Solo ANH Hero Scope Mount. New Pics near the end

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by gavidoc, Sep 28, 2005.

1. gavidoc

gavidoc Well-Known Member

The suppressor has been found. Kudos to all of you for doing that. Now why don't you try and identify the scope mount.

In the suppressor thread I got off on a tangent about the mount in a discussion with Prop Runner. In that discussion I was talking about the position of the vertical bracket to the cradle.

My description wasn't the best so I went ahead and made a quick and dirty 3d model (no dimensions are right).

Here are the images to convey what it was I was saying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What you see is a ONE piece design. This is how I personally believe it was built. The entire part is cast. Center oval cutout was either an insert or was machined out post casting.

I say post casting as this is how the Colt 1911 45's were made (and are still made). The frames are cast solid and the magazine cutouts are added post process.

2. amish

amish Sr Member

Hi Gav.

Unfortunately, I am at work and our filter does not allow for weapon or gun sites to display.... I have tried some searching, but cannot see any results.

Anyway, try searching for Russian Mosin Nagant, this rifle has a scope mount slightly similar to this and might be a lead to a series of scope mounts.

There are different versions of this rifle, and one might have the scope mount we are looking for. I would do all the searching myself, unfortunately, I cant do to the filter.

There are different Mosin Nagant rifles out there : M1891 91/10 91/30 1938 1944.

I will search more when I return home.

Tom

3. gavidoc

Mosin Nagant mounts are close but I was never able to successfully find one that matched.

I personally believe it might be an off the shelf mount that was available in Germany around WWI. A lot of German snipers in WWI used their own rifles or they were converted sporting/hunting rifles.

I'm not interested in a part myself but am willing to offer my opinions on how it was constructed. Let others take the glory. :D

4. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Is there any reason to limit the search to guns?

Could this have been used on something else....maybe a midget hand rail holder or something, :D I dunno

5. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

gav, do you think this was a WHOLE piece, rather than a rail and cradle later attached together ? Do your references show the joining portions as continuous ?

6. Got Maul

drew, it has to be a scope of some sort considering the scope rings are...afterall, scope rings- all assuming of course this is ONE piece...

7. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Since I have yet to see a prop part "machined" in ANH.........I'd have to bet that the scope assembly is a found scope assembly. I don't think there is doubt about the rings either Drew. That design has been around a very long time.

Dave

8. gavidoc

Yes I do.

When you look at other rifle scope mounts of the time period as well as during WWII, many of them are a one part cast piece.

The fillet on the interior edge between the vertical bracket and the cradle would facilitate the demolding of the part from the die.

9. gavidoc

Let's go people. Figured taht you've got the ANH Suppressor and the ANH Kenobi Emitter taken care of in 1 week.

Might as well add another.

10. Got Maul

dude, been searching for the past two nights consecutively - and NOTHING...google rocks though :)

11. gavidoc

YEah, I know what you mean.

That sucker is a major bastard. Of course, internet searching isn't my strong point. That's why my wife always does our vacation planning. :lol

12. gavidoc

Oh BTW,

Dovetail isn't in those renderings (if it is a dovetail).

I don't htink the dovetail was "locked" into the horizontal bracket. Just screwed into it. Rear of the dovetail (if it is a dovetail) is actually sitting flush to the horizontal bracket.

Why you ask? Well, if I still had ANH blaster photos I'd show you with spiffy diagrams and colored lines ala Prop Runner and Serafino (;)) but I'll describe it to you instead.

The scope is NOT perpendicular to the barrel in either pre or post shots. The horizontal bracket is perpendicular to the line of the barrel or bottom of the upper receiver. The scope bell is tilted back so that the scope front is pointing up some.

Both photos show this. Also, the horizontal bracket is turned 180 degrees between the pre and the post photos. The center hole is not perfectly centered on the horizontal bracket.

13. amish

amish Sr Member

I havent forgot about you Gav, after the ANH Flash Hider, I am taking a break from Google :)

I will try and start again on this Friday and delve more into it over the weekend.

I am sure we can find it...

