Spider-Man '77 TV costume thread!

Re: Spider-Man '77 costume at PIH - Pictures?

7. No web-shooter nozzels (as a result of the pointless and stupid decision to give Spidey the infamous organic web-shooters instead of mechanical ones).

8. The fact that what is obviously a $100,000 suit was somehow whipped up with no explanation by a cash-strapped teenager (...and one who somehow wasn't smart enough to build mechanical web-shooters, at that!).

Which is why Raimi made the decision he did. It's a high school kid and we're supposed to believe he comes up with an adhesive that 3M, with it's budget can't make? Along with the high tech shooters.

In his bedroom.

Not so pointless or stupid to me. Let hokey genetics do what a HS kid's budget can't.

But on topic, anybody remember how they always showed Spidey climbing walls from waaaaaaaay back so we (hopefully) wouldn't notice the ropes and handholds on the wall? :lol

The other problem with mechanical webs is that the wrist straps would be unavoidably bulky. The comics always conveniently ignored this and drew nice slender wrists when he pulled his gloves back up. It wouldn't be so easily ignored in a film. See the bulky silver boxes in the 70's suit pics - that's not very Spider-Man either. For this reason alone, I'm okay with the organic webs.

Which is why Raimi made the decision he did. It's a high school kid and we're supposed to believe he comes up with an adhesive that 3M, with it's budget can't make? Along with the high tech shooters.

In his bedroom.

Not so pointless or stupid to me. Let hokey genetics do what a HS kid's budget can't.

But on topic, anybody remember how they always showed Spidey climbing walls from waaaaaaaay back so we (hopefully) wouldn't notice the ropes and handholds on the wall? :lol

Yeah, okay, I don't like it, but I'll give in to the organic webs.
It still doesn't explain the high dollar suit.

They could have done something about the shooters, I mean, Pete's supposed to be a highly intelligent youngster. He could have had the webbing stored in a thin belt and delivered to the wrist shooters through tubing running under his costume, ya know? But I understand the reasoning.

It's the ridiculously intricate and professionally made costume requiring expertise in printing, sewing, sculpting, molding, casting, painting, gluing and creating optically clear lenses when he couldn't even afford a junker car that bugs the hell outta me. Showing him cutting up gymnast/biking outfits with the same pattern, trimming the lenses out of a pair of large sunglasses, using rubber webbing from some type of Halloween decorations shoved in May's garage, etc., could have avoided the issue.

Also, we're going very off topic.

Was there an explanation given for using those fugly rubber rain boots for the sequels? Extremely lame move, regardless.

That's awesome! Another vote here for the Nick Hammond version of the costume. Wasn't there a version where the eyes are like salt and pepper shakers?

Another tiny problem I have with the movie version is that the boots are actual boots - I always liked that in the comics Spidey would have to go shoeless to scale the wall - his boots were like socks

Toei's Spider-Man series was actually the first tokusatsu series to feature both ground level fighting between the hero(es) & baddies and also giant-robo battles. Before then they were pretty much limited to their own series. Even Sentai (nowadays cut/reshot/dubbed/redistributed to English-speaking countries as Power Rangers) had no mecha until Spider-Man had it's run of the air waves.

The Spider-Man toku was part of a licensing deal between Toei and Marvel, and a Japanese adaptation of Captain America was to be put into production, but instead the idea was shifted around and allocated to a Sentai series, Battle Fever J, where each hero represented a different country. I'd love to see Hulk with a battle-cycle. :lol

In his bedroom.

Actually, in the books Spidey tries to sell his web formula early on because he's broke (as always) and the company turns him down because the glue is only temporary. So 3m would really have no use in a quick dissolving adhesive and that could be why they never developed it.

I think the organic webs really took away from Peter's character and how he was this budding brilliant scientist. The comics always kept this character trait and the movies should have done the same in my opinion.

Anyone ever read the "What if someone else had been bitten by the radioactive spider" One of the stories dealt Flash Thompson getting the Spidey powers - at the end Flash dies fighting the Vulture because when he drops him Flash wasn't smart enough to come up with web shooters to stop him from hitting the ground.

Speaking as a very casual fan of Spiderman--in other words, I loved the cartoon as a kid in the 70s, have seen and enjoyed (for the most part) the Maguire films, but have never once picked up a comic--I can say I'm partial to the modern suits Tobey's worn. I understand why some of you Spidey aficionados might think they are a bit meretricious in appearance, but I like their flashy look. :thumbsup

My 2 cents

The Wook

Oh yeah, the suits look sexy as hell, there's just a huge suspension of disbelief involved that kinda ruins the getup.

Also, unrelated, I think it's totally awesome how J.J. lies through his teeth while facing imminent death to not give up the info that Peter takes Spider-Man's pictures. Redeems any negative traits his character exhibits in my eyes, and makes him a bit three-dimensional.

Oh yeah, the suits look sexy as hell, there's just a huge suspension of disbelief involved that kinda ruins the getup.

I dunno. Maybe Tobey's modern Peter is a member of the RPF, but all the scenes they shot of him posting progress pics to the board, getting feedback and whatnot, ended up on the cutting room floor. That great of a suit wouldn't be so implausible in that case, now would it?

The Wook

If the movies continue and Tobey doesn't want to play Peter any longer, I vote for John Krasinski to take his place. He reminds me of Peter a bit.

The first, (sold last week) had silver plates riddled with pinholes for lenses...
...they can be changed to the silver pinhole eyes...
Wasn't there a version where the eyes are like salt and pepper shakers?
The "pinhole/salt shaker" lenses were actually a protective eye covering used by hospitals in the 70's for people who had suffered eye injuries; I worked for a local hospital at the time and recognized them immediately, having seen the tv series. They were made from aluminum sheet, slightly domed, and had a hole pattern identical to the antenna grids on the communicators in the original Star Trek series.

But you don't have to suspend disbelief to accept a teenager bitten by a spider can suddenly climb walls and shoot webs from his wrists? ;)

Actually, I know exactly what you mean. Regarding Peter Jackson's King Kong, I can believe a 40-foot gorilla exists but I can't buy a sailor using a Thompson sub-machine gun to remove giant insects from his shipmate without ripping the guy to shreds in the process. :p Funny how the mind works sometimes, isn't it?

The organic web shooters were a hold over from the James Cameron script and were in place before Raimi stepped in.

I mean if they were trying to keep the biological/physiological similarities between peters powers and those of an actual spider he should've been firing webs out of his arse, I imagine it would be fairly hard to 'save the day' whilst swinging from ones backside upside down in downtown New York :lol

The organic web shooters were a hold over from the James Cameron script and were in place before Raimi stepped in.
Well, the organic web shooters started with the black suit. They then went to Spiderman 2099, which also had a Spidey with organic webs and the little barbs in his fingertips, like the Spidey in films. Spidey 2099's were more one giant barb per finger though.

So James Cameron did not have the idea first.

In Cameron's script, I believe, Peter has organic shooters, BUT he devises some kind of thing to wear on his wrist to show people (in case they ask) that he's not a freak. I think that Raimi could have gone this route and still appeased the hard-core fans.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back