Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

I think you mean "Final Mission", but that didn't have the TNG hand phaser, just Captain Dirgo's surplus, half-century-or-more-old TSFS style phaser II's. Are you maybe thinking of "The Game", where Wes set a TNG phaser I to randomly fire at a force field to make folks think that's where he was?
Yeah that's the one, been a long time since I've seen these.

What was the rationale for the smaller removable phaser anyway? Like you're going to say "Well I don't want to be too noticeable when I stun that guy so I think I'll take the little phaser today."

Maybe for those missions where you wanted to be a bit more discreet so you carried the "crickets" instead of a full phaser. And for ease of logistics/storage they made it so they formed part of the larger full sized phasers. That or for situations where they want to be tricky/sneaky, they can secretly remove the smaller phaser while tossing the larger one aside to appear to be throwing their weapons down.

I always saw it as the Type I phasers (holdout phaser) having a lower battery capacity and packing less overall punch. Good for self defense, light combat, and basic utilitarian purposes.

Instead of having two separate weapons, the Type I (with the basic fire control circuitry) was merely inserted into the holding slot of the Type II, which was essentially a larger battery and extended settings, basically upgrading the Type I with more power and punch.

That's my headcanon, anyway.

That was exactly their intent, Phaser 2 increased the power and had more settings, the battery pack was the pistol grip.

We never got to see Phaser 3 which supposedly would have incorporated Phaser 2 into a rifle stock

I always saw it as the Type I phasers (holdout phaser) having a lower battery capacity and packing less overall punch. Good for self defense, light combat, and basic utilitarian purposes.

Instead of having two separate weapons, the Type I (with the basic fire control circuitry) was merely inserted into the holding slot of the Type II, which was essentially a larger battery and extended settings, basically upgrading the Type I with more power and punch.

That's my headcanon, anyway.

The Phaser One / Phaser Two unit is the most forward-thinking and game-changing sci-fi weapon that has ever been DESIGNED from the ground-up and not simply a redress of an existing firearm with random greeblies mounted on it, or an item that was only defined by being “a weird looking zap gun”.

Like Shatner’s pronunciation of “sabotage” as “Saba-taj”, I never question the brilliance of this design :)

4BCD891B-BD5B-4B7B-BEC9-3F938E0FD83E.jpeg

1366E4B9-DFA1-4FE7-81F9-B793741C8F1D.jpeg

Consider its contemporary, for context and comparison, from “Lost In Space”:

72A6069F-74D0-4CF8-BC49-9E2CC28E13FB.jpeg

51CAC074-825E-4D8A-9BCF-991DD6372606.jpeg

Last edited:
Meh I liked TMP’s design better.

For me there is only ONE design and that is the ones in TOS
Fair. I'm just saying there's precedent for the P2 getting stuff added to make it a P3. I need to run it down, but there was someone who was working on a similar approach for the TOS phaser: a shoulder stock magnetically clipped to the rear of the P2, the emitter housing unscrewed, and a new longer barrel added. The hard part he was running into was making all the aesthetics look consistent.

But I'm one who does like the assault phaser, though I think it should have been in conjunction with the one from TSFS, and not replacing it. Shatner specifically wanted something that fellt ruggedized for when one knew one was going into a situation where it would get knocked around in close action. Not more genteel like the TOS/TSFS one. I like it for what it is, what it was meant to be, and I like that carbine concept that ended up unused for TUC.

Oh I have seen 3 fan made versions made, you do enough conventions, 30 years worth you see a LOT of stuff.

For me if it is not on the screen then it is not canon so....

Anyone know where I can find a good full video of the famous William Shatner SNL sketch "Get a Life?". I can find only snippets of it on Youtube. I would like the entire thing.

Not sure if asked before but after bingewatching STV again while sick on the couch with my son we are curious if the borg survived end game episodes? The queen is dead and the home compound destroyed.

Second one, if they survived and the remaining drones could have re established a functioning collective again and go on as before?

Not sure if asked before but after bingewatching STV again while sick on the couch with my son we are curious if the borg survived end game episodes? The queen is dead and the home compound destroyed.

Short answer: Yes :p

Long answer is the queen's "mind" could simply just be downloaded into a new body.
(Björn) BORG 4 EVER!

Last edited:

Second one, if they survived and the remaining drones could have re established a functioning collective again and go on as before?
To expand on The Terminator's answer, Unimatrx One was severely crippled, a good chunk of their transwarp network was destroyed or disabled, another iteration of the Queen was destroyed... but the Borg are, by nature, decentralized and widespread. They've been at this, per Guinan, for "thousands of centuries". I highly doubt we're the first to deal them a serious blow. As with Neo and the Matrix, I expect the particulars are different each time it happens. Perhaps something is lost each time -- some information can never be recovered -- and undoubtedly something is gained, as they adapt to each new strategem. The transwarp network can be restored in time, the Queen is a regulatory node that only highly-neuronal/synaptic species can house, and if it's a different species than the previous contemporary Queens, perhaps some of that "biological distinctiveness" will shade things.

The post-series Relaunch novels do deal a little with how resilient Borg tech is. The real trick would be for Starfleet to muster everybody and follow up before they could bounce back. Would make a good backdrop core premise of ongoing stories set in and after that time period. But they seem to have forgotten that ball is there for them to pick up, going by ST:O and the post-Nemesis novels. It's actually one of the few things they might be hinting at with Picard that has me even tacitly hopeful/curious.

That makes sense. Was just a question we both had at same time.

Now someone should make a ST the borg series. I would watch a series of how a small world iether by accident/mistake or knowledge became the borg.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back