Star Trek original series with cgi on tv

Wes R

Legendary Member
There's a channel I get called Me TV that has nothing but classic shows. I didn't notice it at first but tonight's episode has the original model shots replaced with CGI. I'm right in assuming this is the same version that are on the blueray sets?

Apparently they changed everything on the 2008 release of the original series on normal dvd too. It would have been good if they'd given both versions to you on the discs.

This is Star Trek: Remastered, they were made about 6 years ago. They aired on TV, in SDTV resolution, and were later released to DVD. The Bluray release includes the original effects, you can choose which you want to see.

The Blu-Ray sets are fantastic. The ability to switch from one version to the other is such a huge plus. While I usually watch the original versions, I like the option to check out what the remastered ones look like...also, the greater variety of beauty shots of the Enterprise are kind of nice. Its amazing how having access to the originals makes the new effects less irritating...you can appreciate both versions for what they are.

The CGI kinda works in Star Trek because it doesn't stand out too much. They kept it all in style with the original designs. Clearly the people who did this had respect for the originals and tried their best to do it right. It's the kind of nip and tuck Lucas could learn from.

I agree on the great idea to include the original effects, something Lucas could learn from. But not on the quality of the work, the CGI sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks like cartoons, inter cut with live action. And every time the shuttlecraft takes off or lands it weaves around like the pilot is drunk.

The remastered DVD release
Amazon.com: Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One (Remastered Edition): William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols: Movies & TV

To me, the remastering is Lucas-style desecration.

It needs pointing out very loudly that the originals are now NO LONGER READILY AVAILABLE IN ANY FORM OTHER THAN BLU RAY. Which means the less well-off among us, like me, are now struggling to access the originals.

Even more infuriating is that I once ordered these DVDs from Amazon and there was no mention whatever of the cgi desecrations. I assumed 'remastered' meant picture restoration, like it always has done, not outright Special Editionifying. I returned them in disgust, and then it was that I discovered the originals are no longer available on DVD, or at least damn difficult to get hold of - and for about 3 times the price of the butchered versions.

I agree on the great idea to include the original effects, something Lucas could learn from. But not on the quality of the work, the CGI sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks like cartoons, inter cut with live action. And every time the shuttlecraft takes off or lands it weaves around like the pilot is drunk.

The remastered DVD release
Amazon.com: Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One (Remastered Edition): William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols: Movies & TV

It sounds like total excrement. And of course the beautiful 60s tone is blown to hell...

Since 1999 the Star Trek DVDs were being released with selected episodes on each disc as opposed to full season sets. But I was waiting for the complete series set to be released. Finally in 2004, they released the 3 seasons set (3 colors pack). But the price was too high with $180 onwards, so I postponed buying them.

In 2006, I saw the preview videos of the remastered episodes online and realized they would eventually release those remastered episodes on DVD and in turn replace the 2004 set.

September 2006 onwards they stared airing those remastered episodes and later in 2007 they announced the Season 1 Remastered Edition which was to be released in November 2007. I finally decided it was high time I bought the 2004 set before they go out of print. My main concern was that I would never have the option to see the episodes with their original effects and original presentation in those remastered DVDs. So in September 2007 I bought the 3 seasons set for $130 from DVDPacific, Amazon had it for $150+. It was worth the money and is still one of my favourite purchases. Thankfully the Blu-ray sets have the option to switch between the original and CGI shots. But I am in no hurry to buy them for now.

If anybody wants they are still available on Amazon, but comparatively very expensive.

Amazon.com: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete First Season
Season 1 - $80

Amazon.com: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete Second Season
Season 2 - $80

Amazon.com: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete Third Season
Season 3 - $60

I guess I'm in the minority that I like the remastered editions.

For one thing the quality of the dvds (not the CGI parts) look nearly bluray quality when upscaled on my bluray player. I don't particularly miss the original effects at all.

I own just about all the episodes on vhs. Bought the first release dvd boxsets in 2004.

Long after the remastered editions came out (and left the store shelves) I ended up buying the 1st season in that dvd/HD-dvd combo format used off ebay for over $50 or $60 I think. The other two seasons were solely in dvd format and again I snagged them for about $50 each off ebay.

Couple of years ago I sold my first edition dvd boxsets (for less than about a third of what I paid for them). I have no desire to watch TOS in its original format, and since I consider the quality of the remastered sets on par with bluray (to my eyes at least) I don't think I'll be buying the bluray boxsets.

Buying the entire series three times in two different formats is enough for me. :lol

But if nothing else, at least the orignal version has been preserved in one format.

As far as cost goes, the dvd sets available here in Southern Ontario at Best Buy are being sold for about $10 to $15 less than the bluray sets. Not exactly a huge savings. :unsure

Kevin

It needs pointing out very loudly that the originals are now NO LONGER READILY AVAILABLE IN ANY FORM OTHER THAN BLU RAY. Which means the less well-off among us, like me, are now struggling to access the originals.

It also needs pointing out that at least you have access to the originals! I would pay huge amounts of cash to get the original Star Wars trilogy on Bluray without any special features.

The reason it's not on DVD is because it's an old format. It's like when DVD took over from VHS, you had a period where you could get it on DVD but not on tape. The difference in cost between DVD and Bluray now is pretty small.

For all the complainers:

DVD sales are way down from what they used to be.

Right now, Blu ray IS the dominant home video format and the only reason DVD sets of old TV series and movies get released anymore is because the studios don't think it's worth upgrading them to Hi-Def since so few people will buy them! Blu ray may also very well be the last physical medium for home video releases if streaming ever takes off... Right now, the obstacle to streaming is the bandwidth available on the Net and the fact that the studios HATE streaming. They are dragging their feet and suing to slow down the transition to online streaming... The studios make a lot more money off of physical media sales!

Star Trek got the Blu ray treatment because Paramount knew enough people would buy it on Blu ray. The remastered series exceeded their expectations -- it was the first time in many years a lot of us saw TOS on local stations(!) -- and that's why the Blu ray release went ahead. Had the series bombed on local TV with the remastered edition, there's no guarantee a Blu ray release would have happened.

FYI, the only reason Star Trek never went beyond one HD/DVD season set release was that HD-DVD had a very short life. Blu ray got the support of the majority of studios! The writing was on the wall for HD-DVD halfway through that battle, and only Microsoft wanted to fight that battle for its own reasons...

BOTH DVD releases were more expensive than the Blu ray editions. The DVD sets typically retailed for $100 and more and I don't think I ever saw them go below $85 unless they were used sets!

The Blu ray sets could be had for $75 or less day one. The fact that you can buy the entire 78-episode series for $150 on Blu ray -- the best quality release, unedited, original AND remastered editions, etc. -- well, that's the cheapest it's EVER been on home video so stop bitching already!

The original version of Trek hasn't gone away. Nobody said you had to throw away the VHS, LD, and earlier DVD editions any more than anyone is holding a gun to your heads and forcing you to buy the Blu ray sets or watch the JJ Abrams' version, either!

Agreed. The main problem with Lucas is that the original star wars scenes were not shot with the intention of having CGI added some 20 years later.....Well, at least not as much CGI as Lucas decided to add.
As a result, Lucas had to cram the CGI scenes into the areas that happened to be available in the old footage, and even went as far as augmented the old footage in order to accomodate the CGI.
The end result is something that blatantly looks mashed together and over stuffed.
The composition on many shots were ruined as well.

I wish i'd gotten the blue, red, and yellow covered ones back in 2007 when the used dvd store had them for 20.00 each.

Upon reading the first post I thought to myself, "I wonder how long it will take before this turns into a Star Wars-related bashing spree".

Yep. Not long.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back