Staple films that you have never seen...

Godfather films. No interest in the subject matter at all.

Same here. I've known a number of people who'd always manage to throw quotes from the movie at me from time to time...like I'd recognize any of them!:wacko
I've no more interest in these movies than I would any gangster films: they're criminals...lock them up. End of story.

I see a few of you mentioned A Christmas Story, and I've always been puzzled by how many people seem to love it. Everyone from little old ladies to biker dudes! I'll never forget those guys, crowded around the tv giggling like kids watching it!:confused Whenever I've seen it, I get angry. I just want to slap that stupid kid around (figuratively speaking) and tell him to stop being such a brain dead, gullible idiot.

Last edited:
All I can say to folks who don't watch older films is to give them a chance: 1930s mobster movies are pretty good as are 50s scifi if you don't mind the effects and cheesy writing.

Yeah, especially as today's movies are going to look and sound corny in time, too!
Not about corniness per se, but great fun can be had by watching Broken Arrow, and mentally replacing John Travolta with Steve Martin in his place. Something about that, as filmed even, would have made it hilarious!:lol

I was put off by The Godfather and it's subject matter at first as well. Then I watched it and realized the best parts of the movie are about family and legacy, not the mafia aspects.

At first I was nervous to post my confessions - The Godfather and Gone With the Wind - but now it's starting to look like this is a common ailment :lol

I was put off by The Godfather and it's subject matter at first as well. Then I watched it and realized the best parts of the movie are about family and legacy, not the mafia aspects.

That must be it. Many fans of those movies are square, true-blue citizens...yet love these films like their own kids made them. Maybe I've been put off largely because people have spoken so glowingly of them, that that I feel too obligated to like them! I get similar doubts when I go to buy a familiar product and suddenly see "new improved formula" on the label!:confused

Its not a movie, but I am now up to watching the 3rd season of LOST on Netflix... Somehow I managed to go through life without knowing how the show ends...

It pissed me off. Instead of answering questions from the entire show, they spent the last season creating new ones and answered those.

I used to always fall asleep near the end of "Apocalypse Now". I finally saw the ending a few months ago. Did not like it.

I finally saw the first two Godfather movies recently. Seems over rated so far.

Sent from my Apple Newton

It's interesting: the first movie my mother saw in the theaters was The Wizard of Oz in its original release. I've wondered if the sequels of Star Wars weren't made, if it would have become "our" Wizard of Oz in years to come?

For me-

Classics- "Citizen Kane", "Gone with the Wind", "Casablanca", "The Maltese Falcon", "Modern Times."

Neo-classics- "Easy Rider", any of "The Godfather" films, "Patton", "The Magnificent Seven."

Modern- "Shawshank", "Dances with Wolves", any of the LOTR films, "Schindler's List."

Kevin

I run into folks all the time that won't even watch a movie if it is in black and white. All I can say is boy are they missing out.
Back in the 80s when Ted Turner decided he was going to colorize just about every classic black and white movie he could get his hands on, I had countless conversations with various people about it. Not one of them had a reasonable reason for not liking black and white movies other than "But color is so much better!" :facepalm

Maybe I've been put off largely because people have spoken so glowingly of them, that that I feel too obligated to like them!
I can understand that. I don't care how good a movie is--if you've heard nothing but rave reviews, it can't possibly live up to those expectations when you finally see it.

I used to always fall asleep near the end of "Apocalypse Now".
I've never seen Apocalypse Now all the way through in one sitting--I always fall asleep for some reason. If you add all the times together that I've tried I have seen the whole movie, just not at the same time.

Gone with the Wind
On the Waterfront
Blade Runner
Godfather
Scarface
Caddyshack
A Christmas Story
Casablanca
It's A Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
The Maltese Falcon
The Graduate
All the President's Men
Bullitt
Spaceballs
Raging Bull
Northwest by Northwest
Citizen Kane
Dances with Wolves
Braveheart
Schindler's List
Patton
Magnificent 7
Unforgiven

I run into folks all the time that won't even watch a movie if it is in black and white. All I can say is boy are they missing out.

Doug
I saw something neat several years ago. It was a Laurel and Hardy short that had been colorized. Every thing had that washed out look except for a window in one of the scenes. For some reason they did not colorize the window so they outside world was black and white. Derail over.

Sent from my Apple Newton

Movies that you don't want to see don't count.
I don't want to see Titanic, Shindler's List or Deer Hunter. Too depressing. And I am not the least interested in Twilight.

Btw, I saw The Shawshank Redemption for the first time only a few months ago...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back