Star Trek original series with cgi on tv

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Wes R, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

There's a channel I get called Me TV that has nothing but classic shows. I didn't notice it at first but tonight's episode has the original model shots replaced with CGI. I'm right in assuming this is the same version that are on the blueray sets?

2. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

Yes it is the same remastered episodes on the Blue-ray set. I actually like what they did with them.

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Apparently they changed everything on the 2008 release of the original series on normal dvd too. It would have been good if they'd given both versions to you on the discs.

4. robn1

robn1 Master Member

This is Star Trek: Remastered, they were made about 6 years ago. They aired on TV, in SDTV resolution, and were later released to DVD. The Bluray release includes the original effects, you can choose which you want to see.

5. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

cool i might go with the blueray then and save some cash.

6. glorbes

glorbes Active Member

The Blu-Ray sets are fantastic. The ability to switch from one version to the other is such a huge plus. While I usually watch the original versions, I like the option to check out what the remastered ones look like...also, the greater variety of beauty shots of the Enterprise are kind of nice. Its amazing how having access to the originals makes the new effects less irritating...you can appreciate both versions for what they are.

7. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I just wish amazon didn't want 150.00 for the blueray set, seems a bit high to me.

8. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are these the DVD's with blue, red and yellow plastic covers ?

9. Rotwang

Rotwang Sr Member

The CGI kinda works in Star Trek because it doesn't stand out too much. They kept it all in style with the original designs. Clearly the people who did this had respect for the originals and tried their best to do it right. It's the kind of nip and tuck Lucas could learn from.

10. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I agree on the great idea to include the original effects, something Lucas could learn from. But not on the quality of the work, the CGI sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks like cartoons, inter cut with live action. And every time the shuttlecraft takes off or lands it weaves around like the pilot is drunk.

The remastered DVD release
    Amazon.com: Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One (Remastered Edition): William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols: Movies & TV

11. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

To me, the remastering is Lucas-style desecration.

It needs pointing out very loudly that the originals are now NO LONGER READILY AVAILABLE IN ANY FORM OTHER THAN BLU RAY. Which means the less well-off among us, like me, are now struggling to access the originals.

Even more infuriating is that I once ordered these DVDs from Amazon and there was no mention whatever of the cgi desecrations. I assumed 'remastered' meant picture restoration, like it always has done, not outright Special Editionifying. I returned them in disgust, and then it was that I discovered the originals are no longer available on DVD, or at least * difficult to get hold of - and for about 3 times the price of the butchered versions.

12. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

It sounds like total excrement. And of course the beautiful 60s tone is blown to hell...

13. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since 1999 the Star Trek DVDs were being released with selected episodes on each disc as opposed to full season sets. But I was waiting for the complete series set to be released. Finally in 2004, they released the 3 seasons set (3 colors pack). But the price was too high with $180 onwards, so I postponed buying them.

In 2006, I saw the preview videos of the remastered episodes online and realized they would eventually release those remastered episodes on DVD and in turn replace the 2004 set.

September 2006 onwards they stared airing those remastered episodes and later in 2007 they announced the Season 1 Remastered Edition which was to be released in November 2007. I finally decided it was high time I bought the 2004 set before they go out of print. My main concern was that I would never have the option to see the episodes with their original effects and original presentation in those remastered DVDs. So in September 2007 I bought the 3 seasons set for $130 from DVDPacific, Amazon had it for $150+. It was worth the money and is still one of my favourite purchases. Thankfully the Blu-ray sets have the option to switch between the original and CGI shots. But I am in no hurry to buy them for now.

If anybody wants they are still available on Amazon, but comparatively very expensive.

Amazon.com: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete First Season
    Season 1 - $80

Amazon.com: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete Second Season
    Season 2 - $80

Amazon.com: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete Third Season
    Season 3 - $60

14. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I guess I'm in the minority that I like the remastered editions.

For one thing the quality of the dvds (not the CGI parts) look nearly bluray quality when upscaled on my bluray player. I don't particularly miss the original effects at all.

I own just about all the episodes on vhs. Bought the first release dvd boxsets in 2004.

Long after the remastered editions came out (and left the store shelves) I ended up buying the 1st season in that dvd/HD-dvd combo format used off ebay for over $50 or $60 I think. The other two seasons were solely in dvd format and again I snagged them for about $50 each off ebay.

Couple of years ago I sold my first edition dvd boxsets (for less than about a third of what I paid for them). I have no desire to watch TOS in its original format, and since I consider the quality of the remastered sets on par with bluray (to my eyes at least) I don't think I'll be buying the bluray boxsets.

Buying the entire series three times in two different formats is enough for me. :lol

But if nothing else, at least the orignal version has been preserved in one format.

