Spider-Man 2 2004 Accurate Dr Octopus movie tentacles

Slythenperior

Hello everyone.

I am really looking forward to doing this project and seeing everyone else's thoughts and suggestions. I love Spider-Man 2, and the Dr Octopus arms are my all time favorite movie prop. I even managed to buy some of the tentacle fragments. I have been slowly gathering information on how they made the arms and collecting as many images as I can of the arms in the movie, behind the scenes and during the creation process as possible.

Now I think I have enough to attempt to make my own and make it as accurate as possible while still being light enough to wear, either by the end of this year or early next year. I also noticed that there are 6 variations of segments used in each tentacle. A medium one, a thick one, a thin one, and 3 medium ones that get progressively wider before the claw connects

Here is the medium segment I will be 3d printing, along with how it looks compared to the other
Segment.jpg
Tentacle segments b.jpgTentacle segments a.jpgTentacle segments c.jpg
After I print and clean up the segment, I plan to make duplicates of them as light as possible to avoid the tentacles being too heavy. I am thinking of making a 2 piece silicone mold, and use ridged expanding foam to quickly make these duplicates.

Since the number of segments changes through out the movie, this is the order I am thinking of going with.
6 standard segments
5 small segments
6 standard segments
4 large segments. this will mark the middle of the tentacle.
6 standard segments
5 small segments
6 standard segments
3 joint segments.

If the segments are light weight enough they will sit nicely on some, black plumbing insulation that is going to be prefect for running down the length of the tentacle. It is a lightweight flexible foam, and is the same diameter as the center ring of the segments. I plan to use 6mm aluminum armature wire in the in the plumbing insulation to hold the arms up and make them poseable.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks, I think I am going to be the first person to use more than one segment type for their costume and with the level of detail I am attempting.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the "red suckers" on each tentacle alternate left to right. You will need to flip that portion on your model and make 2 pieces or separate that piece onto a small detail piece you can duplicate and glue on each one.

Considering the complexity of the upper claws, (Flo and Moe) I started modeling the lower claws, (Harry and Larry). These are are much larger than Flo & Moe so Will use more filament. I am not sure they will be that much more heavy though since Floe and Moe have more pieces and could end up using more plastic. it is still incomplete at this point. But I am hoping that while I print off the pieces I will be able to figure out how the top claws work and create accurate models of them.
Harry&Larryc.jpgHarry&Larrya.jpgHarry&Larryb.jpg
I will start printing the pieces tomorrow and let everyone know how it comes out. I am getting really excited to start seeing this project come together.

The first few prints of the tentacle are done. I started by printing the medium segment while I slept and printed the two pieces of the claw tip while I started sanding and priming it.

20170411_151117.jpg20170418_192712.jpg
The segment piece came out really well. I might need to make the inner ring smaller or find a tube that is ever so slightly larger.
20171227_151307.jpg
And here is the claw tip.
Now there is rubber ridging on the inside of the first and second part of the claw. Does anyone know where I can find something like this or know how I can replicate the effect myself?
48.jpg
It is making me smile every time I hold these pieces. I can't wait for the finished product to be complete. I might have to make a stand for it like the one in the movie to display the arm in my house once they are done.
spiderman-2-4.jpg

Although this is an awesome concept and I have seen this being done before (so it's plausible), I think it will be too massive if not too heavy to walk around with on a convention.
Since you've alteady made up your mind and invested in this project,there's a lady who posted a tutorial on youtube of how she made her suit.Perhaps you can derive some info from that:
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=dr octopus cosplay&sm=3

I got in contact with ace cosplay a little while ago and asked what she would do differently if she had more money. She said "I would make it more accurate and maybe even get some people to puppeteer the tentacles for me." I since I am printing Harry & Larry, I was able to determine they would wiegh just over 1.2kg I believe that 3 pieces of 6mm aluminum wire wrapped around each other like Adam Savage did in his costume with either tape or heat shrink tubing to prevent them from unwinding, should be strong enough to hold the tentacles up and still be poseable. IfIit is not I will have to find another way to support them.

Okay this is going to be my last post for a while since I start a new job tomorrow and want to give that my all. I will let things print while I am at work though so should be able to have more complete item by then.
Here is what I have done the past 2 days.
Got the outside of the larger segment done and you can really see the difference between the two. I am thinking about making each tentacle be made up of two pieces that are connected in the middle. the four large segments will hide the connection point.
20170411_151129.jpg20170419_134946.jpg

I originally thought I got the second joint pretty accurate but I found out last night that it doesn't have an angle the way I thought it does, but is instead completely flat. I will have to redesign it and the claw tip to get the movement I want. I learnt to print all the pieces and make sure it is correct before I started sanding and priming it. A silly amateur mistake that I won't be making again.
20171228_200553.jpg20171228_200600.jpg
20171229_221349.jpg20171229_221402.jpg
20180104_104605.jpg

Aside that that small hiccup I think I have done quite well so far. It is always amusing to me that no matter how long I spend modeling an object it is always bigger than I thought it was going to be after it was printed.

