Kirk uniform color.

Attachments

• trek 1.jpg
    trek 1.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back