SO YOU WANT TO MAKE/BUY A PREDATOR SUIT? READ THIS!!!!!!

Its taken about 6 months to build my suit up from scratch, alot of hard work and time gone in to it by me and many people on the lair, almost finished... will be done before the expo next month.

I myself is now going into the 3rd year of my build, but happy to say it should be done by the end of the week. So listen up new guys it's not something that can be done quickly. Goodluck to all the new hunters

As a noob, I have to say this post is very informative, but aimed mostly at the wrong audience. I myself am one of the dreaded Halloween folk who discovered this site while looking up info for making my costume. I've been working on my costume since the end of August, and I will be spending about $400 bucks on it give or take. Now maybe it's just me, but I didn't join this forum expecting to have an amazing suit like many of you do. My goal was to have a passable Predator costume for a Halloween Party I'm going to. It doesn't need to be perfect, and it doesn't even have to survive the night. Now maybe some of the noobs on here are expecting to make top notch suits in just 2 months, and if they do, they are crazy. But I'm willing to bet that most of the Halloween noobs are just looking for tips to make a passable costume for Halloween.

So far on this site I have found a ton of great tips for my costume. For starters, I had no idea what I was going to make the dreadlocks out of. This site provided me with the answer. Caulk saver foam. It never would have occurred to me. Thanks to this site, I've already got my dreads well under construction. I was also struggling to find good images of the armor to work with. Again, this site saved the day by not only having many, many shots of Predator armor, but I even found cutting patterns and such for armor construction. Now as I said, I will be taking the easy route. My armor will involve cut and shaped plastic plates, riveted, glued, and sewed to some old football pads. Now will that look amazing? Probably not. But I bet with a little work I can end up with "decent". In the end, my costume will look better than most Halloween costumes, and it will have been home made, which is the fun part.

I know that for most of you, this site and hobby are a year round event. I understand that having an influx of people with similar taste, but not the same conviction, must be frustrating. However don't view us Halloween Noobs as a burden, instead view us and an audience to astound with your works and as students to teach some of your secrets to. Having spent large amounts of time and money on your suits, you can easily inform us noobs of what works and what doesn't. You can tell us what the fast and cheap methods are, and what the best and most accurate methods are. Let us decide what level of quality we require for our projects. Don't shun us, help us. The Halloween Noob of today may just be the Predator obsessed fan of tomorrow.

-pete-
well said pete! if this site didnt have a steady influx of noobs every year it wold eventually die. new hunters are what its all about and yes vets if the noobs are a pain in the ass its because they havnt got a clue. you are the mothers and fathers they are the children. they are eager and willing to learn and you must teach! if only 10 percent get hooked then you will have a lot more people to share and expand your passion for these iconic film characters. so if you find lots of noobs tgging at your trouser legs and asking all sorts of ridiculous questions then take a deep breath and explain why they cant use mothers tights for a body stocking but THIS would look much better!!

We've spent years teaching ..there is a wealth of information at you fingertips ...just search it out. The Problem is that we see a lot of first posts on this forum asking for a suit for a couple hundred bucks. Jason basically tried to cut to the chase on this thread, by spelling it out and making it easier. A full suit on the cheap is not easy to come by. It is not unheard of, but the reality is that most of us with full suits spent much time and money putting them together. And we were all new at one time as well... so we understand the eagerness and excitement of wanting a full Predator suit, and Halloween is to most costumers a favorite holiday... We are only giving a heads up on whet you are getting yourself into ..and a little etiquette an approaching this subject on the boards

id like to say to all the people who have all thes posts and questions that brought them to members and advanced members or what ever you call it. i know its impossible to have the perfect costume b4 halloween this year. it took my over a year to make my begins costume to my likings o i know it takes time. as for this noob thing, ive been on here actually for over a year and have had several hundred posts. just between moving, having my family and starting my new career as a firefighter, and losing everything between the move, i figure let start over on here and seeing that time isnt on my side this year and that i love halloween, i figure now that my girls are grown up, and i have some xtra cash, why not buy one thats done just for this year and maybe start my own with my 2 hands. sorry that alot of you dont like the "noobs" on here, but remember, you were once one. as i said before, id love to purchase one that is done or piece one together this year for halloween. im 38, not 13 like some of the kids on here or even 21. family and bills came first, now its play time for daddy. i hope everyone understands where im coming from and can help a fellow firefighter look like a hunter for halloween!! be safe and always remember the magic numbers....911. j/k have fun, drink alot this halloween at parties and remember from the words of abraham lincoln in bill and teds excellent adventure..."PARTY ON DUDES"!!!!!! ;)

Hey Jeep ..we love noobs on the Lair...anything to keep the collective growing is a good thing. And from time to time a full suit does make it on the member/buy sell, so keep your eyes open. I think what we are trying to say is that around this time of the year we get peppered with first posts that read, "Hey, looking to buy a full predator suit, can spend 400 dollars". For those of us that put in the time getting to know one another and sharing our craft and information, it gets kind of annoying. I'm sure you can understand

Lets set the record straight:

WE LOVE NEWBS!!!!

