Star Trek: TMP Director’s Cut 4K

I happened to catch that all the chapters of the new Documentary on TMP—“The Human Adventure”—that is part of the TMP DE 4K set, is available on YouTube.

It’s a good one with lots of behind the scenes footage that I had never seen before.

Last edited:
I only just now finally upgraded to a nice, big 4K TV, and the TMP DE was the first 4K disc I tested it with.

Stunning. Looks nearly as good as it did in the theater, a few months back. Lots of little details I’d never before noticed. The Dolby Atmos mix (annoying new red alert klaxons aside) gave my new Atmos-compatible soundbar a good workout, and the detail, color, and beauty of the Trumbull/Dykstra effects is a thing to behold. It really is a movie you need to see on a big screen (65”, in my case) to properly appreciate and become immersed in.

The recomposited shots of the orbital office complex and the Enterprise in drydock are jaw-dropping. That classic, front-view shot of the ship pulling out of the dock (with Earth properly composited in for the first time, and the outline of model’s support arm removed) may now actually be my single favorite image in the film. Pin-sharp, colorful, and truly artful. As much as I love ILM’s work in the subsequent films, that model never, EVER looked better than it did the way Trumbull lit and shot it.

And, as ALLEY notes, the documentary (actually a series of featurettes on specific subjects) is excellent. The one about the redesign and filming of the Enterprise was shown in theaters prior to the DE screenings in May.

It still amazes me that the unique musical sound of V’Ger, provided by the famous “Blaster Beam” instrument, was performed by Tommy Starns (Craig Huxley) from And The Children Shall Lead…

191F328D-D812-4738-AF63-771EFAC22EA3.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, hey, gee, the Okudas’ 2001 text commentary for the film has been updated, with a few tweaks here and there. Although “Worf” is mistakenly spelled “Wort”, at one point.

And then there’s this:

19BFA4DD-75FD-435C-B3B2-9EB8475BB155.jpeg
A852DB6A-D590-4520-8883-00ECAA3DE93B.jpeg
58C7C79D-A84A-4CAE-928A-F7CBA752D996.jpeg

I can only assume that the Okudas’ continuing quest for relevancy post-2009 has extended to towing the CBS/Paramount party line by polluting an otherwise great 4K boxset with this apocryphal tidbit.

Sigh.

Well, hey, gee, the Okudas’ 2001 text commentary for the film has been updated, with a few tweaks here and there. Although “Worf” is mistakenly spelled “Wort”, at one point.

And then there’s this:

View attachment 1618625View attachment 1618626View attachment 1618627

I can only assume that the Okudas’ continuing quest for relevancy post-2009 has extended to towing the CBS/Paramount party line by polluting an otherwise great 4K boxset with this apocryphal tidbit.

Sigh.

I just threw up in my mouth…

Sigh.
The word apocryphal means something is of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.
Nothing the Okudas' have said is untrue here.

The word apocryphal means something is of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.
Nothing the Okudas' have said is untrue here.
I think many of us would agree that Classic Trek commentary should be limited to, well, Classic Trek and it’s contemporary history vs. shoehorning in those elements that have come thereafter.

It’s a question of appropriateness and applicability to the subject matter….there was no (clears throat) “adopted sister” in existence for Spock to consider as a character element in TMP. It is a meaningless detail that, again, amounts to meaningless shoe-horning and ads nothing to the story or production.

Last edited:
It’s a question of appropriateness and applicability to the subject matter….there was no (clears throat) adopted sister in existence for Spock to consider as a character element in TMP. It is a meaningless detail that, again, amounts to meaningless shoe-horning and ads nothing to the story or production.
Nor was there a half brother.

Nor was there a half brother.

I don’t disagree there…but for the fact that a half brother is part of the history of Classic Trek and would be a fact worth mentioning as part of those series of films that TMP is directly a part of. Quite a bit different than the tales of Discovery being shoehorned in any way into this film.

I think many of us would agree that Classic Trek commentary should be limited to, well, Classic Trek and it’s contemporary history vs. shoehorning in those elements that have come thereafter.

It’s a question of appropriateness and applicability to the subject matter….there was no (clears throat) adopted sister in existence for Spock to consider as a character element in TMP. It is a meaningless detail that, again, amounts to meaningless shoe-horning and ads nothing to the story or production.

I would have been annoyed if they'd inserted NX-01 into the Rec Dec display of ships called Enterprise. Thankfully, they didn't.

I don’t disagree there…but for the fact that a half brother is part of the history of Classic Trek and would be a fact worth mentioning as part of those series of films that TMP is directly a part of. Quite a bit different than the tales of Discovery being shoehorned in any way into this film.
It's not shoehorned in at all. It's a commentary track discussing canon information about the character. Discovery is as canon as the Final Frontier when the track was included. To omit one while directly talking about the other would be odd.

It's not shoehorned in at all. It's a commentary track discussing canon information about the character. Discovery is as canon as the Final Frontier when the track was included. To omit one while directly talking about the other would be odd.
We will have to agree to part ways on that point of view and leave it at that.

Saw this in theaters last night. Was a bit disappointed they didn't even try to clean up the matte lines and the jittery composites. The chat in the lounge was especially bad.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back