Hello everyone.

I am really looking forward to doing this project and seeing everyone else's thoughts and suggestions. I love Spider-Man 2, and the Dr Octopus arms are my all time favorite movie prop. I even managed to buy some of the tentacle fragments. I have been slowly gathering information on how they made the arms and collecting as many images as I can of the arms in the movie, behind the scenes and during the creation process as possible.

Now I think I have enough to attempt to make my own and make it as accurate as possible while still being light enough to wear, either by the end of this year or early next year. I also noticed that there are 6 variations of segments used in each tentacle. A medium one, a thick one, a thin one, and 3 medium ones that get progressively wider before the claw connects

Here is the medium segment I will be 3d printing, along with how it looks compared to the other
View attachment 792709
View attachment 793093View attachment 793092View attachment 793097
After I print and clean up the segment, I plan to make duplicates of them as light as possible to avoid the tentacles being too heavy. I am thinking of making a 2 piece silicone mold, and use ridged expanding foam to quickly make these duplicates.

Since the number of segments changes through out the movie, this is the order I am thinking of going with.
6 standard segments
5 small segments
6 standard segments
6 standard segments
5 small segments
6 standard segments
3 joint segments.

If the segments are light weight enough they will sit nicely on some, black plumbing insulation that is going to be prefect for running down the length of the tentacle. It is a lightweight flexible foam, and is the same diameter as the center ring of the segments. I plan to use 6mm aluminum armature wire in the in the plumbing insulation to hold the arms up and make them poseable.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks, I think I am going to be the first person to use more than one segment type for their costume and with the level of detail I am attempting.

The arms look great, and the reason the number of segments changes throughout the movie is because the tentacle arms are able to telescope and triple in length. I love the fact you are going through the process of making sure that there are different segments designed. The closest I've found to what you are doing is a 1/6 scale 3d print model of all the segments for the spider man 2 doc ock arms (for custom figure work) but no death flower ends.

Considering the complexity of the upper claws, (Flo and Moe) I started modeling the lower claws, (Harry and Larry). These are are much larger than Flo & Moe so Will use more filament. I am not sure they will be that much more heavy though since Floe and Moe have more pieces and could end up using more plastic. it is still incomplete at this point. But I am hoping that while I print off the pieces I will be able to figure out how the top claws work and create accurate models of them.
View attachment 793421View attachment 793419View attachment 793420
I will start printing the pieces tomorrow and let everyone know how it comes out. I am getting really excited to start seeing this project come together.
He even named the claws :lol: hilarious
I hope his new job suits him well

View attachment 793421View attachment 793419View attachment 793420
How did you do? Is it finished? Curious minds want to know! LOL Any chance you would sell the 3d files?

I’d love to see it all done as well! There’s some really incredible Doc Ock cosplays on the bet but sadly no stl files. I’m surprised.

Hello everyone.

View attachment 792709
View attachment 793093View attachment 793092View attachment 793097

6 standard segments
5 small segments
6 standard segments
6 standard segments
5 small segments
6 standard segments
3 joint segments.

Will you ever have the files for sale?

He even named the claws :lol: hilarious

They were named in production of Spider-man 2 because each were distinct personalities; Flo was the upper right arm (motherly and protective), Mo was the upper left arm (aloof), Larry and Harry were the lower pairs and were "twins," and were the brutes of the pack. All of this was to add and affect Molina's movements and overall performance even if it wasn't readily obvious on screen.

Segments look okay, but these aren't as accurate as this project was aiming to be. Right off the bat, the claws in this photo are more based on the No Way Home versions than the more complex (and better designed IMO) of Spider-man 2. I've been considering starting this project myself because I've really be considering making a set of arms with similar working functions like the original production pieces, and this thread is a great resource despite its inactivity.

TheBigGuy97
The arms look great, and the reason the number of segments changes throughout the movie is because the tentacle arms are able to telescope and triple in length. I love the fact you are going through the process of making sure that there are different segments designed. The closest I've found to what you are doing is a 1/6 scale 3d print model of all the segments for the spider man 2 doc ock arms (for custom figure work) but no death flower ends.

Maybe for the "in-universe" rationalizing, but it was simply because production had to have many of them as the arms were completely modular, on top of there being multiple arms for multiple purposes.

They were named in production of Spider-man 2 because each were distinct personalities; Flo was the upper right arm (motherly and protective), Mo was the upper left arm (aloof), Larry and Harry were the lower pairs and were "twins," and were the brutes of the pack. All of this was to add and affect Molina's movements and overall performance even if it wasn't readily obvious on screen.

Segments look okay, but these aren't as accurate as this project was aiming to be. Right off the bat, the claws in this photo are more based on the No Way Home versions than the more complex (and better designed IMO) of Spider-man 2. I've been considering starting this project myself because I've really be considering making a set of arms with similar working functions like the original production pieces, and this thread is a great resource despite its inactivity.

