Spider-man display I am making, finished with PICS!

rileyreplicas

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone! I am currently working on a display from a comic story from the late 80's, Kraven's Last Hunt! I won't spoil the story for anyone but essentially Spidey ends up in a grave :) I based it off of Web of Spider-Man #32. This is a work in progress, have to coat and paint the tombstone, finish the mannequin and then coat and paint all the dirt / mud the Spidey is coming out of :)

Updated the pics! Final piece below :
)

Last edited:

xl97

Sr Member
Looks great~

Lettering is nice and crisp too!

Is that styrofoam?

update: yep, styrofoam (forgot to post.. and you responded in the mean time!)

rileyreplicas

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks for the kind words! This is going to a comic book shop in Putnam Connecticut. This has always been one of those projects I wanted to do and when given the opportunity I jumped at the chance! :)

rileyreplicas

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The machine I used is a CNC hotwire machine. Just imagine a hotwire cutting through the foam which I set in the machine upright. Machine goes through and cuts out the letters / shapes. Really cool machine! In the past I would have done all this by hand using templates but this machine is a HUGE time saver!

propmaster2000

Sr Member
Ah, I should have noticed all the wire cut lines between the letters. :)
I guess I wasn't really looking for them.
I suppose, to get the depth, you just pushed the cut pieces back.
From the front view, you can see the gap between the letters and the sides.
Seems like a really handy machine.
Thanks for the response.

rileyreplicas

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It is a great machine! Saves a lot of time and effort, not sure if I have made my money back on it yet or not! LOL I cut the letters then cut the letters in half and put them back in. I usually make signs with the machine but I am learning now that I can make shapes for projects or just cut the profile of a piece to get it down to what I need it to be then carve from there.

xl97

Sr Member
I didnt even think of a wire machine! (but makes sense now that I see those lines)..

I thought perhaps it was some CNC router type machine..

rileyreplicas

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The machine that I bought I purchased to offset my taxes one year. Never thought I would use it that much but now I can't imagine doing anything like this without one!