Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

We never got to see any crab-like or Xenomorph Borg, correct? Perhaps the Borg only assimilate sentient species, which limits them to basically humanoid type?

But thanks to Picard, at least we know what the Borg EVENTUALLY end up looking like...

r-trek-picard-1651838434.jpg?crop=0.416xw:1.00xh;0.jpg

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
It's one of the frustrations out here in the real-world, looking at production decisions. Originally, the Borg didn't "assimilate" civilizations. They just absorbed technology like locusts. When Guinan and Q gave their little presentation on them, it wasn't couched in speculation or guessing. It was confidently stated that the Borg species had been evolving in conjunction with their technology for "thousands of centuries". There were Borg babies on the ship they visited. There was no Queen.

Frankly, I have felt every appearance of the Borg since has been a further de-evolution of the concept. They were cold and relentless as first presented in "Q Who". By First Contact, they had become bumbling and brainless -- and oddly slimy and mottled, as opposed to their original dead-pale appearance. There were two good Borg moments after "Q Who", IMO. At the beginning of "Scorpion", when the Voyager was overtaken by over a dozen Borg ships that utterly ignored them past a cursory scan, that was how the next encounter following their introduction should have been. And, also Voyager, "Unity". Yes, it requires that whole assimilation thing, but I liked the characters, and when they used their neural link to heal Chakotay and he heard them in his mind, as their individual voices gradually merged into that Borg polyphony... Nice.

So, the real-world answer is two-fold. Originally, the Borg were their own distinct Humanoid race, so there weren't any other species represented. Later, realities of budget mandated Humanoid Borg, but not exotics. Frankly, I'm so resentful of the debased original concept that my knee-jerk answer is that it's because there's only one Borg species and all the rest is "continuity is for wussies" revisionism that I, really, don't want to have to rationalize for them because the original concept was just fine. GOD, I wish we'd gotten to see the conflict with the Borg Maury had in mind...

As Enterprise started wrapping up, I remember some fan theories that the finale was going have the crew travel back in time and get stricken with a virus or plague or something… They’re only way to combat it was to leverage nanotechnology, which would eventually lead Capt Archer and crew becoming the first generation of the Borg.

I thought it was a very creative idea and incredibly frightening to think some of Starfleets first heroes would eventually become their greatest enemy.

Instead, we got that POS that was the Enterprise finale…

Sean

I could also have gone with the Queen's species realizing the Borg were coming, creating their own version of the process to try and be equal to the threat, only to become quasi-Borg themselves, and they were the slimy assimilating cyborgs we saw in "BoBW" and First Contact and Voyager and such. If Hugh in "I, Borg" and the fallout from his individuality we saw in "Descent" were proper Borg, that would have been a lovely dichotomy. After "thousands of centuries" of eradication and absorption, the Borg are now individuals again... While one of their early victims who fought back became a version of the very thing they had tried to prevent being destroyed by.

Since Enterprise already had them dealing with the Borg, without realizing it, and since it was the Queen's Borg, I could actually see that scenario you describe playing out if they got flung back by that same tech from the sphere that brought it back in First Contact. By whatever transwarp-y mechanism, they find themselves at the Queen's species' homeworld and warn them about the Borg, but end up becoming the first victims of the nanoprobes.

Maury. Maurice Hurley. Late season one through season two TNG. Fresh off of Miami Vice. Guy knew what he was doing. Did his best to enforce Gene's edicts. The writers complained to Gene when Maury wouldn't let them do something. Gene told Maury to let them, contravening his own instructions. Maury got fed up with the lack of consistency from the showrunner. That and corporate interference saw him quit in disgust at the end of season two. He's the one who fired Gates and brought in Doctor Pulaski. I've seen pretty solidly split opinions on who people prefer. I like both for different reasons, but Pulaski definitely brought something that Crusher hadn't. Regardless, the rest of the main ensemble hated that she'd been brought in to replace Gates, and never wamed to her or made her feel welcome.