We dislike:
-newbs asking where they can buy cheap suit parts
-newbs who want a complete Pred suit in less than a month or two from Halloween
-newbs asking who sells what right off the bat without getting to know the people here. This is not a 1-stop-Pred-shop. Most all sellers like to get to know people they are selling their stuff to.
-newbs who don't bother searching for answers that may already be here.

WE LOVE NEWBS!!!!! Really we do!!! Take your time to get to know the Lair and the members here...;)

First off , wonderfull that this has been brought up. Secondly , i see the two sides to this and glad it is being adressed. Im sure im considered a noob and thats fine. I have been a member for about a year or so and I get on the site about everyday on average. I dont have alot of posts though and I know that tends to make some of the elders a little nervous. And that is completely understandable. But as was mentioned earlier , I searched for the questions I wanted to ask before I posted and 99% of the time , I found the answer I needed.

Even though i have not been around as long as most , and have few posts , even I find myself getting irritated when I am going through the member buy and sell area and it is clogged with complete suit requests. But this cant be stopped , only slowed , and its not that bad. To all the TRULY new noobs , a word of advice.....you gotta understand that most of us here are die hard predator fans , and its a year round thing for us. It is a little frustrating seeing someone jump on , read nothing , go straight to the buy and sell and post #1 is for a suit. SO do as I did , maybe before signing up , read through the site for awhile. I did for a couple months before joining. Then I waited for the right thing for my budget and taste to come up. If you are a true fan , and not just one who "thinks it would be cool to go to the party as predator" then stick around , be patient , and it will all come together. Be cool , and everyone will be cool. Even though im the quiet type , and dont post alot , I have been helped by longtime memebers more then I even expected. Especially PDISC (shout out) .

So when its all said and done , all of us will still be here after every halloween, the influx of noobs will be gone , and it will be business as usual. So thanks to everyone who has helped me out, and sorry to the new people who are disappointed now. Ebay is an alternative. So dont be too offended , either side of the line. If your a noob , and your goal is to have a badass suit , then your in the same boat as the rest of us. Most of us have been working on it forever and never seem to be done. But it CAN be done , and perhaps for a descent price. But if your like me and have been predator every year since 1985 ,you will fing out its well worth it to cough up the dough and do it right.

So if you share our passion, please stick around , get involved more. After writing this I think I will take my own advice and get into things a little more and show my gratitude.

yeah i was a lurker for about 6 months before i started posting on a more regular basis. this is a great community, all we are saying is lets get to know each other. and it keep it what we love, a community.

hey greek, i totally understand. im really not good with my hands like most of you are. you guys and gals have made some serious suits which are UNBELIEVABLE!!! im just looking for one cause i cant make any. now if you asked me to do something to your jeep or install a radio for you in ur car or tile ur bathroom which im doing now...i can do that...this seems a little hard for me to do...maybe i do need to practice a lil, but im sure when all is said and done, next year, i plan on posting my pics of my suit that i did with the help of you guys and gals.hey moderator, thanks for more tips... alot of this is helping me out. if i have to spend 2000 grand, i will on one that is done....but i will also learn to do one my self. happy hunting to all!

right on man..thats the spirit. Hey ..I bought my first suit flat out ...second too for that matter...now I've been working on custom pieces for two new suits. After awhile the bug to create will hit you...plus there are so many fantastic artists on this board, it's nice to have parts from many of them

Hey pete I hope you didnt buy the mask yet.I got it and realised it's very small I can see my mouth poking out the bottom.It can use a repaint but it is as acurate to the movie one as it's gonna get.I am supprised thatthe markings are correct.But any who it is better for the mask to be a dysplay or for a little kid that can actually were it cause it's heavy!

Hey pete I hope you didnt buy the mask yet.I got it and realised it's very small I can see my mouth poking out the bottom.It can use a repaint but it is as acurate to the movie one as it's gonna get.I am supprised thatthe markings are correct.But any who it is better for the mask to be a dysplay or for a little kid that can actually were it cause it's heavy!

Oh no that one! bought that from the guy on ebay ..said it was 1:1. its barely kid sized at best. hung it on wall with the little wall hanger it came with ...the wall hanger broke off in 20 min, shattering the bio. total rip off!