14. amish

amish Sr Member

Wanted to add that this mount obviously attached to the side of a weapon. We should limit our searches to Side Scope Mounts.

Just an observation

15. gavidoc

Also,

No guarantees that there is indeed a "dovetail" on the back of this mount. Reason being, good chance that this scope mount is for a bolt action rifle.

How many bolt action rifles do you know of that have a scope mounted off the center of the rifle? Scopes for rifles are mounted on top of the barrel.

So, it is my real opinion that the mount is put on the ANH blaster backwards from the way it was designed to go. IE: flip it 180 degrees and that is how it was designed to be mounted.

Of course, a dovetail is possible. What that means is that the scope mount would indeed be setup with the scope almost over the barrel and the quick release tension thumbscrew could not be easily disengaged.

Who knows?

16. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Gav,

Let's try this backwards, maybe... How about we start with the scope? Was it built for military use or civilian sportsman/hunting? During what years was it produced in that particular style? What do we know for CERTAIN it was mounted on? A hunting/sniper rifle? A recoiless cannon? A tank? An artillery spotter's rangefinder? If we can identify the type or types of firearms the HW-DIALYT3X was associated with, perhaps we should focus our attention on that manufacturer until we've exhausted every source before ruling it out.

We also know that the ANH cradle, rings, vertical mount, and side block were used on the "Sitting Target" Bapty Mauser, so there's a slim chance that pistol-scope configuration has appeared in other movies, if not in real life.

[​IMG]

A filmography of Bapty would be one possible venue to check. Perhaps a record of the Mausers they carried. Shouldn't the UK Interior Ministry (or whatever govt. agency is responsible for firearm registration) have kept all their weapons' serial numbers on file? If we want to track this particular Mauser down, the slow, scientific method may yet prove the most promising, even if also the most time-consuming.

Just throwing some ideas around - what do you guys think?

- Gabe

17. gavidoc

From my research many moons ago, the Hensoldt Wetzlar Dialyt scopes were designed for hunting/sporting purposes. When WWI broke out, the German army purchase many off the shelf scopes and rifles for use by their "snipers" as they had better accuracy then military contract grade rifles. Problems arose though in the fact that the sporting/hunting rifles and scopes were not designed to take the kind of abuse associated with battlefield conditions.

IIRC, the Dialyt 3 that we are looking for was only produced in the 1910-1914 period. Problem is that Hensoldt Wetzlar documents were lost during a fire in WWII I believe.

18. amish

amish Sr Member

The design reminds me of something of an SKS....

19. gavidoc

Here are some sniper rifle configurations to go with my post about the scope mounting over the barrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice the quick release on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last image is of a WWI german sniper I believe.

[​IMG]

Here's looking at you.

[​IMG]

20. Got Maul

been checking SKS along with Rugers and leapers...nothing so far. The only thing close has been your earlier suggestion to the mosin nagants.

Prop Runner, in that picture of the preHan, could it be concluded that the portion of the mount is infact part of ANH han ? Sorry if I am not up to my lore, I only joined this search :)

21. Got Maul

22. Got Maul

on a side note, god these would make great customs .

23. Got Maul

24. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I still say the cradle is centrally mounted to the "O" or "T" mount. :)

My only evidence is the single B&W photo of Ford pointing the blaster at the camera:

[​IMG]

25. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Thanks for posting those pics, Jose. They may not represent what we're looking for, but they can certainly help in the process of elimination.

Here's a strategy I'd like to suggest:

We know what the dimensions need to be for the distance between the scope rings, the width of the rings, and the diameter of the scope. Let's designate them A, B, and C. On a modern SKS mount, what are these dimensions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The configuration is very close to this fan-made replica:

[​IMG]

(look familiar, gav? :D )

So let's rule out all mounts where the dimensions A, B, and C DO NOT support a HW-DIALYT3X scope.

Here are the dimensions I have for my MARK IV scope & bracket:

A = 27.0 mm
    B = 18.75 mm
    C = 22.30 mm

I'm sure these will be off between each buildup, as the cradle and rings were cast in resin.