As far as cost goes, the dvd sets available here in Southern Ontario at Best Buy are being sold for about $10 to $15 less than the bluray sets. Not exactly a huge savings. :unsure

Kevin

15. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It also needs pointing out that at least you have access to the originals! I would pay huge amounts of cash to get the original Star Wars trilogy on Bluray without any special features.

The reason it's not on DVD is because it's an old format. It's like when DVD took over from VHS, you had a period where you could get it on DVD but not on tape. The difference in cost between DVD and Bluray now is pretty small.

16. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

For all the complainers:

DVD sales are way down from what they used to be.

Right now, Blu ray IS the dominant home video format and the only reason DVD sets of old TV series and movies get released anymore is because the studios don't think it's worth upgrading them to Hi-Def since so few people will buy them! Blu ray may also very well be the last physical medium for home video releases if streaming ever takes off... Right now, the obstacle to streaming is the bandwidth available on the Net and the fact that the studios HATE streaming. They are dragging their feet and suing to slow down the transition to online streaming... The studios make a lot more money off of physical media sales!

Star Trek got the Blu ray treatment because Paramount knew enough people would buy it on Blu ray. The remastered series exceeded their expectations -- it was the first time in many years a lot of us saw TOS on local stations(!) -- and that's why the Blu ray release went ahead. Had the series bombed on local TV with the remastered edition, there's no guarantee a Blu ray release would have happened.

FYI, the only reason Star Trek never went beyond one HD/DVD season set release was that HD-DVD had a very short life. Blu ray got the support of the majority of studios! The writing was on the wall for HD-DVD halfway through that battle, and only Microsoft wanted to fight that battle for its own reasons...

BOTH DVD releases were more expensive than the Blu ray editions. The DVD sets typically retailed for $100 and more and I don't think I ever saw them go below $85 unless they were used sets!

The Blu ray sets could be had for $75 or less day one. The fact that you can buy the entire 78-episode series for $150 on Blu ray -- the best quality release, unedited, original AND remastered editions, etc. -- well, that's the cheapest it's EVER been on home video so stop * already!

The original version of Trek hasn't gone away. Nobody said you had to throw away the VHS, LD, and earlier DVD editions any more than anyone is holding a gun to your heads and forcing you to buy the Blu ray sets or watch the JJ Abrams' version, either!

17. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No, those are just the original versions. A previous remaster that looks 99% as good as the subsequent release(s).

18. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Agreed. The main problem with Lucas is that the original star wars scenes were not shot with the intention of having CGI added some 20 years later.....Well, at least not as much CGI as Lucas decided to add.
    As a result, Lucas had to cram the CGI scenes into the areas that happened to be available in the old footage, and even went as far as augmented the old footage in order to accomodate the CGI.
    The end result is something that blatantly looks mashed together and over stuffed.
    The composition on many shots were ruined as well.

19. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I wish i'd gotten the blue, red, and yellow covered ones back in 2007 when the used dvd store had them for 20.00 each.

20. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Upon reading the first post I thought to myself, "I wonder how long it will take before this turns into a Star Wars-related bashing spree".

Yep. Not long.

21. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I got lucky enough to do just that. The sets are good, although I don't know how well they upscale. They were out right at the same time as the HD-DVD version came out that had both the regular and updated shots, I think.

For what it's worth, Netflix Instant also has TOS, although I can't recall if it's the version with CGI or the original shots.

It sounds like the Blu-Rays are the way to go, though, since you can switch to your preferred version. Assuming they don't break the bank, of course.

22. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Sounds like no matter which you choose it hurts the bank lol. Star Trek is one of the few franchises that the dvds get more expensive with.

23. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

You might be able to find a store or Ebay auction or something with used copies for less. As long as the discs aren't destroyed, it shouldn't be a huge deal. And as I mentioned, TOS is available on Netflix Instant (although, no idea if it's original or CGI effects).

The Remastered version is also available on Amazon Prime, whereas the original version is no longer available. So, my hunch is that the Netflix version is gonna be "Remastered" as well.

24. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I don't have netflix. I'd rather just buy my shows and movies outright. I'm not a big supporter of companies going all digital with their stuff.

25. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

The majority of them on netflix are the remastered. However, the bluray quality blows them away. I don't even think the streaming are 720p.

26. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like digital for it's convenience but I still keep my hard copies. I don't do Netflix, I have a server in my home that plays stuff through my digital media player. Really quick access to all of my stuff and it even plays full resolution Bluray rips. It's the future for sure, just make sure you have everything on your hard drives mirrored. I've lost too much stuff in the past to not RAID everything!

