Space above and beyond helmet research

Hand-Schaub

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm beginning some research on the space helmets. I'm not too savy with the whole series because I am researching for a friend. I know of several people who have done this helmet but I could not find much on way of base helmets. I'm looking to do a "costume grade' helmet but I would still like to have some form of accuracy in it.
Much appreciated for any infomation on 'real world' parts that were used.

Thanks - I did see that web site - it's nice to see some decent behind the scenes photos.

I'm thinking that the front of the helmet is a lot like a 70s era fighter pilot helmet. I realize the helmet is custom and very far from anything off the shelf but it's very rare that prop guys would start from scratch to make a dome. I would assme they cut up an exisiting helmet at very least.

Wat might be some options? Even if it is not 100% accurate I would like to hear how others would go about starting.

Originally posted by Hand-Schaub@Mar 2 2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks - I did see that web site - it's nice to see some decent behind the scenes photos.

I'm thinking that the front of the helmet is a lot like a 70s era fighter pilot helmet.  I realize the helmet is custom and very far from anything off the shelf but it's very rare that prop guys would start from scratch to make a dome.  I would assme they cut up an exisiting helmet at very least. 

Wat might be some options?  Even if it is not 100% accurate I would like to hear how others would go about starting.
[snapback]1197487[/snapback]​

I looked at some of my flight helmets, it looks more like a helicopter helmet than any of the vintage jet helmets I have, but my collection is far from all-inclusive. I am basing this "guess" on the visor cover shown on that website, it looks like a visor cover from an APH series helo helmet.

David Tremont may have built the helmets. He was last working at the Weta Workshop, I think, doing stuff for King Kong.

Good luck, this is an overlooked helmet that IMHO has alot of appeal. The show was great.

The S:AAB helmet is definately created from scratch. The only part that is from an existing helmet is the knob that lowers the visor. I have one of the original helmets from the series pilot (Vansen's), as well as several other versions.
Scott

All right... thanks for the input guys.

I guess the only question I have is if you guys with the real deal can shed some light on size. Basically just the length and width. I'll be sculpting on a head bust but it would be nice to have a few guide lines. Also - the canisters on the back - are those from a model kit?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back