Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

I was disappointed things didn't take off more, back then. I liked the wave one figures. I liked that Enterprise. I was surprised the phaser I they made was so big and clumsy -- the tech was not unattainable to make it smaller, even then. Then Playmates came along and their stuff was nice. But that gap was frustrating and I never really got into Playmates' figures (or, because of that, the playsets).

20114366-D8DA-4101-9E2E-ADDD1C170454.jpeg

I do like my diecast smaller…. I’ll have to check em out

A guy in Facebook marketplace has a rather large Kahn enterprise model that looks tempting

I really gotta be careful… last thing I need is a collection of star fleet ships just cuz I finally decided to watch the movie franchise

I’m so easy about falling into props of whatever I’m watching… cuz I’m also watching the orville and looking for models of that now!

Star Trek V tonight! The only one I remember watching as a teen and liking (tho trek fans at work verbally beat me for sayin that)

Johnny Lightning also does small Trek ships. And Strikerkc -- do you mean the Starship Tactical Combat Simulator originally put out by FASA in the late '80s? That Ral Partha made the minis for? And that I have the 3D models to print in that same wee scale? ;)

Ha. I've seen the older ones, but I didn't figure the ships were easy to get a hold of from that one. I'm talking about the one that was actually kind of the precursor to the x-wing game that's out now.

In all honesty, the miniatures from the star trek version were terrible, by the standards of most anyone on RPF.

The ones from the X-wing game, on the other hand, are pretty darn nice. Especially if you're just looking for a couple cool little ones to set on your desk or something.

Ha. I've seen the older ones, but I didn't figure the ships were easy to get a hold of from that one. I'm talking about the one that was actually kind of the precursor to the x-wing game that's out now.

In all honesty, the miniatures from the star trek version were terrible, by the standards of most anyone on RPF.
The more recent one? 'Cause the old Ral Partha minis were nice. I lusted after them brokely all through high school and then they were gone. Thank god for captainmojo on Thingiverse. Here is a gestalt of their old adverts, circa 1986:

FASA_gaming_miniatures_assortment.jpg

The more recent one? 'Cause the old Ral Partha minis were nice. I lusted after them brokely all through high school and then they were gone. Thank god for captainmojo on Thingiverse. Here is a gestalt of their old adverts, circa 1986:

View attachment 1673506
They still have them out there on the secondhand market, albeit a bit expensive:

View attachment 1673506
I had a ton of those back when I was actively playing Star Fleet Battles. Still have the game, not the models. Ought to try to play again.

As I said, I have some pretty nicely-detailed 3D models of the Chandley, Andor, Larson, Loknar, Baker, the Romulan Nova, Bright One, Winged Defender, Gallant Wing, Whitewind... And, of course, the Constitution, Enterprise, Miranda, Excelsior, Constellation, and a bunch of other classes.

The more recent one?...

Yup, the more recent one. Star Trek "Attack Wing", I think. The minis for it were super duper "ok". :p

I know any of the older ones that came unpainted tended to be nice. they're just fewer and farther between. At least they were the last time I knew anyone that looked. Maybe the online collectors market has brought enough of them out of the woodwork that they're plentiful and cheap now.

I recently picked up a few Star Trek 35 mm film strips that were sold by Lincoln Enterprises, back in the 1970’s / 1980’s.

Two frames of Shatner, that were clearly taken during “The Corbomite Maneuver”, caught my eye (he’s standing in the Fesarius set)…

This footage does not match any of the footage in the broadcast episode. Is it a cut scene? Is it test footage shot as the series was getting started (this was the first episode filmed when they went to series)?

What really caught my eye is Shatner’s hair…what exactly is going on with his toupee, here? The hairline and styling of the hair does not match what is seen either in the episode, itself, or the series. Is he without toupee, here?

016BBC01-531F-41A4-9B1F-71BA814DF9D0.jpeg

The toupee seen in “The Corbomite Maneuver” for comparison:

7088DEA9-DB54-4654-B123-7CE7F325B3B7.jpeg

7A95AD26-4B32-49ED-A302-989F252527C0.jpeg

It’s actually closer to a “Richard M. Nixon” than a “James T. Kirk” in these film trim images…

16C660DE-4A06-4751-A773-408F263411C9.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a good question.

I'm curious if there's an "actual" in universe canonical answer.

My assumption is that there's just far more human-ish races out there, and that the real outlier looking species seem to always be relatively small population. Then once the borg bring all the survivors and knowledge into the collective, they just breed the the "base model" bio host (humans) and don't bother with keeping new generations of the other species going.

Have any of the shows ever addressed them all being human?

This footage does not match any of the footage in the broadcast episode. Is it a cut scene? Is it test footage shot as the series was getting started (this was the first episode filmed when they went to series)?
Just an angle not used during editing. In those days they shot all of every actor's lines as closeups, two-shots, wides, etc. Shooting "coverage", to give the editor as many options as possible. Having editing in mind while shooting, just getting footage of this line or that in closeup, for example, might be done now, but back then was considered "editing with the camera" and could get a director fired (and that did happen on TOS).

Just an angle not used during editing. In those days they shot all of every actor's lines as closeups, two-shots, wides, etc. Shooting "coverage", to give the editor as many options as possible. Having editing in mind while shooting, just getting footage of this line or that in closeup, for example, might be done now, but back then was considered "editing with the camera" and could get a director fired (and that did happen on TOS).

Hmmmmm…

I’ll have to give it more “toupological study”…

;)

3A669322-E541-46B0-AA21-81F7BCCF4ED2.jpeg

That's a good question.

My assumption is that there's just far more human-ish races out there, and that the real outlier looking species seem to always be relatively small population. Then once the borg bring all the survivors and knowledge into the collective, they just breed the the "base model" bio host (humans) and don't bother with keeping new generations of the other species going.

It's a lot cheaper to stick something on a human face than to design an actual alien.

That's a good question.

Yes, this was addressed and explained on TNG… episode The Chase

If the Borg have assimilated 1000s of species, why do they all just look like human cyborgs? Why don't they look like alien species+cyborg? Also, it seems like almost all ST alien species have some special abilities that humans don't, why don't any of the Borg have these attributes?

Maybe the Borg don't see some abilities like telepathy as important so they don't keep them? IDK that's the only thing that I can think would make sense.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back