Star Lord and Ronan for Comic Con Germany 2016

Here is a (poor) Photo of the Coat. I am really ill at the moment and will post better Pictures if i get better.

IMG_20160114_204605.jpg

Last edited:
Are those the Skecher Diameter shoes? I can't quite tell.

I saw those in kid sizes at the Skecher store the other day. Same movie-accurate sole as the adult ones too.

Sorry guys, did not had much time the last days.

Great job. You are a skilled person and your son seems to be very happy. Can't wait to see your Ronan costume!

Thanks man, now that the Star Lord Costume is (90%) finished i can start working on Ronan. ^^

Are those the Skecher Diameter shoes? I can't quite tell.

I saw those in kid sizes at the Skecher store the other day. Same movie-accurate sole as the adult ones too.

No, sadly i did not found them. They are really close in the overall shape and i thought about altering the sole if i have enough time. ^^

Last edited:
Sooooo, i have a bit time and i thought i explain some of the methods i used to make the Costume so far.
All of the Metal-Stuff on the Coat is actually made of Latex mixed with differend Acrylic paints.
a57SCUv.jpg

First i made a Positive out of craftingfoam, made a siliconemold of it and than used liquid latex in it.
VFJ7Xzv.jpg

I brushed the first layer in the mold to avoid airbubbles and get in all the details.
The mix was about half latex half acrylic paint. I dicovered the same method worked with "metal" acrylic paint, so i used it on some of the parts for the bag i did not get somewhere.
WP1gaYR.jpg
I didn´t get these parts so i decided to make them by my own. First i bought a small chain with links in a size that matched the parts.
Made a "Half-Mold" of them and brusheda mix of latex and brass acrylic paint in them.
JMT1irc.jpg
It pretty much matched the color of the brass parts. ^^

The embossing on the coat was made with a very primitive vacuum former.
Pf23mFo.jpg
I cut out the shapes i needed out of crafiting foam, used glue on them and the faux lether, glued them and put them on my primitive vacuum form board.
vM1roA9.jpg
heated the faux lether with my heatgun the same time my vacuum was sucking the air under it out.
I think you can use fabric between the faux leather and the vacuum form plate, the holes in the plate can show up on the material.

The armorparts on the shoulder and forearm were hold in place with press-studs (i never know if this is the right word ^^).
r2b68R8.jpgIXuTcFM.jpg
I sewed them on the Coat, for the armor i sewed them in a strong and flat fabric and gueld that into the armor parts.

The shoulderarmor is completly made of crafting foam, i melted holes and irregularities with a soldering iron on to it. The Cord/String/whatever/Stuff on it is just electrical cord from an old grey charger i had laying around.
GzQVbJP.jpg

The forearm armor was a bit more tricky. I used some kind of Foamboard Plastic i got in the DIY market (i dont think this is the correct word XD) for the lower part.
I formed it with the heatgun, drilled and cut holes and stuff in it and glued brown faux leather on it.
The upper part is made from crafting foam and different silver acrylic paint.
rxwnEhH.jpg

Yeah...i think thats it.
If anyone has some questinons dont be afraid to ask them.
I can not promise that i awnser them directly but i will as good as i can. ^^
(by the way, if the grammar is wrong in any way. I am ****ing drunk als hell at the moment! So please forgive me. ^^)

Long time since my last (drunken ^^) Post.

Here are some (****ty) Photos of the Ronan Costume so far:

IMAG0014.JPGIMAG0012.JPG

Its way to shiny at the moment but i am testing different colors and want the right one before i spray it.

So for your boot, did you pattern this manually and sew all these panels?
As I am pretty sure you did based on what I see...
I have been hunting for a pattern/material for the ankle and have yet to find one.

What shoe/boot [oem] are you using?
Do you have anymore detailed build pics?

As far as the Shoe goes i was really lucky. I searched through old shoes i and my brother had and found a pair of old sneakers with a matching sole.
For the rest, i put them on, taped my lower leg and shoe in masking tape and sketched the "base part" on.
With these patterns i made the upper part of the boot, taped that a second time and sketched the "outer parts" on it.
IMAG0019.JPG

I can make some more Pictures of the finished boot later if it helps. I am not sure if i have the patterns anymore but i will search through my stuff and make pictures if i find them.

Hi Styxx,
i am working on my Star Lord Cosplay since january and finished it to 90%.
I will come to the Comic Con in Stuttgart, too. On Saturday you could see me walking and shooting around :)
I hope we could make a photo together, a little Star Lord, me as big Star Lord, and our evil enemy :D :D
starlordIMG_20160525_230928.jpg

More pics and build info would be grand.

As i wrote, i wrapped my lower Leg and the shoe in masking tape and drew the pattern for the base on it.
I saddly dont have them anymore, i thought i just need them that one time. But here are some photos i made:
IMAG0019.JPGIMAG0020.JPGIMAG0021.JPG
I sewed them together, glued the base on the shoe and sewed over that.
After that i made a fake leg out of duct tape (same technique as before, just without the shoe), stuffed it in the boot to give it more support.

I wrapped the boot in cellophane and masking tape, drew the outer patterns on it.
Same as before, i sewed all of it together, glued some things in place and sewed over that to make the bond stronger.
boots03.jpgboots04.JPGboots05.JPGboots06.JPG
I made the cross pattern panel out of 2mm craftfoam, i cut 1mm into it and hit it with a heatgun. To make it and the rim around it i used the same patterns as for the "base".

Thats about it, i hope this helps. Next time i will make more photos of the steps in between.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Styxx,
i am working on my Star Lord Cosplay since january and finished it to 90%.
I will come to the Comic Con in Stuttgart, too. On Saturday you could see me walking and shooting around :)
I hope we could make a photo together, a little Star Lord, me as big Star Lord, and our evil enemy :D :D
View attachment 628756

That would be cool.
We are going on saturday too, so yes if we see each other no problem man. ^^

As i wrote, i wrapped my lower Leg and the shoe in masking tape and drew the pattern for the base on it.
I saddly dont have them anymore, i thought i just need them that one time. But here are some photos i made:
I sewed them together, glued the base on the shoe and sewed over that.
After that i made a fake leg out of duct tape (same technique as before, just without the shoe), stuffed it in the boot to give it more support.

I wrapped the boot in cellophane and masking tape, drew the outer patterns on it.
Same as before, i sewed all of it together, glued some things in place and sewed over that to make the bond stronger.

I made the cross pattern panel out of 2mm craftfoam, i cut 1mm into it and hit it with a heatgun. To make it and the rim around it i used the same patterns as for the "base".

Thats about it, i hope this helps. Next time i will make more photos of the steps in between.

Very cool thanks Styxx,
These are very authentic and I like your design.
Nice to see pics of the different parts too.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back