Star Trek 2009 Uhura

Only one question, though.

What military (or to be more precise, paramilitary) organisation would actually dress their women like that?

Seems like a perfectly suitable uniform for a starship!

Except I'm not sure how we know what rank she is without sleeves...

(KristinaLeigh - Thanks for the link- a tutorial with a ST slant definitely helps me!)

Last edited:
It's a starship. It has ladders. Although, to be fair, WRENs had the same issue on Royal Navy warships until the late 70s, when someone instigated a uniform practicality initiative to the mutual relief of all concerned.

Star Trek XI does have long sleeve women's uniforms. Those have the ranks on the sleeve just like the men's tunics. They were not nearly as flattering as their TOS counterparts. I always assumed this dress was the comfortable variant of the uniforms.

Thanks, y'all...Means a lot! :D

I've wondered about Micheal Kaplan's choice of having the short sleeved dress in addition to the long sleeve variation. I think the silhouette is great...and maybe he decided that was more important than the rankings?

Fabulous job on the costume and you look fantastic in it. Thanks for showing the process. Your dedication is impressive! Now post more photos! lol

KristinaLeigh7.jpg

This is a fantastic replication! very nice work, you look great. I've been looking around the forums trying to see if anyone had a place to get a Kirk shirt and was surpassed to find the answer is no, then I saw your costume and got very jealous. Very impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! Nice attention to detail! :)

The delta shield printing is what really makes it work. I'd have never have thought about going that way; I just would have said, "Printing? Too hard!" :D

Terrasolo, Thank you! Have you checked to see when Anovos will be making the Command Gold tunics again?

Tremas, the printing was a big pain in the butt and I agree...for fan costumes it really does help make it! Thank you!

Only one question, though.

What military (or to be more precise, paramilitary) organisation would actually dress their women like that?

http://diapersanddivinity.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/us-army-female-soldiers.jpg
attachment.php

SSA52143.jpg

kilt.jpg

Skirts are prevalent in a lot of para/military organizations. Perhaps Star Fleet was simply going through a retro phase those years? They do have a clear record of constantly changing their uniforms - one supposes replicator technology allows Federation organizations to be rather fashion forward. Someone at Star Fleet Command has a bit of flair. ;)

Kristina, your attention to detail is really impressive! Looks great. Reading through how you figured out the fabric printing was fascinating.

I have some better pictures now too. An awesome friend did this for me:

kristina3.jpg

You can see the pattern better here in this black & white one:

newuhura1.jpg

The wild makeup was for a stylized 60s space look for a portfolio peice. ^^

Looks great! I love the attention to detail with the pattern and the Hong Kong finished seams. That costume card is pretty awesome too, and a great piece of reference material. I didn't know they made cards like that and started looking some up. Great job!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back