Solo Bespin Jacket

Dave Ward

Sr Member
Two options out there, Costumebase *ahem*, and Corellian Exports. Wondering if anyone could review either of these, I'm looking for something that i can wear day-to-day - normally i'd stay well away from costumebase but theirs looks pretty good.

It's made out of a sort of light twill or bottomweight. The fit is okay, but the collar doesn't really stand right and it doesn't have any real structure. Not a terrible jacket for the money at all (you can make him an offer of I think $30 and he'll take it.) Haven't had any experience with CE, and I can't say I've ever even seen a decent sized picture of one of his either. I'd definitely like to though, so if anybody has ever bought one, please post pics.

Oh, and the CB jacket is unlined, kind of like a heavy shirt that you can't close.

Don't go the CostumeBase route unless you really don't care too much about accuracy. I have one that I bought out of desperation. Yes, it's cheap, but it is Halloween costume quality, really.

The collar is not only unstructured, it is inaccurate - it doesn't extend as far as the front placket they way it should. The pockets themselves are reasonably accurate, but there is velcro on all of the pocket flaps, stitched through to the outside so you can see it. As Risu mentioned, it is unlined, and the fabric is a bit thin - it wrinkles more than it should. The basic pattern and color overall is not bad, but the sleeves are weird - they are SO long! I am 6' 2", and had to take them up almost two inches!! I guess their model was a gorilla.

Dawn Andersen made the nicest, most accurate jacket - doesn't look like she still sells them (they were nearly $500). She does still sell the pattern for $18, though.

Good luck with your search. Share your findings!

Rick

Last edited:
That's weird, I remember the sleeves on mine being a little short and I'm the same height. They were pretty billowy, though.

I have a CE jacket and it's...eh...The collar is crooked on mine and the seems where the shoulder meets the sleeves are too....poofy...if that's a word. It's really blue to whereas the original was much darker.

John

That's weird, I remember the sleeves on mine being a little short and I'm the same height.

Well, then perhaps YOU are a gorilla! :lol

When did you get yours? Recently? I got mine this past Halloween time. Who knows, if yours is older than that, maybe people complained that the sleeves were too short, so they started to make them longer!

One of the cosplay places used to have an ESB jacket - but I've never seen anyone here review it, and I don't have a link to it. Sometimes those cosplay places actually have some pretty good stuff - but it seems real hit or miss.

R

I never dealt with costume base but I often heard they have a bad reputation concerning accuracy and quality.
You could make the jacket yourself or go to a seamstress. There is a good pattern available that seems realy accurate and not to hard to use.

I spent a lot getting the CB jacket altered and it's alright. I'd say to get the Dawn Anderson pattern and find a seamstress to build a jacket based on that. Her jacket was amazing. I owned one a long time ago and then lost weight and it didn't fit so I sold it.

The other question is color: you can go blue as it looks onscreen or grey as it actually was.

I've been looking for this same jacket recently and debating whether to have it custom made or go with the Dawn Anderson pattern. For anybody who has gone the pattern route what sort of fabricv did you use?

I spent a lot getting the CB jacket altered and it's alright. I'd say to get the Dawn Anderson pattern and find a seamstress to build a jacket based on that. Her jacket was amazing. I owned one a long time ago and then lost weight and it didn't fit so I sold it.

The other question is color: you can go blue as it looks onscreen or grey as it actually was.

Seriously, grey? It doesn't look grey on screen or in ANY promo pics I've ever seen. What's the story on that?

Most people use a deep blue heavy cotton twill, like the one Dawn Andersen sells on her site:

Dark Navy Twill Fabric

You should be able to get it at a better price than she has, however.

There's an ebay seller who sells really nice twill at a good price - I bought some black for my ANH Solo vest. Here they are:

FABRIC items - Get great deals on 100 COTTON CHINO TWILL, POLY COTTON TWILL items on eBay Stores!

You'll probably want something 9 oz. or more in weight - I used 8 oz. brushed chino twill for my ANH vest, but I felt it could have been heavier.

Rick

Wasn't it a navy blue wool twill? I seem to recall it having a very similar texture to the Indy pants.

The original was a charcoal (dark) grey. I would recommend a 10oz cotton at least, no lighter. I'm sure the original was a twill, but nowhere as textured as the original Indy pants.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

any pics on these? i'd love to see detailed pics of Dawn Anderson's Falcon pattern, thinkin of buyin the pattern and getting one made. I'd like to make a Luke Bespin jacket too off the same design like Starfire Phoenix did

Necro-ing this as a seamstress friend has offered to take this on - I'll turn this into a build thread! :)

First up this weekend...shopping for twill.

rise_from_your_grave.png

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Get grey twill. Since this thread ran its course two years ago, it's pretty much been agreed that the real color is grey. A cool charcoal grey, which is one of the reasons it often looks blue. I'm a convert - I thought it was blue, too, but now I know better. It's true color is best seen in scenes on the Falcon.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress!

RRR

And I still say it's wool based on drape and lack of wrinkling. Gabardine possibly. Looking forward to your progress, I'm seriously considering getting the Dawn Anderson pattern really soon.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back