Spotted some good toy weapons at Dollar General.

I actually have two of those revolvers still in the package. Not sure why I grabbed more but i guess i figured for the price it was worth it lol.

I actually have two of those revolvers still in the package. Not sure why I grabbed more but i guess i figured for the price it was worth it lol.

Yeah. Honestly, they look like they'd be a cheap base for a replica of Taki's revolver from the anime Wicked City.

656043-9743484-wickedTakinobg.jpg

This is a toy gun that someone modified to make it look like the one in the anime:

taki_s.jpg

The one in town was pretty wiped out. I think people have been buying them for their kids' costumes and for xmas gifts. They had a ton of the sawed off shotguns though. Still annoyed those came in right after i went through the trouble of making one from the full sized they had lol.

I'm resurrecting this post primarily because it's Halloween time again, this time, Dollar General is packing a lot of plastic replicas. Some of them are good, others are so-so (but are a good starting base). Here's the recent finds from the one in my home town. As before, stores may have different items available, but I saw these and couldn't help but snag the pictures. The reason I've included these because of how close to the 1:1 that some are in comparison to other toy weapons included in the store:

You needing some grenades to add to your arsenal? DG has them for about $1.50. Dollar Tree also has these for $1 (obviously), but not all places have a Dollar Tree (like my home town), but if you have a Dollar General, and they have these, it may be up your alley. A little repainting can make them look close to the real thing a bit.

attachment.php

A double barrel shotgun for $8. It's a bit under scaled, but it looks good enough to be a temporary stand-in for one if you're doing an Ash costume. A little painting could be useful.

attachment.php

Now this gun here, it would be a very good base for a replica for $5. Honestly, this would be a good base if you didn't want to shell out $15 for an Airsoft. Plus, the accessories look like they can be useful for a replica.
attachment.php

Here is a $1.50 version. Slide works, but it doesn't look as sturdy though. But, still a good base line.

attachment.php

When I saw this, I was like, "That's really impressive for a toy." Honestly, when I show my dad a picture of it, he said, "Yep. That's like my rifle." In fact, I think it's good one for an I Am Legend costume if you're doing a low budget.

attachment.php

A returning item, the Western Shooter for only $1.50.

attachment.php

Another returning item. This is the two-pack with the el-cheapo Robocop gun (with the machine gun being under scale and the el-cheapo Robocop gun being close to 1:1). This time, it's $10 instead of $8.

attachment.php

This one is not a replica per se, but after seeing the Nerf repaints, I thought, "You know this could be a nifty little future gun to add to the collection if repainted a bit."

attachment.php

This one I included because of the fact that it looks like a small uzi. I doubt its 1:1, but I'll leave it to your judgement.

attachment.php

Another one of the better ones, a Glock replica for $5, with accessories.
attachment.php

Happy hunting. :)

Last edited:
Also, at Fred's, I found a big play package for a soldier set, which comes with a helmet, a gun (a Glock), a belt, a knife and something that looks like a smoke grenade. The thing about it, it's $29.99. The gun looks good like a good replica, especially for a Left 4 Dead 2 cosplay, but $29.99 for a lot of a small number of items like that. But then again, I would probably go with the $5 one in my previous post.

CB2001;2538793. said:
Now this gun here, it would be a very good base for a replica for $5. Honestly, this would be a good base if you didn't want to shell out $15 for an Airsoft. Plus, the accessories look like they can be useful for a replica.
attachment.php

Those pistols are great, I have painted up several for some friends' kids. The little flashlight on the bottom has a good LED in it. The pistol makes a cocking sound, and when you pull the trigger it makes a bang firing sound. When you have the silencer screwed on and pull the trigger, the bang becomes a silencer "pew pew" sound. Very cool, and very economical. I have seen these at Wal-Mart now too, but Dollar General has been the mainstay for them.

Here's one I painted up before. I also drilled out the indentations in the silencer. This was an early project in learning weathering (still learning!). I made 'texture' on the grip by dry brushing.
bb2d1894.jpg

Big Lots also has a ton of toy guns, some are the same as the dollar general ones. That's a good price as on amazon 6 of them is 12.00

Agreed! How did you paint that handle? It looks great!

I started with this instructable:
Steampunk Pirate Gun Mod
but quickly deviated. It was a combination of red, brown, and black spraypaint in layers with some creative sanding and dry-brushing with a paper towel. Finished it with a satin polyurethane.

