Star Lord Helmet - Screen Accurate (WIP)

watsonstudios

I figured I'd post this here since I've put so many hours into this 3d file over the past couple weeks. It started when I made a Star Lord costume for my son this past Halloween. I only had two weeks to get it done. Spent the first week modeling on the computer and the second week printing and finishing. Somewhere along the line, I became a little obsessed with this helmet. I wasn't happy with the first one I made. It came out great but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to props. I don't make many but when I do, they have to be as close as I can get to the screen used version. A lot of the details of the first helmet were not quite to my liking as far as proportion, angles, size relation, etc. when I compared it to the reference photos I have. So basically I decided to re-work the helmet and make it as close as I could get to the reference images I found on here and Google. I'm just about finished with the re-work, just need to make that tray under the chin area. I've got well over 40 hours in tweaking & tuning the model. Now it's time to start preparing for 3d printing and sizing to make sure it fits my head. On the first helmet, I made sure all the parts fit together perfectly. Any parts that touched or overlapped were imported into Geomagic Studio and using booleans, subtracted one part from another, creating a positive & negative cavity in each, making a perfect fit.

These first images are of the updated 3d model. Don't forget to click again to see the details in the full resolution image. :)
clay5.jpgclay4.jpgclay3.jpgclay2.jpgclay1.jpg

I also spent quite a few hours playing with textures to create a full 3d rendering.

render 37a.jpg

I will post more soon as I start prepping files for print.

Wow, I love it. The accuracy in the helmet is just astonishing. Just a question, are you willing to share the files in the future? And also, I would love to see it completed! Show us more!:love

Wow, I love it. The accuracy in the helmet is just astonishing. Just a question, are you willing to share the files in the future? And also, I would love to see it completed! Show us more!:love

Once I finish the build, I may be willing to release the files, either for sale or trade. :)

I work with solidworks and use 3ds max mostly for rendering so can totally appreciate the amount of hours it has taken to create what I can only call a perfect model of the star lord helmet. Incredible work! Very much looking forward to seeing what you do with this model.
Any idea what price you would sell the model for?

Wow, that looks great! I was hoping that as time went on people would start creating more screen accurate models - I'm definitely curious to see how your print works out.

And yeah, I'm with Zexcced - while I'm not planning on doing a 3d print I would be interested in getting a more accurate model file that I could take measurements off of so I could try my hand at some foam sculpting.

Again, I hope the print goes well - from the pictures of the model you posted it definitely looks like you know what you are doing!

Ditto on the last post.........I would like more info when you finish.......your going in the right direction bub.....kudos on the work as well!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back