Spider-Man: No Way Home

I haven't seen my kid this excited about any of the marvel films, she was bouncing off the walls after we watched the trailer on our screen last night. She's definitely going to see this in the theater. Personally I think it looks like a lot of fun but not worth the hassle, I'll see it at home.

I haven't seen my kid this excited about any of the marvel films, she was bouncing off the walls after we watched the trailer on our screen last night. She's definitely going to see this in the theater. Personally I think it looks like a lot of fun but not worth the hassle, I'll see it at home.
Think how great it will look on the big cinema screen. Why not take your kid and make it a nice family Christmas event?

Think of seeing Dafoe on the big screen.

I love Molina as the tragic fallen idol villain that was Doc Ock but I do love Dafoe hamming it up as Goblin. I do think what made the first two Raimi Spiderman’s great was not just Tobey being a great Parker/Spiderman (he gets the being a loser perfectly and the resulting being witty as Spidey) but the amazing actors cast as villains.

3 probably fell short because Franco’s goblin and Grace’s Venom were ok (mostly due to having relatively little screentime). Church as Sandman was great and the film would have been far better had it just been Church as the villain and Spiderman getting the symbiote suit, hunting Snadman but finally forgiving him and getting rid of the suit, Venom being the teased villain for Spiderman 4.

As far as Strange's 'weirdness' goes, both in dialogue & behavior, I'm not completely sure that what we see is exactly what we're getting.

There are a few aspects from WandaVision, Loki, especially What If...? that could be at play here to set up In The Multiverse Of Madness.

Remember the "hitherto" line from Infinity War between Strange and Stark?
If Doctor Strange spoke to Peter, Ned and MJ with his more traditional vernacular they would likely have ridiculed him. As also highlighted in the other scene from the trailer when Otto reveals his full name and the three snigger.
Strange has clearly learned to adapt to his peers more contemporary speech.
I get what you're saying, renaissance_man but the snickering brings up another issue I have. Warning: mini rant incoming :)...

Peter Parker being a nerd himself who was teased and bullied in high school wouldn't laugh at someone's name, even an enemy's. Sure, Spider-Man would laugh at a super villain's name and mock them for it but he wouldn't laugh at their real name. It's out of character and makes him unlikeable. I'm already rooting for Doc Ock after seeing that. It also undermines your villain if kids are laughing at him to his face (assuming he is a villain which now that I think about it, he might not be in this which could be interesting). Same thing with Dr. Strange. He shouldn't have to talk down to Peter because he's a teenager. Peter's a scientific prodigy which I'll hazard a guess means he was watching a lot of lectures and reading books with a manner of speech far more sophisticated than your average teenager uses. I mean we're talking about a kid that is smart enough to build web shooters that even Tony Stark is impressed by but he can't be communicated with in a mature way? I don't buy it. And beyond that, as HeartBlade said, the funny name shtick has gotten old.

One of my problems with what the MCU has become is everything now is played for a laugh. They always had a comedic element but tonally, they've become too farcical. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy but it unintentionally set a terrible precedent for not just the MCU but other movies that followed it. Not every moment needs a punchline. Try to think of a scene in any of the MCU movies since where there wasn't at least one joke. Maybe Tony's memorial in Endgame? I don't know. Maybe most fans like this direction. It's just not for me I guess. I was losing interest in the MCU leading up to Infinity War & Endgame. I haven't seen any of them since. Spider-Man was the last one I had interest in. I think after this one I'm done too. I'm mainly excited to see the Maguire and Garfield and the older villains. Speaking of, I would love it if Nicholas Hammond gets a cameo. He was the first live-action Spider-Man and the first one I knew.
I think they are trying to convert him to be more relatable to iron man.. they need a stark replacement
You might be right, Halliwax but again it's out of character. Only Tony Stark can be Tony Stark. Everybody loved Thor: Ragnarok but I hated that they basically turned Thor into Star Lord. Yeah it was funny to an extent but I prefer the Thor from the first movie and Avengers 1. They redeemed him in Infinity War but then reverted him back into a goofball in Endgame.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, renaissance_man but the snickering brings up another issue I have. Warning: mini rant incoming :)...

Peter Parker being a nerd himself who was teased and bullied in high school wouldn't laugh at someone's name, even an enemy's. Sure, Spider-Man would laugh at a super villain's name and mock them for it but he wouldn't laugh at their real name. It's out of character and makes him unlikeable. I'm already rooting for Doc Ock after seeing that. It also undermines your villain if kids are laughing at him to his face (assuming he is a villain which now that I think about it, he might not be in this which could be interesting). Same thing with Dr. Strange. He shouldn't have to talk down to Peter because he's a teenager. Peter's a scientific prodigy which I'll hazard a guess means he was watching a lot of lectures and reading books with a manner of speech far more sophisticated than your average teenager uses. I mean we're talking about a kid that is smart enough to build web shooters that even Tony Stark is impressed by but he can't be communicated with in a mature way? I don't buy it. And beyond that, as HeartBlade said, the funny name shtick has gotten old.

One of my problems with what the MCU has become is everything now is played for a laugh. They always had a comedic element but tonally, they've become too farcical. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy but it unintentionally set a terrible precedent for not just the MCU but other movies that followed it. Not every moment needs a punchline. Try to think of a scene in any of the MCU movies since where there wasn't at least one joke. Maybe Tony's memorial in Endgame? I don't know. Maybe most fans like this direction. It's just not for me I guess. I was losing interest in the MCU leading up to Infinity War & Endgame. I haven't seen any of them since. Spider-Man was the last one I had interest in. I think after this one I'm done too. I'm mainly excited to see the Maguire and Garfield and the older villains. Speaking of, I would love it if Nicholas Hammond gets a cameo. He was the first live-action Spider-Man and the first one I knew.

