Star Trek Klingon Cruiser "Kronos One" from ST:VI in 1/350 Scale

star-art

Sr Member
This recent and rather complex project seemed like it might never end but is, at long last, finally done. It should be available as an injection-molded styrene kit in 1/350 scale from Polar Lights next Spring.

The 4-foot Klingon Cruiser "K'T'Inga" from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) was substantially altered -- i.e. "redressed" -- for the 1991 film Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. That work was done at ILM by John Goodson and Bill George.

I was surprised just how much of the K'T'Inga had to be changed in order to make this version. Only a few areas of the original model remained untouched. While a decent amount of photo reference was available, much of it was anything but clear and there wasn't really good coverage for all parts of the miniature.

Attachments

• Overall--RearBeautyRENDER.png
    Overall--RearBeautyRENDER.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 374
  • Overall--FrontBeautyRENDER.png
    Overall--FrontBeautyRENDER.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 364
Something that was quite confusing was the fact the impulse engines vary dramatically in appearance depending on what reference images you are viewing. Today, the model appears much as it did on film back in 1991. But, in 2000 it was photographed at Foundation Imaging (where it had been uncrated for Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition) and this area of the ship looked quite different.

While no official explanation has been given, I discovered that soon after filming Paramount loaned the model to the Smithsonian. Then, in 1995 it was featured in Star Trek: The Exhibition over in Scotland. When it was returned to the States the model got damaged in transit. This was a problem because Visual Effects Supervisor Gary Hutzel needed it for a special episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine called "The Way of the Warrior."

After that, the model was used one more time in a Star Trek: Voyager episode called "Flashback." At some point, the impulse engines received additional detailing and this is what was documented in the photos taken in 2000.

When the model went to auction it was positioned in a way that you could not take photos of the back side. Thus, I don't know exactly what the impulse engines looked like at that point. Recently, however, it was once again put on public display. The impulse engines now appear to have been restored back to their original appearance as first seen in 1991.

PS If anyone reading this saw the model on public display and managed to capture some good, clear close-up photos, please let me know. :)

Attachments

• ImpulseShrouds--2-versions.png
    ImpulseShrouds--2-versions.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 292
  • tuchd0429.jpg
    tuchd0429.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 272
Hi Charles, thank you for taking on this project and sharing your findings.

Can't wait to see the TIE fighter, as well!

That should be an amazing kit. Do you know if all the filigree details are planned to be photoetch, or will they be molded in plastic?

I designed it for photo-etched add-ons. But, there wasn't time (or budget) for me to create all the PE parts. I made what I could and you can see those details in the renders. But, the project was already taking WAY more time than allotted, so Polar Lights will have to deal with creating the remaining photo-etched details before the kit gets released.

I don't know why it would be hard to get.

Round2 is issuing a lighting kit and a photoetch set for it.

I have to imagine they would want to sell as many as they can.

I can't see myself building the Kronos One without the photoetch, but this model is getting pricey fast. $130 for the basic kit (plus shipping), $100 for the photoetch, another $65 for the lighting kit (which I would probably do myself), and misc. paints, glues, putty, etc. So $300+ just to do the subject justice. I don't know about you folks, but any modelling project over $200 requires a significant amount of sucking up to the wife.

I can't see myself building the Kronos One without the photoetch, but this model is getting pricey fast. $130 for the basic kit (plus shipping), $100 for the photoetch, another $65 for the lighting kit (which I would probably do myself), and misc. paints, glues, putty, etc. So $300+ just to do the subject justice. I don't know about you folks, but any modelling project over $200 requires a significant amount of sucking up to the wife.

Unfortunately anything at this scale is going to be pricey, especially once you start putting lights into the equation. I'm working up a complete parts list and budget for my 1/350 Refit Enterprise and I'm currently at about $600 without the Arduino boards for control, and some miscellaneous stuff. That's pre-tax and shipping. I'm doing a full lighting rig and 5 color aztec and some photo etch and resin upgrades. But it's still not cheap. The wifey is not particularly enthused, but it's for my birthday and she knows I get a lot of enjoyment from it. I bet she wishes she had just let me spring for a Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon about now... ;)

Dropped the buck-and-a-half for the kit yesterday, on Amazon...

Anyone wanna buy the K'Tinga version, with the light kit, from me?

Boxes opened but all bags still sealed...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back