Star Trek DS9 Weapons Locker - Progress Thread

Snarkticon

Good evening, all! I've been planning on building a replica of the DS9 Weapons Locker for a while and just got started tonight after getting a box in the mail from Stapleton13.

First off, here's what I'm going for:

This particular locker was seen in the Season 4 episode Hard Time, but similar cases have been seen all over the series.

I got the box a couple of years ago, but it's been sitting in my garage untouched.

I also got a Type II Boomerang phaser from Stapleton a couple years ago. Also been collecting dust.

I took the next step and bought a couple more phasers from Stapleton. These are all resin - no rubber grip, no hardware, no fancy de-flashing. The idea is the kit I previously bought (shown here on the right with a GMProps electronics kit) will be built out as the Hero phaser. It can be taken from the locker and activated with lights and sound. The other three will become the remaining static phasers - one will be built out as a Stunt phaser that can be removed from the locker, but no electronics and two will be cut in half to make four Dummies that will be permanently affixed inside the locker.

Here's tonight's progress:

I honestly only managed to get one phaser cut in half - but it's more work than I've done on this project in two years. So ... there's that.

The four Dummies will only have to look good from the sides, so the fact that the cut isn't 100% straight and pretty is fine for this project.I will hopefully be able to get some more work done tomorrow night. I'll definitely get the other Dummies cut, glue them up and build up the backs so they're the right height sticking out of the foam insert.

Nice idea to cut the phasers in half to fill out the other slots.
Will you be adding the external lock made from a machined piece of Aluminium and acrylic with LEDs?

Nice idea to cut the phasers in half to fill out the other slots.
Will you be adding the external lock made from a machined piece of Aluminium and acrylic with LEDs?

I'd like to. The aluminum seems like a found object to me. Maybe a spice canister or touch light. I'll figure it out. The LED circuit board will be a little more difficult. :3

Great project....looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.

Too bad they don't fit without cutting them.

Oh, they would fit without cutting them. It's just that I'm trying to cut costs by doing so. It's cheaper to buy three than it would be to buy five.

I did a little more work on the Dummy phasers tonight. Cut the second kit in half to make Dummies 3 and 4. Here's all six phasers. Stunt is top left,Hero is top right:

I traced out the Dummies on some scrap plywood to start the backings, cut them out with a jigsaw and affixed them to the dummies with some E6000:

Since that has to cure for several hours I decided to turn my attention to another prop that I've been neglecting: My Voyager style PADDs:

A friend of mine cut a few of these kits out for me on the laser he uses at work a few years ago. They're acrylic so they're kind of a pain in the ass to sand down the corners, but once you get it right it looks nice:

I don't know if I'll get to work on anything tomorrow night or not, but hopefully I'll get something done by the weekend to update the thread.

Coming along nicely!

Love how you are doing some dummy Phasers on this smart move!

Thanks Apollo! The choice was mostly motivated by cost. But since the locker itself will be a display piece rather than an actual prop, it makes sense to me to do it this way. I can't say for certain, but it's not too far fetched to think they may have done something similar for this scene.

Of course, if I want to go PERFECTLY screen accurate, I'll need to leave off the emitter tip for the phaser in the bottom left corner! xD

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back