Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

It cracks me up how everyone is all up in arms about any actor's height. They can mask that kind of stuff with camera angles. Many leading men in movies tend to have themselves photographed a few steps closer to camera (i.e. forced perspective) to give them a few inches of height on their co stars when being filmed. You'd think people would be more concerned with the actor being able to actually act.

I have serious doubts about this movie even being any good anyway, not matter who they cast in the role. Will I see it? Of course, but my expectations are not set very high.

Every James Bond actor was 6' 2" tall, except Roger Moore, who was 6' 1". Then came Daniel Craig, at 5' 10". He looks short on camera--never quite right. Would you ever cast a 5' 6" actor to play Bond? Because that's how tall this new Solo guy is.

The Wook

Yeah I'm not a fan of Miles Teller either.

If I was a casting agent I would cast an actor based on his or her ability to play the part that is being cast, whether or not they are 2-4 inches shorter than the original actor is entirely irrelevant.

Last edited:

Is Disney trying to screw its own movie on purpose?!
The actor they seem to have chosen looks more like ray liotta than Harrison ford.

I guess the casting director must have loved goodfellas a lot!

If I was a casting agent I would cast an actor based on his or her ability to play the part that is being cast, whether or not they are 2-4 inches shorter than original actor is entirely irrelevant.

Where do you draw the line? This guy isn't 2-4 inches shorter than the OT Ford. He's 7" shorter.

The Wook

ps~Another vintage pic where Harrison looks just like Anthony Ingruber.

tumblr_o08ncuzNBY1v33qq8o1_500.jpg

I'm not dodging the question. I'm saying that his height is irrelevant to his ability to play the part of Han Solo.

I'm not dodging the question. I'm saying that his height is irrelevant to his ability to play the part of Han Solo.

So then, would you cast a midget to play Han Solo, if you believed he was the best candidate for the part in every other way?

The Wook

Sure. Cast the entire thing with little people and call it Willow. Lol. If it was up to me I wouldn't bother making a Han Solo movie. I think Disney should explore other characters, settings and eras in Star Wars galactic history.

I'd cast whoever is right for the part, regardless of their height.

Having opposing opinions does not make either of us wrong. It just means we see it differently.

There is no right or wrong here. :)

Just a difference of opinion. That's all.

There have been a billion leading men shorties over the years. Iron Man isn't supposed to be 5'8" but here we are. And what about Tom Cruise?

also:

WHOOOO CAAAAARES

Every James Bond actor was 6' 2" tall, except Roger Moore, who was 6' 1". Then came Daniel Craig, at 5' 10". He looks short on camera--never quite right. Would you ever cast a 5' 6" actor to play Bond? Because that's how tall this new Solo guy is.

The Wook

No way he's only 5'6". Josh Brolin 5'10', George Clooney 5'11' AND Tatum Channing 6'1" with Jonah Hill 5'7". But Alden doesn't look puny next to those other boys. If he was 5'6" he would be shorter then Hill.

I think this whole argument is dumb, I'm far more interested in how he portrays the character then how tall he is in real life.

Attachments

• hail-caesar-review-08feb16-07.jpg
    hail-caesar-review-08feb16-07.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Height is definitely a consideration - but, I don't think it's the ultimate deciding factor. The idea that he looks nothing like Han Solo or Harrison Ford is.

Sure, if he really was 5'6" he would look small on screen but that's certainly not the case. River Phoenix didn't look like a young Harrison Ford but I bought it. I still think he deserves a shot.

So then, would you cast a midget to play Han Solo, if you believed he was the best candidate for the part in every other way?

The Wook

You're just being intentionally stupid.

Height doesn't become a factor until the point it's technically problematic. Would there be problems shooting the thing with a guy 5'6? No there wouldn't. Now, it would become a technical issue if he was 5'-0". You'd rarely be able to show him full shot and ever other shot you'd have to adjust for his height unless you plan on setting the thing on Kashyyk the entire time where, it'd actually make things EASIER because you wouldn't have to go find a bunch of 7 footers to play wookies :)

More to the point, the group photo shown a few posts earlier clearly shows he's about 5'-9". If clooney is 5'11, he's about 2" shorter in that photo. Hill's 5'7 and he's clearly taller than him.

So, if, as someone posted earlier, ford is in the 5'11/6'0 range and this is 5'9, i'd say it's an utter non-issue.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back