Please post what you have for your replicas and for a real HW scope and SKS mount, as I don't have either...

Here's a vintage SKS scope for comparison to the two above:

[​IMG]

The above photo is courtesy of Moogybaby, who patiently awaits his return from exile in Doc's OT Forum and is dying to contribute to this discussion - the ANH Han blaster is his favorite SW prop and he could make some very valuable contributions... :(

Anyway, look how close the scope rings match the hero rings... If I had a first direction to choose in which to hunt down our elusive scope bracket, it would be among SKS mounts and their variants.

Question to ask: besides the Soviets, Romanians, and Chinese, who else used to manufacture SKS rifles and accessories? N. Korea? Czechloslovakia? Ukraine? Poland? Cuba? The more manufacturers we find, the more likely we'll also find custom scope mounts and variants on the original.

What leaves me scratching my head whenever I look at our hero bracket is this question:

WHY EVEN HAVE A CRADLE? No scope brackets that I've seen have one, just separate rings. The typical vertical ring brackets are extremely robust and never become misaligned. I simply don't see a reason for a cradle...

Anyway, my ruminations...

- Gabe

26. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

CE,

The only reason I have to question your interpretation is the description gavidoc gave for his "purist" hero buildup: the scope is tilted toward the muzzle and also vertically.

Thus if you take into account the tilt plus perspective in the B&W front shot, this is what I see:

[​IMG]

Having said that, I don't think we should rule out a center-mounted vertical bracket yet - I would love to be proven wrong. :)

- Gabe

27. Durasteel Corporation

just out of curiosity, would any part of this bracket have been cut down from a larger piece?

28. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Curiosity is the healthiest part of any research, and your question led me to look over my reference photos again, as it had never occurred to me that the T-bracket may have been modified...

So here's some interesting details that stood out:

[​IMG]

I'm almost positive I'm seeing some sort of screw, nut, or pin going INTO the T-bracket underneath the lower front scope ring. Whatever it is, I see at least 2 concentric curves, and possibly a counterbore around a screw head. So could the T-bracket be attached to the lower scope rings from the side as opposed from the bottom? And if we agree that the lower rings have been cut on the side facing the upper receiver, then can we rule out that flats were cut into the bottom arc to accept the T-bracket?

Gavidoc: at what point did we conclude that the mount was a one-piece T-bracket & cradle part? Based only on SKS-type mounts?

I believe we should start looking seriously at scope brackets and mounting hardware that INCORPORATE the T-bracket shape, as opposed to ONLY the T-bracket as we see it on the hero blaster. Drew is right - it could be part of a larger assembly and perhaps not even a scope mount originally. Anything is possible at this stage...

So , :thumbsup or :thumbsdown ? Is this something we've overlooked, or am I seeing things at 2:45 in the morning? :eek

- Gabe

29. gavidoc

I've alwasy viewed those cuts as intentional in the original design to make it easier for a quick release locking lever.

I have seen other mounts with a similar design done that way. While rare, I saw a couple scope cradles similar to this at a local gun show a few years ago.

As for looking at SKS mounts, while agreeing that we shouldn't limit our options think about the origin of all the other parts that are found on the ANH blaster and Kenobi sabre as they came from Bapty.

Suppressor: German
    Gun: German
    Scope: German

While the parts found on the ANH Kenobi are predominately UK in origin.

Emitter: UK
    Grenade: UK
    Gear: UK (more then likely)
    Pommel: UK (not certain if came from Bapty but possiblity)

Just something I"ve noticed.

30. amish

amish Sr Member

Great work thus far guys. Unfortunately, I am off to work and a filtered internet which does not let me look at guns....lol

Anyway, looking at the Picture you posted about Gabe, it does look like the bracket is mounted in the center, though it could be a trick of the lighting.

I will not rule out anything, when I am searching I look more at the shape of the bracket rather then the scope mounts.

I am also going to expand my search to other areas besides military, though it is likely a military piece given the history of other found parts.