I have said before I find Maury's tenure the most infinitely rewatchable TNG. I'll start around "We'll Always Have Paris" and go through "Peak Performance". There are definitely good episodes after that, but those I can just watch in a chunk without skipping. Even the less-stellar offerings in there I still enjoy. The tone of the show shifted in some hard-to-define way from season three on.

He wanted to do an ongoing plot thread. The Powers That Be nixed it, for all the old BS reasons. Audiences wouldn't be able to follow the story, it couldn't be syndicated, blah blah blah. He still did his best to work in pieces of the arc. The Borg scout ship poking around the Neutral Zone in, well... "The Neutral Zone". The space-charybdis they encountered in "Time Squared" was originally supposed to be Q, conducting some sort of test before actually appearing in "Q Who". The Borg were supposed to arrive at the end of the season, in force, as Guinan warned. Picard would likely face a board of inquiry over his role in how he handled that initial encounter (pissing off Q, repeatedly ignoring the advice of the person on board who knew anything about that part of the galaxy or the Borg, not finishing them off and giving them a chance to adapt to Starfleet weaponry...). The following season would have been the Alpha Quadrant powers coming together to defeat them.

Between the writers' strike, network obdurance, Gene's lack of support, and the writers' bitchiness, he gave them all the middle finger and went on to other things.

I don't know what the refers to, but all I can think of is a Borg reading paternity tests for some female Borg that was "assimilating" every male on the planet they were attacking.
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us... and you are NOT the father!!"

What exactly is Impulse Power and how does it work?
There's been a lot of conflicting stuff over the years, as misinterpretations of the original show crept in more and more. The modern notion is that it's a simple Newtonian force-counterforce fusion rocket. Rick came up with the overly complex and clunky "force field thrust diverters" to account for reverse impulse.

But going back to the speculative-fiction underpinnings of TOS, the stuff they were getting from Isaac Asimov, the RAND Corporation, and what NASA and the US Air Force said they were working on that would be coming over the next decades, and going by design cues Matt Jefferies put on his ships and spread out tidbits he dropped in interviews... One thing he was clear on, from early pre-production, was that this ship wasn't going to be rocket-propelled. No Flash Gordon flames coming out of any of the engines. He knew whatever the warp engines did to warp space/time, it took and generated a lot of energy that was likely not too healthy for organic beings, so he put those pods way out away from the ship. And for the sublight drive, he came up with a lower-intensity version of the same principle, that's in the name. Every engine cycle, it provides an impulse in the desired direction.

Given that he put a reactionless drive assembly on his 1990s-era Botany Bay, I'm comfortable saying he presumed we were going to come up with artificial gravity and gravity manipulation within the next quarter century, at the rate we were progressing. I also like that impulse and warp are related, but very different in scale of effect. As one of the characters in Diane Carey's novel "Final Frontier" put it, explaining the differences to a confused security officer, "Warp is as far above impulse as impulse is above walking."

There's a bit in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" where the creation of the infinite improbability drive was described. They had been able to make finite improbability drives for ages, but infinite improbability kept eluding them, and they wrote it off as a virtual impossibility. Then, one evening, a graduate student was sweeping up the lab and found himself reasoning thusly: "If it's a virtual impossibility, then it stands to reason that it's a finite improbability. All I need to do is work out exactly how improbable it is." He did this, fed the number into a finite improbability generator, turned it on, and materialized the infinite improbability drive out of thin air.

That's almost how I feel about Cochrane's invention of the warp drive. It wasn't some totally unique technology, never before seen in all of Human existence. He took an impulse coil, said to himself, "Hmm... What happens if I take a bunch of these, stack 'em, and run a whole lot of power through them?" One coil distorted the continuum enough for a ship to slide "down" the gravitational incline at fractional-c speeds, even getting fast enough relativistic effects became a factor. His thing was making a coil stack powerful enough that it could distort space/time past the apparent local threshold of the speed of light. We had impulse pwer in the 1990s, and he broke the light barrier seventy years later. That's roughly the same span as Kitty Hawk to Apollo, so it must've seemed plausible at the time.

