SS Model Builders, I need your help - reward for find.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
The guys at the AFL (probably some of you) spent years finding the original model parts used on the Aliens Dropship helmets. However there is one major component (possibly made of one or more pieces?) that remains unidentified. I am offering $100 reward to the person who can find this part.

The helmets have everything from Transformers toy parts to Arii and Revell model kits to Plastruct pieces as well as a number of parts from the guys of a polaroid camera. However, this piece remains a mystery. Help!!!

unidentified-part-dropship-helmet-03.jpg

unidentified-part-dropship-helmet-02.jpg

unidentified-part-dropship-helmet-04.jpg

unidentified-part-dropship-helmet-05.jpg

unidentified-part-dropship-helmet-06.jpg

unidentified-part-dropship-helmet-01.jpg

Yah, it looks like it would house a set of nested gears. And the raised screw bosses look like something made to be maintained.

Yes buddy thats what i was aiming at, those rear bulges may house idler gears, and the front, a spur, the two covered holes in front of the venting could be motor screws as the motor may have been mounted to the opposing half of this unit!

Lee

- - - Updated - - -

Or i could be way off, and its a Kenwood food mixer haha!

Lee

On the gold cover it looks like there should have been a lower knob but it has dropped off, the ring around the hole is where it was stuck on.

The non shaded part looks Harley, found that yesterday, and itll be 1/6, thats found though right? Its the yellow part your seeking???

Lee

I’m not familiar with what research has been done so far. I just looked at the photo posted in this thread. I have a shovelhead I’ve been working on forever, and I have that cover. You might try 1978 Revell model 07951. They left of the derby cover. That’s as close as I can get.

To be honest, I don't think the exact motorcycle part was ever found either. Several close matches have been found but not the exact part, but yes... the part I am after is the large part in yellow.

Hmm, well i don't think the non shaded part is from Tamiya, unless a tooling issue is throwing me off Art, there are a few ket rivet details that differ from your part, and the part in a 1/6 Tamiya kit.

lee

Don't want to get too distracted on the Harley part, but the closest match we have found is from a 1:12 Imai FLHC classic.

The problem that they found was at 1:12, the scale was correct, but the grill within the circle was almost always built into the part, and not a separate piece.

ALF has also verified these are not correct:

IMAI - Harley-D. Fat Bob
Revell - Harley-D. Electra Glide
IMAI - Harley-D. FXS Black Low Rider
Revell - Harley-D. FXSTC Softail Custom

harley-part.jpg

Looking at it, I agree the slots are for cooling, it's small so probably something electrical. The screws at the perimeter are proud of the case which suggests to me that these were used to attach to something, I like the idea of a scalextrix type controller but these would have recessed screws inside the perimeter or the controller would have been awkward to hold. So I think, a cover on a tool or other easily available cheap electrical item that covers the motor. I think the slots are too even to be cut in afterwards, prop makers would not be that neat as no one would ever notice.

what year are we thinking? How many have this detail?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back