Ok, now that all of you newbs have had your chops throughly tenderized, LOL!
I'm available for questions, no question is "too stupid"! I consider it an honor to help
out where I can! I made my first suit without any knowledge of this wonderful place
and did for around $200 bucks, but I am "creative" and it took me around two months!
After finding the Lair almost 3 years ago, $2,000 and countless hours working on it and
after D*C it still needs a little tweeking to make it a little more comfortable.
None the less, hit me! If I can't answer it we'll find the answer together.
All the best to you recent "unblooded"

may not no alot of people, but I've perked and watched and I'm on the begining of my second year and I'm just now hitting the "I'm only 6 months away stage" not to mention having to go back and fix things that I did wrong in the begining, but the Halloween thing is wut attracted me, and I new I wouldn't be able to cough up the dough to buy one so I stayed around and watched and learned.... And now I'm nearing the end of two projects and already finished a third since I've been here........ The lairs vets are truely amazing to the noobs when they are up to it and for that I give yall a round of aplause

Oh no that one! bought that from the guy on ebay ..said it was 1:1. its barely kid sized at best. hung it on wall with the little wall hanger it came with ...the wall hanger broke off in 20 min, shattering the bio. total rip off!

Crap, I ordered it this morning! Well I do have some hope still because for a guy thats 6 foot tall, I do have a pretty small head. LoL. I always have to get the smallest sizes of hats and such. Guess I will just have to wait and see, should be here in a few days. If it doesn't fit, I guess I will have to order that rubber double mask http://shutupandmakemeasandwichbitch.com/i...edator-mask.jpg which I know will fit because I've tried it on before. The bio mask on that one just looks so crappy. Hopefully the first one will work out, but if not, I'm only out $15 so not a huge deal. I really don't like the look of the other mask though. Sadly, those are the only 2 anywhere near my price range. I saw a great on on ebay for like $25 for a few days, but the last night it jumped up to well over $100. Terrible news.

On the plus side, my shin armor has gotten its first coat of paint, just needs detail work now. My dreads are coming along pretty nicely and my unitard arrived today so I can start painting that!

I might just pull this thing off!

may not no alot of people, but I've perked and watched and I'm on the begining of my second year and I'm just now hitting the "I'm only 6 months away stage" not to mention having to go back and fix things that I did wrong in the begining, but the Halloween thing is what attracted me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to cough up the dough to buy one so I stayed around and watched and learned.... And now I'm nearing the end of two projects and already finished a third since I've been here........ The lairs vets are truely amazing to the noobs when they are up to it and for that I give yall a round of aplause

I second that aplause and welcome posts like this... I'm not a noob to costume making, SFX, SCIFI, ..etc.. but I am to the Predator community. A realm I imagined might exist and low and behold discovered it does! Major props to the members that have graciously allowed me to cut a few corners while persuing the ulitmate suit. Halloween season always reminds me about one of the many hobbies I love and thanks to the Lair, I'll have something reasonable by the end of October. Ultimately it takes time and money regardless of your talent and skill level to reach a screen accurate representation so I'll be busy tweeking my suit or suits ( is one really enough?) well beyond 10/31/09.

I reenact WW2 (Axis) and have the same issues shared here when a noob looks at the 8K you have tied to your impression and remarks, "how far will $300 get me?" so I understand completely. I can also see how excited someone can get when they find a special place like this... I look forward to posting sketches as well as progress of my suit soon. Elder Lair members, Thank you! To my fellow noobs, scan well before you speak,... you'll be well rewarded and a much wiser Hunter...

You mean, I can't buy a fully functional preddie suit with cloak and shootie thing for under a hundred bucks? (Curls into a ball waiting for the blades to slice him to shreds)
I would like to say, I'm not the average noob,... NOW! I used to be! I remember looking at things and saying WOW! That looks incredible! Then to find out the guy made it from cardboard and sculpey blew my mind! Now, I'm the one people look at and say WOW! You MADE that?! If I had this forum when I first started making stuff, I'd have made my own freakin' MOVIE by now!!! This forum is awesome and I look forward to contributing to it. Everytime I log in, I absorb so much info my workbench trembles in fear!
Speaking of which, where'd I put that hot knife?

reason i got into Predator and this forum was simply to make a costume for this years halloween!
as i have not to much time on my hands and very limited funds this past year my suit build is not even done yet!
i have bio,head(which was a gift from my brother), feet(i bought from a member here), armor(which i made from foamies), plasma canon(which i also made), all i am missing is my skin, and hands..
so i just wanted to add that no please don't expect to join this forum or any other one like it and get a full movie quality suit in less than a month!
even if you have the money for it.
remember, molding, casting, painting.... it all takes time!
the best thing you can do is as you start making your own suit you get a pride of "yeah i made this" and you can't buy that feeling!

with that said good luck to all the newbies and your goals of owning/making a suit!

~~~Lou~~~

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back