Tom

31. Got Maul

* great discussion. Gabe, that no cut in the second ring brings up a very disconcerting feeling...do you think that ring is inverted ? It doesn't make sense to have the ring mount designed that way. If it is inverted, a chilling conclusion is that the Rings were seperate from the mount to begin with...?

anyhow, I will start focusing efforts to the SKS

32. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

Looking at your pics Gabe, I decided to try help with some photoshopping.
    [​IMG]
    Now I do see that there is something under the first scope bracket, but I also noticed that the edge to the side of the bracket seems to have a different, larger width than the back bracket. I added some lines to try and show this. Also, doesn't the top of the first bracket look different than the back, or is it a trick in the photo? Was this bracket cobbled together from a bunch of different scope parts? I'm also wondering if the screw notch added to the back bracket was added by Bapty to attach the top to the bottom of the scope ring, or is it like that as a way to have it mounted to the upper receiver without getting in the way of the rear sight? That may be why the back edge is smaller on the side of the mount?
    I also notice the scope rings look identical on the opposite side of the gun. Could this mount have been attached backwards? I donÂ’t have a Mauser or a Denix, but would the scope fit over the gun instead of beside it if mounted in this fashion? I'm just wondering if the differing details from one side to the other are due to a 'quick release locking lever' that is absent here, as Gavidoc mentioned.

Just thinkin....

Brinn 71

33. Got Maul

btw- those real closeups- is it me or do they illustrate the knurling on the adjustment knob as straightcut (versus diamond pattern) - that's how my scope is :)

34. gavidoc

Gabe,

don't know about anyone else, but from making numerous versions of the darn thing that was the conclusion I came up with.

Version 1: Center mounted

How would the T bracket be mounted to the cradle and not interfere with the scope? Mounting through the center of the lower cradle would result in problems. What type of screws do you use? How is it strong? For strength, you would need a groove down the middle of the lower cradle which leaves less room for screw heads.

Result? Only a one piece design with fillets on both sides of the T bracket would work best.

Version 2: Off center

How is it possible to do an off center mounted t bracket not attached to the cradle? Obviously a problem that was solved by both Worley and MR by mounting the T bracket to the scope, correct? Not possible in the real world. Screws? they would interfere with the inner circumfrence of the cradle without heavy modification which would cause a weakened surface as the wall thickness of the cradle would be thin in those areas. Screw heads would have to be ground down for the scope to fit properly.

Result? Again, only a 1 piece design makes sense with a fillet for strength.

Version 3: Way off center ala Icons

This design in general makes absolutely no sense as the T bracket would have to be mounted through the inner scope ring screw holes. Quite obviously not hte case based on photographic evidence.

That's a purty replica mount. Where did you get it? ;)

[​IMG]

I only think a total of 4 were made.

35. Got Maul

you should make it five.

36. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Jose,

When I say "lower ring," keep in mind that both front and back lower rings are fused to the cradle, so I can't see how they can be inverted - unless I misunderstood your meaning. For whatever reason, that could simply be how the mount system was designed: 3 screws on top, one on bottom... Or, as has been suggested, the rings could have come from different mounts with different configurations. I tend to doubt that, however, given how the distinct shape of the upper rings does not resemble anything out there except for maybe the SKS mount.

Brinn - regarding your observations, here's how I see the cuts in the lower cradle flanges (I really should stop calling them lower rings, lol):

[​IMG]

It's obvious to all that on the Han blaster, there's plenty of distance between the rings and the upper receiver, however on the "Sitting Target" prop, the mount was much closer to the gun, since there was no horizontal bar in between. And if we assume it was closer, then yeah, it makes perfect sense that the rear cradle flange would have a deeper cut than the front flange (remember - it's mounted on the left hand side), in order to clear the sliding elevation sight.

I therefore have to conclude that the mount was cut by Bapty when assembled to the "sitting Target" Mauser, and that it was never designed to be used with a Broomhandle Mauser pistol.

