Spider-man display I am making, finished with PICS!

rileyreplicas

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone! I am currently working on a display from a comic story from the late 80's, Kraven's Last Hunt! I won't spoil the story for anyone but essentially Spidey ends up in a grave :) I based it off of Web of Spider-Man #32. This is a work in progress, have to coat and paint the tombstone, finish the mannequin and then coat and paint all the dirt / mud the Spidey is coming out of :)

Updated the pics! Final piece below :
)

Last edited:
Looks great~

Lettering is nice and crisp too!

Is that styrofoam?

update: yep, styrofoam (forgot to post.. and you responded in the mean time!)

Thanks for the kind words! This is going to a comic book shop in Putnam Connecticut. This has always been one of those projects I wanted to do and when given the opportunity I jumped at the chance! :)

The machine I used is a CNC hotwire machine. Just imagine a hotwire cutting through the foam which I set in the machine upright. Machine goes through and cuts out the letters / shapes. Really cool machine! In the past I would have done all this by hand using templates but this machine is a HUGE time saver!

Ah, I should have noticed all the wire cut lines between the letters. :)
I guess I wasn't really looking for them.
I suppose, to get the depth, you just pushed the cut pieces back.
From the front view, you can see the gap between the letters and the sides.
Seems like a really handy machine.
Thanks for the response.

It is a great machine! Saves a lot of time and effort, not sure if I have made my money back on it yet or not! LOL I cut the letters then cut the letters in half and put them back in. I usually make signs with the machine but I am learning now that I can make shapes for projects or just cut the profile of a piece to get it down to what I need it to be then carve from there.

I didnt even think of a wire machine! (but makes sense now that I see those lines)..

I thought perhaps it was some CNC router type machine..

The machine that I bought I purchased to offset my taxes one year. Never thought I would use it that much but now I can't imagine doing anything like this without one!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back