Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

Inquisitor Peregrinus

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If Chekov mans the weapons console, why does Sulu fire the phasers?
In which? TOS? Sulu was helm, which included weapons targeting. Chekov was navigation. TMP? Chekov controlled everything from the weapons station. TWOK? The Enterprise had taken a pounding from Khan's surprise attack. No one was at the weapons station when Kirk needed to surprise Khan back, and they hadnt found Chekov yet... Running out of movies, here.

Sluis Van Shipyards

Master Member
I was watching the episode "The Last Outpost" of TNG and they show the crew going over a hologram in the briefing room being displayed floating above a table. I can't recall seeing them using a floating hologram in TNG after that or in any other ST. Am I nuts and just not remembering or did they never do that again?

Inquisitor Peregrinus

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
They did, several times. Geordi demoing the virus-containment assembly in S2's "The Child", Picard contemplating a weird planetary orbit later in S2, and so forth. It didn't happen often, but it did happen. As for later series, DS9 (the station) didn't seem to have much luxury in that area. Which makes sense for a former industrial processing facility. It had been starting to get some creature comforts by the time the Dominion War broke out. Two steps forward, one step back. And I seem to remember a couple instances in Voyager, but I don't re-watch that series much, and would have to go back and check...

The Terminator

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
They did, several times. Geordi demoing the virus-containment assembly in S2's "The Child", Picard contemplating a weird planetary orbit later in S2, and so forth. It didn't happen often, but it did happen. As for later series, DS9 (the station) didn't seem to have much luxury in that area. Which makes sense for a former industrial processing facility. It had been starting to get some creature comforts by the time the Dominion War broke out. Two steps forward, one step back. And I seem to remember a couple instances in Voyager, but I don't re-watch that series much, and would have to go back and check...
Voyager had a freaking EMH ;)

Sluis Van Shipyards

Master Member
:D I know that! I just didn't remember them using holograms for anything other than the holodeck and the EMH. I didn't remember them doing what I described and displaying a schematic. Usually they are doing that on the computer panels on the walls.

The Terminator

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
:D I know that! I just didn't remember them using holograms for anything other than the holodeck and the EMH. I didn't remember them doing what I described and displaying a schematic. Usually they are doing that on the computer panels on the walls.
Item number 46 gazillion, that the folks making STD and STP have missed.

AJK001

Sr Member
During season 2 of STD Pike kept on complaining about the holograms for communication and by the end of the season it was specifically noted that they had been removed from the Enterprise while it was being repaired so that by the time TOS came around it would explain why they didn't have them back in 1966. Just like jumping STD into the future I think this was in response to fans complaints about cannon but if they had just put STD into the future in the first place who would have cared about all of that.