- Gabe

P.S. I just noticed that on my GK blaster, Denix put on the elevation sight with the release button facing the right hand side and on my MARK IV blaster, it's facing the left hand side:

[​IMG]

Does anybody else have Denixes with sights assembled both ways? My first thought was that it's a factory error on the MARK IV Denix, but a Google search on C-96 Broomhandle Mausers demonstrates that sometimes the sight release botton does face the left hand side:

[​IMG]

although admittedly, this particular one might have been reassembled incorrectly - all the other photos and exploded view diagrams show the release button facing the right...

37. spinner 44

spinner 44 Well-Known Member

To Gave,

I wanted to post this pic from the Chronicles. Its a full blow up I did looking for details. I noticed this one thing. All the screws holding the cradle suppors look to me likethey are NOT allen type head, but button head ones with a single engraved line, like they most commom screws.

All the representations of the blaster i've seen to this moment show allen head screws inserted in the mounts and too thin in diameter

[​IMG]

Close up
    [​IMG]

Crappy pointing of screw head
    [​IMG]

Also, I got this one pic saved from a earlier post. The cradle base has a hollow on the down part. I remember very clearly this from the STAR WARS dvd campaing, they had this full size Hans in cardboard and the hole was VERY clear. maybe someone can find better resolution pics of this one.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. What a week....

38. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Spinner, I agree with you 100% regarding the screws - I really can't imagine why everybody's always used socket head cap screws (what you call Allen screws - Allen refers to the L-shaped wrench, but yeah, it's associated with the hex-socket screws :) ) I wonder if it's because Icons used these screws on their artist proofs, and everybody figured they must be the right ones...

In fact, you can't really make out ANY screws on either side of the pre-production blaster:

[​IMG]

I also can't see any hole or indentation on the bottom of the cradle - you're the first to mention it, so let's see if we can dig up some good DVD captures. :)

- Gabe

39. gavidoc

Spinner,

I agree with you on the screws. They aren't socket head screws and they shouldn't be.

Of course, that's why I used 5/40 fillister head standard screws on mine which is what are used on real scope rings. ;)

Use the correct hardware, and it makes other details line up for more accuracy.

Those photos that show the heads also is the same photo that shows how the scope is tilted towards the muzzle as well as tilted up.

Gabe,

The Denix sight adjustment is put on in the incorrect orientation at the factory. For accuaracy reasons, it must be rotated 180 degrees ala Worley's version.

40. Durasteel Corporation

Hey guys

I went to the MG81,34 etc shop today. I brought the Chronicles and the guys were pretty receptive to "relative geekiness" after I told them I did a lot of museum restoration and reproduction work which broke the ice a lot.

anyway, I showed them the layout in the Chony with the solo blaster. Two of them very quickly said, 'oh thats Russian' ...on guys said 'well maybe chech'........and they listed about 5 guns faster that I could remember them.

I dont know if that helps or seems incorrect *we all know to take expert knowledge in stride* so either way, hope it helps. :)

Drew

41. Got Maul

I agree with you drew. So far I think what they are referring to is the same as what Gabe has been mentioning the whole time....SKS. SKS used to be manufactured in Russia, then right next to and for the Czech soldiers, until it finally moved to China which is the current place of production. At least your sources do know what they are talking about since the designs changed little between Russia and Czech.

The UNFORTUNATE thing is, I have been in contact with one of their sources (SKS) from china, and not only did the current SKS production person not know what this piece was, but the technical staff didn't either.

Perhaps they weren't well versed in the history...no less, I keep looking

**edit:typo**.

42. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

So what are those 5 guns, Drew? Spit it out, man. Did they have any books or photos of these rifles (with scopes) that could help?

Gav: actually, it's the MARK IV that seems to have the elevation sight incorrectly oriented (take a look again). If you check out at any Broomhandle photo on Google, the button faces right (except for the one I posted above). Here's an exploded view of a Mauser - are you telling me it's wrong, or did you make a mistake in your post?

[​IMG]

- Gabe

43. Durasteel Corporation

I would if I remembered.....I was out of my league. Ill be heading back next week.