Another sidebar into the no glow in TOS versus the glow from TMP on... The Phoenix almost certainly didn't have antimatter or dilithium. Early drive systems were almost certainly nuclear powered. Fission and, later, fusion. Even early warp ships. Part of the speed improvements of the previous cornerstone class before the Constitution was probably introducing antimatter power. But it would have been rare and valuable, and only used for the warp drive. In TOS, there seem to still be fusion generators in impulse engineering, and they're powered separate from the warp drive. In TMP, a big feature of the new ship is the vertical intermix shaft running up through the dorsal to an "impulse deflection crystal", and dialogue that indicates at least some ship's systems that previously hadn't been are now powered directly from the warp engines. Andy pointed out "backup" fusion generators in the impulse deck, but it seems that was the advent of antimatter-powered impulse engines as the new standard. Even if starships are speed-governed to prevent strong relativistic effects, that'll let them accelerate a lot faster.

All of the impulse decks we see seem to be rigged with aft-facing heat radiators that probably also serve double duty venting waste gas from the fusion reactors (or, later, spent warp plasma) back along the typical direction of flight, so they don't plow into their own wake.

I watched The Measure of a Man the other day. While this might be my favorite TNG episode it raises a few questions. Why would the subject of Data being Starfleet property even be an issue? Didn't Data freely join Starfleet? It wasn't like he was drafted into service. Why would they even begin to think that they own him? Was Dr. Singh working for The Federation when he built Data? Would Data's parts be considered Federation property?

If you found a cell phone with no owner, and the digital assistant on the phone swore its allegiance to you... can the same digital assistant later choose not not serve you? no, it's a phone. it does as it's programed because it's a thing. and if you want to wipe it clean and start over with a factory reset, you can.

That's about the same with data (at least as far as a lot of star fleet was concerned), he's a thing that star fleet came into possession of. They studied it, interacted with it, but it was still theirs. It "chose" the next form of interaction, by asking to join star fleet. Star fleet said "why not put this thing through training and use it as an officer".

At least that's the argument of the folks that wanted to strip him for parts, and make a dozen of him for the security teams on each star ship in the fleet.

Last edited:
If you found a cell phone with no owner, and the digital assistant on the phone swore its allegiance to you... can the same digital assistant later choose not not serve you? no, it's a phone. it does as it's programed because it's a thing. and if you want to wipe it clean and start over with a factory reset, you can.

That's about the same with data (at least as far as a lot of star fleet was concerned), he's a thing that star fleet came into possession of. They studied it, interacted with it, but it was still theirs. It "chose" the next form of interaction, by asking to join star fleet. Star fleet said "why not put this thing through training and use it as an officer".

At least that's the argument of the folks that wanted to strip him for parts, and make a dozen of him for the security teams on each star ship in the fleet.
Only problem with that is "what happens if someone wipes them and programs them against you?

With the advent of Zoom calls, and everyone now aware of awkwardly placed cameras that show more upward nostril shots Thani care to see, I’ve always wondered where the cameras are on those tense bridge screen to bridge screen placed? Are they under the main viewer, or ceiling mounted? The image always makes it appear that it’s a free floating lens in the middle of the bridge. Also are they fitted with an AI that knows when a dramatic point is being made and it ensures that the speaker is in full frame!

I’ve always wondered where the cameras are on those tense bridge screen to bridge screen placed?

Most video images are created from a 3 dimensional sensor scan. The the image is a fully rendered realtime computer reconstruction, thus allowing the camera to be placed anywhere. Remember the view screen is a fully 3d display viewable from any angle.

With the advent of Zoom calls, and everyone now aware of awkwardly placed cameras that show more upward nostril shots Thani care to see, I’ve always wondered where the cameras are on those tense bridge screen to bridge screen placed? Are they under the main viewer, or ceiling mounted? The image always makes it appear that it’s a free floating lens in the middle of the bridge. Also are they fitted with an AI that knows when a dramatic point is being made and it ensures that the speaker is in full frame!
Probably more than one place; in TMP, Uhura and Chekov both contacted Kirk in his quarters and seemed to have cameras at their individual stations. I would suspect the brigde has (for flight recorder purposes) cameras all over the place. We certainly see in Engineering that they had recorders that caught what happened between Spock and McCoy./

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back