Spider-Man Suit Dying Idea

The New Blood

Hey guys, before I make my first completed suit I wanted to know if there's a way to dye a Spider-Man suit so the colors won't fade when stretched, that's what I am fearing most from this. I do have an idea.

What if when you get a pattern printed from FOD , its like this
watermark.png
(except have the pieces that are suppose to be red separate from the sections that are suppose to be blue)

Then dye the blue pieces blue and the red pieces blue. I am afraid it will smudge the webbing, and I already know what type of dye to use which is iDye Poly.

Anyone willing to try this method?

I really hope someone tries this, like literally the fear of the suit fading when stretched is making me fear making my first spidey suit. XD

It's called overdying. A few of us are experimenting with it right now. I don't know if the other guys playing around with it are yet publicizing it, but it DOES work, but we're still working out the best processes/colors/dyes.

The difficulty comes in finding a dye/ink/paint/etc that will bite into Lycra since the fabric is VERY dye phobic.

Instead of printing. White pattern, however, those of is who try it either print a "faded" version of the pattern (so that it is darkened by the dye) or they dye over a full color print to deepen the colors and prevent "white-out."

RIT dye won't work, so save your time there, instead start playing around with other stuff and help us figure out the best method of doing this. This is where the cutting edge of these suits currently lies.

That said, don't let the fear of white-out paralyze you, if you take the time to perfect your colors and work within the range of your printer's equipment, the white-out is negligible. Here's an example from my latest print which is just printed onto white with no overdying.

full-0cac66c3f3389e0533667b77e8ea7a6e.jpg

In fact, in the original trilogy, at least some of the suits (possibly all) from SM3 we're dye sublimated onto white fabric.

-Nick

Last edited:
Hey guys, before I make my first completed suit I wanted to know if there's a way to dye a Spider-Man suit so the colors won't fade when stretched, that's what I am fearing most from this. I do have an idea.

What if when you get a pattern printed from FOD , its like this
View attachment 345086
(except have the pieces that are suppose to be red separate from the sections that are suppose to be blue)

Then dye the blue pieces blue and the red pieces blue. I am afraid it will smudge the webbing, and I already know what type of dye to use which is iDye Poly.

Anyone willing to try this method?

As Nick mentioned, he, MCL34N and I have experimented with this method, with good results.

Here's MCL34N's results:
10303878_10100565395774319_4363945117217270216_n.jpg

Here's Mine:
Vq948Dl.jpg

It's called overdying. A few of us are experimenting with it right now. I don't know if the other guys playing around with it are yet publicizing it, but it DOES work, but we're still working out the best processes/colors/dyes.

The difficulty comes in finding a dye/ink/paint/etc that will bite into Lycra since the fabric is VERY dye phobic.

Instead of printing. White pattern, however, those of is who try it either print a "faded" version of the pattern (so that it is darkened by the dye) or they dye over a full color print to deepen the colors and prevent "white-out."

RIT dye won't work, so save your time there, instead start playing around with other stuff and help us figure out the best method of doing this. This is where the cutting edge of these suits currently lies.

That said, don't let the fear of white-out paralyze you, if you take the time to perfect your colors and work within the range of your printer's equipment, the white-out is negligible. Here's an example from my latest print which is just printed onto white with no overdying.

http://www.therpf.com/dbtech/mpsclassifieds/uploads/full-0cac66c3f3389e0533667b77e8ea7a6e.jpg

In fact, in the original trilogy, at least some of the suits (possibly all) from SM2 we're dye sublimated onto white fabric.

-Nick

Very informative, hopefully once fully perfected, someone, like maybe myself, can do a tutorial on this,and in the future less fade-able suits come into existence :)

Last edited:
I am happy to know this works.It makes the final results look professionally stunning :). I am happy the dyeing doesn't smudge the webs. :)
Well, I mean, it doesn't SMUDGE them, inasmuch as the dye-sub elements aren't going to bleed anywhere after they are set, but it does reduce the contrast. There's some lessened visibility of the bricks as well, so in order to do the process well, the original file would need to have the contrast heightened, like how Kino Kauru's file looks for printing on colored fabric. In the images above, MCL34N has puff painted all of the web lines and I have hand-darkened all of the web lines, to make them more visible.

Well, I mean, it doesn't SMUDGE them, inasmuch as the dye-sub elements aren't going to bleed anywhere after they are set, but it does reduce the contrast. There's some lessened visibility of the bricks as well, so in order to do the process well, the original file would need to have the contrast heightened, like how Kino Kauru's file looks for printing on colored fabric. In the images above, MCL34N has puff painted all of the web lines and I have hand-darkened all of the web lines, to make them more visible.

Well if the black web color doesn't run, I can work with that, can you post a pic of an example of what a pattern should look when it's printed for over dyeing?

It doesn't necessarily require you to adjust the pattern. Last I heard, MCL34N was desaturating his pattern slightly, but I don't believe Luna modifies his at all. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The colors to dye with are one of the main areas of experimentation. I don't have shots of my experiment, but I was using a coral color dye on a normally colored pattern we really good results. For the most part the dye only affects white or light area when the fabric isn't stretched, (assuming your dye is lighter than your print color) so if the colors are fully saturated, you basically get to choose the overdying color based on what looks best when stretched.

-Nick

It doesn't necessarily require you to adjust the pattern. Last I heard, MCL34N was desaturating his pattern slightly, but I don't believe Luna modifies his at all. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The colors to dye with are one of the main areas of experimentation. I don't have shots of my experiment, but I was using a coral color dye on a normally colored pattern we really good results. For the most part the dye only affects white or light area when the fabric isn't stretched, (assuming your dye is lighter than your print color) so if the colors are fully saturated, you basically get to choose the overdying color based on what looks best when stretched.

-Nick
Interesting, good info :). Also, I like seeing pics to get better idea of things, but maybe in the future someone can post the steps of the process :)

As Nick mentioned, he, MCL34N and I have experimented with this method, with good results.

Here's MCL34N's results:
10303878_10100565395774319_4363945117217270216_n.jpg

Here's Mine:
Vq948Dl.jpg
Hey guys, it’s kinda a separate question but I think it still applies and I need help. So I have a specific color acrylic paint I want to use to re-dye an old suit of mine (it only comes in acrylic). So how could I use the acrylic on a suit? I’ve seen that I could get a fabric medium and mix it with the paint to make it a fabric paint but I don’t know to what extent it would work or if it would work for a suit.

Hey guys, it’s kinda a separate question but I think it still applies and I need help. So I have a specific color acrylic paint I want to use to re-dye an old suit of mine (it only comes in acrylic). So how could I use the acrylic on a suit? I’ve seen that I could get a fabric medium and mix it with the paint to make it a fabric paint but I don’t know to what extent it would work or if it would work for a suit.
Fabric paint sits on top of the fabric and doesn’t sink in. It really wouldn’t work, sadly.

You’d need a product that acts like a dye, not like a paint.

Dyes soak into the material, paints just cover.

Fabric paint sits on top of the fabric and doesn’t sink in. It really wouldn’t work, sadly.

You’d need a product that acts like a dye, not like a paint.

Dyes soak into the material, paints just cover.
Yeah, I figured.
But the color I want is only in an acrylic paint so even though it’s doesn’t really work, is there any decent “it kinda works” techniques?
Like I mentioned fabric mediums are supposed to enhance the paints ability to sink into the fabric without “really” affecting the pigment. Have you (or anyone) tried it, know if it works or not, or have a better alternative that’s gives a better “kinda works” result?

Thank you by the way for the input.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back