27. robn1

robn1 Master Member

The first TOS DVD release were sold as single discs with two episodes each. The yellow, blue and red season sets were made at a lower bit rate to fit more episodes on a disc, and the picture quality is not as good. If you're interested in the original episodes on DVD, the single disc releases are better.

But as said, the BDs are the best bet. Cost per episode is good, and the HD quality is outstanding. And the option to see the original effects is also there, making it a no brainer.

28. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

Man, all of you are missing out. I got the entire TOS series on beta-max suckas! Vintage commercials and all; nothing better than hearing that crackly audio and segmented visuals on an old school cathode TV.

That said, I'm still picking up the BluRay when I get the scratch. :) good to have choices. :thumbsup

29. robn1

robn1 Master Member

It should look great on the old school cathode.

30. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, I have the yellow/blue/red set, which has done me just fine for a while. but I also don't have an HDTV, so when I finally get all the electronics upgraded this year, I'm probably gonna get the blu-rays if the price is right. As long as there's the option for the old stuff, I'm happy. If you can switch it on the fly, even better.

31. DARTH SABER

A question - I have the Blue rays and noticed that the new CG Enterprise had the refit style aztec pattern on it.
    I spoke to friend of mine who had the DVDs, but no HD tv, and said he couldn't see them.

Is this true?...I would have thought the aztec pattern would still be visible even on standard definition.

32. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

There are panel lines and raised/recessed sections but I can't quite make out an Aztec pattern.

[​IMG]

(Mind you all I did was take a screencap- I'll have to watch this on my HDTV to be sure.)

Kevin

33. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

he might be thinking of the CG TOS Enterprise seen at the end of the final episode of Enterprise. Don't remember if the Defiant in Mirror, Darkly did, too.

34. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Yeah... while there's some more surface detailing, there's no Aztec, that I recall.

35. DARTH SABER

THe Aztec patterns are primarily in the secondary hull. Mind you, some shots show it more prominently than others.
    I'll see if I can find a good scene and take some caps.

36. DARTH SABER

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I took some screencaps (sorry for the poolr quality, I took it with my iphone off the TV screen)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Huh. This may be rather a goofy question which will betray my somewhat more casual fandom of the series, but...have they ever explained what the aztecing (aztecking? azteching?) is supposed to be? I mean, why would the hull be textured like that instead of a uniform color?

38. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

It saved a lot of money on paint (not making it uniform). :) ;)

Actually I think it had to do with the "real" Space Shuttle Enterprise back in 1979 and its hull heat-shielding "brick" pattern. The Aztec pattern (first seen in TMP) was trying to replicate this to give a more "real World" feel to the ship.

[​IMG]

The pattern itself isn't as random as it might appear (at least not as random on the saucer section). It is a repeating pattern, however the pearlescent colours used (VERY thin golds, silvers, bronzes) gave it a sense of randomness.

Darth Saber- which episode is that? Is that the "Mirror" ISS Enterprise? I remember that CGI ship had a lot of prominent hull plating easily seen on the dvd.

Kevin

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  39. robn1

robn1 Master Member

The aztecs on the TMP refit was meant to represent bare metal, the various alloys used to build the hull.

40. DARTH SABER

Those images were from "Court Martial".
    But, as I said earlier you can pretty much see the pattern in every Blu_Ray episode. I just happened to be watching this episode last night and they did a super close fly-by, which was perfect for taking a pic on the screen.

41. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Interesting theories on the aztecking.

I guess that sort of makes sense if we're talking heat distribution in the vacuum of space and how to counteract the negative effects of it.

I never thought it looked more or less "real" to have it with or without the aztecking, myself, seeing as how as a kid I watched the series in reruns, and didn't see any of the films until I was in my early teens -- and then in low-def on VHS, so I probably didn't pay it any mind.

42. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I see. I just watched the episode on dvd- those panels lines/plating are as clear as day. I'm watching it upscaled on my bluray player on a 60" screen though. But they are pretty clear, I don't see how they could go unnoticed.

Oh and what I said earlier about the Shuttle Enterprise- I think I got that backwards. The reason behind the panelling is as Robn1 said- to give it a bare metal look. The panelling just so happened to mildly resemble the heat shield tiles of the Space Shuttle when it was revealed in '79.

Kevin

43. DARTH SABER

I dunno. It might have something to do with the fact these specific shots were some of the rare extreme closups of the enterprise, which is why they are clearly visible on the DVD versions.
    The standard shots of the enterprise might not show them as clearly on DVD.

While Im not a fan of visual or enhanced changes to older films or TV shows, I think the aztec pattern in a nice subtle touch to the CGI FX on TOS.
    Just a little detail to kind of link TOS to TMP.