You might be right, Halliwax but again it's out of character. Only Tony Stark can be Tony Stark. Everybody loved Thor: Ragnarok but I hated that they basically turned Thor into Star Lord. Yeah it was funny to an extent but I prefer the Thor from the first movie and Avengers 1. They redeemed him in Infinity War but then reverted him back into a goofball in Endgame.
No no, I 100% agree with you. But I do think they are retconning strange now.. the first trailer through me for a loop when strange’s helper told him “don’t cast that spell” and when he left strange looks at peter like they are both 15 years old and running to their dads gun safe.

For the protector of the time stone.. I sure would think he was more responsible than that…

No no, I 100% agree with you. But I do think they are retconning strange now.. the first trailer through me for a loop when strange’s helper told him “don’t cast that spell” and when he left strange looks at peter like they are both 15 years old and running to their dads gun safe.

For the protector of the time stone.. I sure would think he was more responsible than that…
I agree...& Again...I don't think it's him.

A imposter?!?
... or a powerful outside influence that would have a reason for wanting more universes opened up.

There seems to be a considerably different tone to Strange's voice from the first trailer & the last lines of this one where he sounds like a combination of exhausted & terrified.

... or a powerful outside influence that would have a reason for wanting more universes opened up.

There seems to be a considerably different tone to Strange's voice from the first trailer & the last lines of this one where he sounds like a combination of exhausted & terrified.
Oh boy…

I recently rewatched all 3, and I knew I liked 2, but I’d forgotten really just how good it is.

I just re-watched it for the ump-teenth time tonight and it still works; I choke up, laugh, and have fun in all the same spots as I did 16 years ago. Ebert called it the best superhero film since Donner's Superman and it's clear to see why: they both have huge amounts of heart.

...One of my problems with what the MCU has become is everything now is played for a laugh. They always had a comedic element but tonally, they've become too farcical. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy but it unintentionally set a terrible precedent for not just the MCU but other movies that followed it. Not every moment needs a punchline...

I enjoyed the first films like Iron Man and Captain America but really fell off once the sequels rolled around. My problem has been since these films have gotten so much bigger than where it started, and now everything is a galaxy-ending event, it all has to be played for laughs because it is farce. Which is where it loses me completely and watching Spider-Man 2 reminded me of that tonight. I have to believe in the world that the story is selling me, I have to believe in the characters, and the people on screen have to believe it, too---they can't just be models for new costumes or flash cards for quick and cheap reactions. I have to invest in what I'm watching. A quiet scene where Peter sits down to have a heart-felt conversation with Aunt May or Mary Jane is much more appealing to me than any CG monster mash.

I just re-watched it for the ump-teenth time tonight and it still works; I choke up, laugh, and have fun in all the same spots as I did 16 years ago. Ebert called it the best superhero film since Donner's Superman and it's clear to see why: they both have huge amounts of heart.

I enjoyed the first films like Iron Man and Captain America but really fell off once the sequels rolled around. My problem has been since these films have gotten so much bigger than where it started, and now everything is a galaxy-ending event, it all has to be played for laughs because it is farce. Which is where it loses me completely and watching Spider-Man 2 reminded me of that tonight. I have to believe in the world that the story is selling me, I have to believe in the characters, and the people on screen have to believe it, too---they can't just be models for new costumes or flash cards for quick and cheap reactions. I have to invest in what I'm watching. A quiet scene where Peter sits down to have a heart-felt conversation with Aunt May or Mary Jane is much more appealing to me than any CG monster mash.
I feel like there’s been a dearth of “superhero” movies since the Raimi films—I like quite a few of the Marvel films, but none of them really are “superheroes” in that classic sense like the Donner Superman or Spider-Man 2. Smaller-scale stakes, saving people, fighting crime, not to mention a deliberate use of VFX sparingly rather than “well, we’ve got the money, and it would be easier to do in a computer”. Not to mention, superhero movies/big blockbusters in general are starting to slip dangerously into a stale, rote formula in terms of cinematography, kind of akin to that “shot/reverse shot/wide” set-up that sitcoms have. It all sort of just mushes together into a bland paste of competence rather than style and life. I mean, Spider-Man 2 actually looks like a movie! Like something you’d see, on a big screen! It has that filmic quality to it that’s harder to capture digitally and harder to capture if you’ve just got B and C and D units shooting a little bit of coverage from multiple angles on a green screen where eventually even the actors will end up getting replaced with a CGI double that doesn’t move quite right. I really did like Homecoming, I liked Tom as Spider-Man and as Peter, but, honestly, I’ve lost a lot of steam. I’m still interested in seeing this movie, especially if my theory about Sony’s plans pays off.

I think they’ll use this movie as a testing ground to see if the other two Spider-Men are enough to get people to go to the movies. If it works, they’ll continue their sharing contract with Disney’s Marvel, but start releasing more stylized, less blockbustery sequels to the Garfield and Maguire films on their own. Maybe that’s wishful thinking, though.

Fair points, those were maybe two lines in a three minute trailer for what is likely to be a two and a half hour film.
Plus there have been many times that lines in the trailer weren't used in the films.
There's so much we don't know despite what the two recent trailers have shown.

I just hope people's preconceptions don't spoil the experience of actually watching the film and what surprises are in-store.
Essentially I hope fans don't try and make this another Mephisto in WandaVision thing again, which frankly was ridiculous.
26 days to go... for us lucky UK fans.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back