SS '89 BATMOBILE (Update 3/28)

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Chewie15, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Hi Everyone.

I wanted to showoff my latest score. I just paid a VERY pretty penny for this 1:8 Studio Scale '89 Batmobile kit and have a good friend helping me with cleaning her up :) The casting is BIG, 29" with the fins and is cast from one of the three 1:8 models they used for the miniature work in Batman. It has an undercarriage and all of the cockpit... the wheels are OK but I think I want some sweet bronze rims with real rubber urethane, so I'll post progress as we get further... we're rebuilding a lot of this.

My friend helping out with this project got a coat of primer on her :) I'd say things are moving along...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one that was sold recently from Profiles...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stay Tuned...

H

2. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Well-Known Member

love it. can't wait to see it finished. get to work.

3. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Looks cool Howard. Light that puppy.

4. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Very cool. That's always been my favorite Batmobile.

5. REL

REL Sr Member

Looks great, the build up is super nice.

6. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Cannot wait to get this finished :) There is NO other Batmobile IMO... well the 60's one was pretty cool ;)

H

7. Firefoxm31

Firefoxm31 Sr Member

is this a wayne tek piece..it does need alot of help to get it right, but still not bad... I'll be laser cutting alot of details and photoetching details if necessary to get this right. the original was made by the magic model company second model unit for the film over at Pinewood Studious, I have the original WB molds i traded many moons ago. this 1/8 scale model was ultimately, never used in the Axsis Chemicals scene,as intended

Best,
    William

8. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would give my left nut for this model. :eek The 89 Batmobile is far and away the best.

Cannot wait to see her finished.

Greg

9. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Very cool.

10. autoprops713

autoprops713 Well-Known Member

Never mind...

11. autoprops713

BTW, Will...get back on that Firefox man. :p

12. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out as i have one of these kits as well. :)

So many kits...so little time :unsure

Nathan

13. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Dave, a little heads up on your castings would of been nice when you told me not to bid on this one from E-bay, I spent $1,500 on this one here. I have been searching for this model for over 2 years now since I owned one before and sold it and have been kicking myself ever since.
    You wrote me from E-bay while I had my bid in and warned me that this was not the Studio Scale version and just a poorly made fan made model, when in fact this is the 'cast from' model that was made for the miniature Chemical Plant scenes in Batman?
    You have me very confused Dave? You say right in your post that this was one of the ones made for the movie? But when you wrote me on E-bay you said it was fake?

I'm already re-doing most of the inaccuracies that have been brought up, but this model is hands down the most accurate model I have ever seen of the '89... and I think once I re-do the wheels this baby will be beyond accurate...

H

14. fettster

fettster Sr Member

yet again, i am amazed by your work. ill keep an eye on this one

15. autoprops713

Forget it.

16. JSA

JSA Active Member

I'd be interested in one of those when available Howard.

JS

17. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

It's all good Dave... I was just a little curious because you had warned me of it and now you say it is indeed the right one?

I just hope mine comes out as nice as the one you did :D

H

18. autoprops713

Forget it.

19. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have always wanted one of these....

Awesome.

Frank

20. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Howard - Are you going to use RC wheels for the rubber? How about the rims.....machined?

21. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

Best movie Batmobile ever. Tumbler's pretty cool, too. I'd have to say the one from the old TV show is one of my favorites, though.

22. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

Firefox-
    You HAVE the studio molds, or you HAD the studio molds?

23. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Yes Rick, I'm machining the rims into bronze and having the tires done up in black rubber urethane. I should have all the masters ready within two weeks to mold :)

This kit is going to be the SHIZ.

Firefox, this is turning into a hyjack, please start another thread for you studios molds...

H

24. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Sweet.. That's going to be awesome...

25. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed. Firefox and anyone interested should not post about his molds in this thread. Start a new one if you like. Thanks.

26. Firefoxm31

Firefoxm31 Sr Member

I never mentioned selling a kit,nothing to edit... certainly not hijacking the thread, nor Intended to.I said I was making laser cut detail parts and owned(still)the old Warner Bros block mold, that I got in trade years back. You stated you were making parts. I was just giving a heads up on the origins of the original. The Wayne Tek kit needs lots of work and changes to make it accurate. While it does use the shell casting of the main body, alot of things were hand made(not studio), and crude. So, alot of reworking is necessary.
    Hope this clears things up a bit. Right about one thing though, it is the most accurate 89 car out there in this scale, none and i mean none ever were used for the Axsis Chemicals scene, sure hope PIH doesnt state that it was screen used.
    Best,
    Will

27. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not an interest post ;) but how much will these kits be? roughly

28. BobFett

BobFett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Firefox - when you say accurate - do you mean making it accurate in relationship to the 1:1? Or that the Waynetek kit does not have accurate parts in terms of the original studio model? Hope that made sense.

29. Firefoxm31

Firefoxm31 Sr Member

howdy,
    since the model is only a refinished version of the sculpt of the original Anton Furst concept, I mean the studio 1:1 scale full size car... car No 1 :D

30. Watson

Back on track here.

Howard have you given any thought to making a 89 Batman in scale with the car? I think it would be totally bad * to have Batman standing beside the car.

JDH

31. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Yes, that's just what I was thinking :) That's why I want to make the cocoon version so he can stand next to that, I think that would be an awesome display.

H

32. Watson

Man that is a killer idea. I cant wait to see your progress on this.

Greg

**EDIT** BTW Howard I dont know if it is just me but your site is not coming up.

33. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

"Where does he get all the wonderful toys?" Howard, once again great score. If there is a list for future kit run please add me to the interested part of it.

Great things happen to great people. This is indeed a GREAT project, "chicks dig the car."

Steve

34. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW,

You got a nice one. It's gonna look great assembled.

I got a fiberglass body shell off eBay years ago. Its all
    one piece and far from being in good shape. never did nothing
    with it as of yet. Here it is next to my 1:8th scale KITT replica.

[​IMG]

35. TFrosst

36. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Yup, seen these... I just paid $45 for the originals. We think alike, I plan on framing mine and putting them behind my display :D

H

37. TFrosst

Do you have a rought idea on how much your kit is gonna cost? Will it be resin or fiberglass?

38. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

TFrosst, this is only a 'Showoff' thread...

H

39. TFrosst

Sorry 'bout that. Wasn't thinking

40. fettster

fettster Sr Member

any more progress on this Howard?

I would love to see this finished

41. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Chewie15 @ Mar 25 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]1213052[/snapback]</div>

Yes Rick, I'm machining the rims into bronze and having the tires done up in black rubber urethane. I should have all the masters ready within two weeks to mold :)

This kit is going to be the SHIZ.

Firefox, this is turning into a hyjack, please start another thread for you studios molds...

H
    [/b][/quote]

Howard,

Can you let me know if you can produce an extra set of the rims and tires. I have a body
    but would like to get a nice set of accurate rims and such for mine. Just let me know
    what they would run. I would gladly purchase a set from you. :D

Let me know if this is doable. Thanks man. :thumbsup