Soldier Boy Helmet (The Boys)

ryanoh

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm surprised I didn't see any other threads about this costume, just the one about the sheild. I hope this isn't a duplicate.

Anyways... I took a long while off making stuff and I'm getting back into it with a simple-ish project — a 3D printed Soldier Boy helmet. There's still some polishing and I need to clean up the ridges, especially where they meet along the bridge of the nose, but I'm super happy with this so far! This fits tight on my head, which is about 23" if I measured correctly, so this is probably the best I've ever done on scaling a model as well. There was quite a bit of post processing, especially the texture on the eagle which is made from styrene, but this is base 3D model I purchased. I'm planning on making some castings of this, as well as finishing a few with the WWII Captain America style straps, even though these don't ever appear in The Boys show.

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 141
Is a helmet a costume? Should this have gone in Replica Props rather than Replica Costumes?

Is a helmet a costume? Should this have gone in Replica Props rather than Replica Costumes?
It's part of a costume! There was a big debate here when everyone was making Iron Man helmets back in 2009-2011 about whether they were props or costumes since they sort of straddled the divide. So the same thing applies here.

Bucket is looking clean though! And it's always a good feeling when the scaling gods smile on you!

Thanks! For a while I was having to squeeze it a little to get the inset of the eyes past my own eyebrows, a little sanding on the inside and it fits perfect. Having something basically 1:1 with my skull is going to make sizing things in the future a lot easier, I hope.

Hopefully this last coat of primer will come out well enough and I can painting doing gold tomorrow. This photo looks a little rough but I’m hoping I can do some burnishing with newsprint to knock it back down once it’s dry.

Attachments

• 3F9E969A-DAB1-4968-B8D4-E162FCBB96B0.jpeg
    3F9E969A-DAB1-4968-B8D4-E162FCBB96B0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
Coat of gold looking good! This is first time I’ve done gloss black under metal, it looks so much better this way!

Attachments

• D7082BDF-6C1C-4DC2-9232-5B11D88A2128.jpeg
    D7082BDF-6C1C-4DC2-9232-5B11D88A2128.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 107
Just some rattle can Rustoleum gold, I actually bought a whole different paint but an old one I had ended up looking closer to the finish I wanted.

I’ve had some real issues with the masking and painting on this so I’ve had to sand it down three times now. Humidity I guess? If anything the sanded weathered looks cool even though all the colors are reversed now lol.

I’ve decided to mold/cast it while it’s in a shiny state then maybe paint one of those instead. Silicone comes in the mail tomorrow, wish me luck!

Attachments

• 18E1DFD6-8F9E-4C49-B2B3-61B0BA982A56.jpeg
    18E1DFD6-8F9E-4C49-B2B3-61B0BA982A56.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
I’ve had some real issues with the masking and painting on this so I’ve had to sand it down three times now. Humidity I guess? If anything the sanded weathered looks cool even though all the colors are reversed now lol.

I’ve decided to mold/cast it while it’s in a shiny state then maybe paint one of those instead. Silicone comes in the mail tomorrow, wish me luck!
Luck! Just don’t be a dummy like me and forget to mix your silicone completely.

I trapped someone Captain America parts in blocks of silicon. Lol

Luck! Just don’t be a dummy like me and forget to mix your silicone completely.

I trapped someone Captain America parts in blocks of silicon. Lol
Haha, oh no. Did you end up cutting them out?

I’ve done molding before but this will only be my second helmet. Last time I didn’t add any thickening agent to the silicone and my final cast was a very melted looking Magneto helmet due to the mold moving around inside the shell when I was rotocasting it. Hopefully it goes better this time lol.

Eyyyyy!

48DDB7A6-67A6-4382-8F9F-AA9FD89F4455.jpeg

Successful first pull! I accidentally bought semi-rigid first my first run of resin, I’m not sure if I like it. It helps as far as fitting the helmet on your head, but it looks a little floppy on display. I need to thicken some of the wall with another pour, hopefully the next one turns out as well.

Painting this was hard so I shelved it for a few months, happy to report that after starting again this weekend it mostly came out how I wanted. There’s a few mistakes but hopefully I can hide them with weathering in the near future.
CDD5D412-95E2-47D7-A9E9-73F68CDCC19C.jpeg

Last edited:
064681DB-6109-445E-85DB-E2DD3C6F285C.jpeg

I did some pretty heavy physical weathering to this helmet tonight with some files, I need to go back with some paint/rub and buff and clean it up. I know this wasn’t in the show but I really wanted to go for a “was used in WWII” look that a Captain America helmet might have.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back