I actually did this last year, so it's a bit hard to remember, but you have to put down a coat of darker brown first and wait for it to dry. Then, a coat of black. You then sand down the black off down into the brown, and completely through the brown just a little bit in a few areas. This creates the black in the recesses of the crosshatching and leaves the high points of the crosshatching two shades of brown, the lighter shade being on the very highest points. There was a very light coat of burgundy in there somewhere, but I can't recall where (to add a little of that red-orange hue of a nice wood) I also did a little dry brushing with black on a paper towel to create some of the woodgrain effect. Sorry I don't recall exactly how I did it.

Last edited:
Just giving a heads up, I'll be posting some recent findings at the Dollar General earlier today. The new pictures will be coming soon.

Before I begin, I apologize for slightly slacking off. A couple of these pictures were taken two months ago, so I don't know if any of the stores may still have them or not. So, as before, merchandise varies between stores.

A returning favorite, but with digital camo instead of the regular camo style:
IMG_0589.JPG

Something for you Nerf-like aficionados:
IMG_0673.JPG

When I saw this, I was like, "That looks promising for $5."
IMG_0663.JPG

This one is for you budget minded M-41A replica makers.
IMG_0662.JPG

Saw this one and I was surprised this one. $15 bucks and you can add a Sniper Rifle to your arsenal of replicas.
IMG_0661.JPG

Here's the same Sniper Rifle with another returning favorite. Also for $15.
IMG_0660.JPG

I should have grabbed two of these myself, but they're no longer here at Madison. Bummer really. Plus, that Sniper Scope looks like it would work better for another replica for no other charge.
IMG_0588.JPG

I'll have to check the game again, but this one DEFINITELY looks like something out of Defiance.
IMG_0667.JPG

This is the first of two sawed-off style double barrels I've seen. Looks good for a potential replica.
IMG_0666.JPG

Here's the other one. This one screamed Mad Max to me. But that's just me.
IMG_0664.JPG

Here's another one for you Nerf-like aficionados who are looking for something kinda bad-ass for their collection.
IMG_0665.JPG

When I saw this, I was shocked. I was like, "Cool beans! A mini-gun." Then I realized the thing is hand cranked and is small.
IMG_0669.JPG

Here's my hand and wallet to show the size comparison. You may not be lugging it around for your Jesse Ventura costume from Predator, but it looks interesting for a small-scale replica to use for a short film (maybe something for James Bond-like vehicle). Or maybe a replica of the Nemeis' minigun from Resident Evil: Apocalypse.
IMG_0670.JPG

Here's one for the ladies of the RPF, or at least for your little girls.
IMG_0590.JPG

And finally, a revolver that actually haas a turning barrel and has an electronic gunshot effect.
IMG_0668.JPG

And there you have it. CB2001 reporting the finds at the Dollar General. Happy hunting. :)

Hello ladies and gents, once again. CB2001 is bringing you another DG weaponry update. Not much this time around (yet), but still something.

First off, we begin with another returning item: The Desert Eagle. I have tested one of them out, and apparently, the slide doesn't move when you pull the trigger. Even so, still a pretty good base to use for your Jack Slater or Matrix Agent Program costume should you need one.

IMG_1430.JPG

Next one is a new addition. I've seen this weapon used in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series. I'm sure some have seen it in other works.

IMG_1431.JPG

Also, this one isn't really a Dollar General item, but actually something I spotted from a recent trip to Toys'R'Us. Now, for years, Hasbro has released Lightsabers that have been oversized in comparison to the props, basically making them fit the insides of a flashlight so you can have a glowing expanding blade. Then, Hasbro released a 1:1 lightsaber with a plastic blade that lights up, but doesn't retract. Now, it appears, they've released a 1:1 scale lightsaber that expands, which isn't oversized. Below is a picture of the Darth Vader saber, and the second picture has the light up tube Darth Vader saber to show the size similarity. Maybe potential for a little repainting or modding?

IMG_1439.jpgIMG_1441.jpg

That's about it for now. Hope to have been helpful once again. :D

Got new pair of updates from the Dollar General. You may want to check your nearby store ASAP.

The top gun looks like the same style of the military rifles used in 28 Days Later. The bottom one is a bit undersized, but included it anyway.
IMG_1495.JPG

Two returning items and one new one. All three I've purchased. The one on the top, $6. The two on the bottle, $5 each.
IMG_1501.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back