TheBigGuy97

Maybe for the "in-universe" rationalizing, but it was simply because production had to have many of them as the arms were completely modular, on top of there being multiple arms for multiple purposes.
I understand that nothing from Do3d is accurate at all I thought I'd post it since there are no other STLs I've found for ocks tentacles.

Hello Everyone. I know it has been a long time since I have posted anything here. Just know that I have been working on this project with a group of friends and we are getting closer to finishing this. The tentacles and claws are more accurate than I ever thought would be possible and have been built from the ground up since I last posted. We are also working on figuring out a way to make the claws animatronics function, hopefully by remote control. There is a lot to go over so lets get started.

Tentacle segments:
The models of the 3 main segments that make up the bulk of the tentacles are for the most part completely finished.
We have been able to get our hands on several fragments of the original segments, and a prototype segment for an unused version of the tentacles**
121196382_346141993390804_6976463525398124764_n.jpg
and using photogrammetry we have been able to create the most accurate models to date.
135216227_1090841574765553_659042531994872093_n.jpg134383518_827400614502952_297991277978743948_n.png134644063_889036401840450_316756472191686629_n.pngDr octopus Tentacle Segments_00031.jpg
So finally we have come to the finished product, and by god the feeling of getting to hold them was incredible.
278133338_392207719497117_5223416336114721092_n.jpg278538513_1012615766316845_868262822369318407_n.jpg
The only other segments that need to be finished now are the three ones that get progressively larger to match the base of the claws.
2018-01-04 (34).png
and you will see why we have run into a road block with them in a bit.

Top Claws Floe/Moe:
Not only were we able to get some broken segments we got a full cast of the closed Flo/Moe claws. and you can see how different it is to the ones I made before.
188371053_309770030776471_881754670875896968_n.jpg188020761_1134637763687414_5240240456459883202_n.jpg187133256_1207634826363843_8823032373899418932_n.jpg
So I got to work on modeling the cast so I could reverse the construction and make the internals that fit it.
204409216_348419570236408_5953361046029706753_n.png
Here is the model 3d printed and painted by my good friend, he did a phenomenal job.
241002692_150336527269335_369659088398287848_n.jpg208859862_5733771423364373_7662779630906432985_n.jpg245429362_569674267453909_474071838242341425_n.jpg

However, although the mold this cast was from did get used in the movie it wasn't for any of the scenes where the tentacle opened up. There are many subtle differences between the two. Number of ridges on the claw tip. the spacing and size of the chrome details and screw placement. But the biggest difference was the bevel on the base of the claw that wasn't on this model that allowed the claws to open and close without colliding with itself. But as luck would have it another cast came on the market of the claw that did open up.
277911916_519508699615635_8567322059456544845_n.jpg
We knew there was going to be differences between them, what we did not expect was it to be a lot smaller than the other. So all the work I did on the internals has to be modified to fit in the proper casing, and why I need to redo the three linking segments. I am currently in the process of scanning the new cast and turning it into a printable model.

Bottom Claws Harry/Larry
Things have moved along here quite a bit as well. Although in my previous posts it looked very close to being done, it was far bigger than it should have been. We are very close to being done with the model for these two as well.
Once again we were able to get 3d scans of many prototype parts for Harry/Larry from a source who wishes to remain anonymous, so I can't show you any images of the parts or the scans, but I can show you the results.
272827343_932569370984427_4541189629230125895_n.png
Now I am still figuring out how some of these parts connect together and how the animatronics that made them move fit inside, but I am getting closer. Here are some of the WIP images of the prints, and how it compared to the
271382098_622505022312419_1765178481503958819_n.jpg271728973_962252408036928_7640116728176026809_n.jpg275618812_552675946048284_889494935357758875_n.jpg275997119_924154768132921_8695628431474044460_n.jpg278138761_745278686639337_5460468967366134240_n.jpg
So as you can see things are still moving along nicely here.

Correct! I love meeting other people that know this fact. A few other lesser known facts are the reason why he uses Floe more than Moe to pick up and hold things is because Otto is right handed, so they took greater care to show him using floe more often, and the only two female puppeteers on the team often worked together to puppeteer Floe. I haven't been able to find their names but you can see here here in these behind the scenes images.
Screenshot 2022-05-12 231542.png148222894_749091722413020_8211434571863784391_n.pngtumblr_e5e7ab6c82cf9d435c932e3aa259cf25_b9049d73_640.jpg
And Harry and Larry have one very subtle difference that can be used to differentiate between the two. The three tiny claws that surround their eye are the opposite ways around. It is easiest to see it on this image here.
tumblr_lhcdlerxzO1qd7m1so1_1280.png

Will you ever have the files for sale?
Any chance you would sell the 3d files?
You done epic work , and do you mind letting the STL go?
As many have asked, yes I will be making the arm files available. It will also come with a list of parts required to assemble the tentacles, as there are many different screws, spacers, and mechanics that will be needed if you want to make a set of your own.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back