Give me something solid to ask..so I dont waste their time bumbling for the right words. :p

44. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Gav: recognizing and following patterns is generally a good thing, but sometimes they keep us blinded to exceptions and new opportunities. We gotta think outside the box on this one, dude. :)

For instance - yeah, Han's hero ANH blaster and greeblies are German (except for the model engine grill), but the Sterling is British and used a German Hengstler counter and an American M-38 scope, and the ESB Han & Luke blasters also shared German and US parts, so unfortunately your pattern of props built up with "country-specific" parts breaks down in the face of other examples. Obviously Bapty had access to thousands of firearms from all over the world. Leia's gun is a Soviet .22 caliber target pistol, so it's not a stretch to imagine they had Soviet, Czech, and other Warsaw pact weapons.

What I'm saying is that those who were convinced the suppressor was a fire extinguisher nozzle pretty much suppressed and extinguished (pardon the puns) any serious new research for years, and those of us (including myself) who doubted the theory were afraid of being ridiculed by the "old guard" if we dared try to cast doubt or explore new directions. In the case of the scope mount, the SKS rings SCREAM similarities, so we have to think of the hero scope as a duck, and go look for other ducks. If we don't find any ducks after a good, long, hard search, then we revisit the pattern.

Quack. :)

- Gabe

45. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

1. "What-were-those-5-guns-you-mentioned-last time?"

2. "Do-you-have-any-books-or-pictures-showing-these-guns-with-scopes?"

3. "Can-you-refer-me-to-someone-who-may-have-more-information?"

;)

- Gabe

46. Got Maul

question 1a : Would you mind if I write this all down while we talk ?

47. Durasteel Corporation

Im wired, please dont pat me down. :lol (do you mind if I conduct 'round the clock surveilance)

48. gavidoc

Made a mistake. Should have said like the Cantina.

The Denix adjustments are put on incorrectly though (or they were a few years ago). Don't know if they fixed that or not.

49. gavidoc

I agree that other props were not put togehter with country specific parts, I'm just saying that those two props seem to be.

We don't know how the Kenobi got to Lucasfilm but it is obvious that the Mauser Solo was sent from Bapty without the grill on it. The gun itself was a German specific weapon (sans the mount) from what we can tell.

I was under the impression anyway that the Vader and the Skywalker sabres were not made by Bapty and were put together by the Lucas crew which would include the clamp on the Kenobi. So if we go by that, then the ANH Kenobi also arrived from Bapty with all country specific parts.

Leias blaster is a Russian sporting blaster, but the grill thingies was added after the gun was sent from Bapty just like on the Solo Blaster. The ANH trooper blaster was a British gun. The only other trully distinguishable part is the scope which was also made in England.

The Jawa Ion gun was a British Lee-Enfield with a British grenade launcher on it.

All I'm saying is that hte props from Bapty prior to alterations appear to be country specific, nothing more. I agree that we shouldn't limit our searches, just that there appears to be a pattern.

Do we know who added the scopes to the Sterlings? Even though the scopes might have been made in the USA, there were also British issued, American made tanks. What about the Hengslter counters? Do we know who added the scopes to the ESB blasters? Was it Bapty or was it Lucasfilm?

50. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

First off, great work so far guys.

But before we get all caught up looking at country specific part sets, you have to remember that Bapty was a movie prop supply house.

30 yrs after WWII and being british, they probably supplied parts to many, many WWII movies which would mean supplying historically accurate british, german, russian, italian and american parts. They probably went around and bought either surplus or stuff that would have been considered junk at the time, just so they'd have it on hand for war movies.

LFL probably just asked for a couple boxes worth of military surplus, including guns and sight and mounts and other junk they had laying around. Would explain how you get a german gun with a russian mount, or a british gun with an american scope and a german parts counter. Not to mention british airplane engine parts (coughderwentenginecough) for robot heads and what not.

Just something to keep in mind.

Having said that, get back to work you slackers, the mount isn't going to ID itself :lol.

Plus with the correct mount, the newly ID'd muzzle ad the already ID'd scope, we can all build an accurate blaster (granted I'd need the muzzle, mount, scope and a bull barrel).

-Fred