SO YOU WANT TO MAKE/BUY A PREDATOR SUIT? READ THIS!!!!!!

Sweet thred Jason.

not going to add to the chorus of " you cannot make a good movie suit in 3 weeks " replies , as anyone with half a brain should be able to see that.

We were alll noobs once, and fresh blood brings fresh ideas/techniques and theories on everything pred related.

A very, very, very, VERY, cheap version could be achieved in that time, but... come on! Nobody wants a cheap version, we all wanna look pro.

This is a very good thread!

I'm a newbie here but been doing my homework for quite long time.
A decent version would take 2 months with 2 people on it. (Only with biohelmet, no mask; and airbrushed spandex suit instead of latex coverd)
Budget depends on what you use.
My advise.... recycle all you can, saves money (saves the Earth too)

For those without the imagination or creativity, my condolences you are going to spend a lot.

I can see the frustration the elders can have. I frequent MANY forums for various subjects and you want to bang your head on the wall when there are blatant posts where no search conducted beforehand. Good to see the advanced members are willing to help. For someone like me with very little prop/costume building experience, it can be intimidating. I'll be reading around for a while and after I figure out a starting point the adventure will begin. My goal is SDCC next year.

OR you can go on ebay and buy mine and it will be shipped to you in time for halloween :)

check the for sale section for the link to my auction ;)

yes normally they go for 2400 - 3500 but mine listed for under 2500.

I think there should also be a minimum amount of posts you have to make before posting in the buy and sell section? Or some sort of rep system, its getting flooded with threads now for the Haloween rush.

I think we are one of the few large costuming forums that does not impose restrictions on posting in a buy/sell section. The RPF does, the Dented Helmet does, the 405th does, though they range anywhere between 10 posts and 50.

Good thread, Jason. Some of these concerns as well as others have already been addressed in the Forum Rules some months ago. You've gone a step further. Is there any way to have the Forum Rules appear as the first item in the General Section list, rather than the last, so that it gets read first?

Not sure if you mentioned this too----profiteers. These are people who join this site for the expressed purpose of buying a suit or parts of suits from members, wear them to Halloween Parties to win big money, then turn around and dump them on eBay for outrageous prices. This is not a site for people trying to "strike it rich". We are serious about what we do. If you're not, go piss up a rope.

Sweet thred Jason.

not going to add to the chorus of " you cannot make a good movie suit in 3 weeks " replies , as anyone with half a brain should be able to see that.

We were alll noobs once, and fresh blood brings fresh ideas/techniques and theories on everything pred related.
i resent that remark lee!some of us can build a suit in a wk,lol.course i lose out on a social life.being a noob on here is scary.i was almost pushed away for being a noob and begged for just the direction in where to buy the stuff because id already had a game plan in my head.remember,if we dont help others on here,we could be biting the future hand that feeds us our hobby!if someone is willing to pay for the inconvinience,then by all means they should be given the chance to buy whatever.theres no need to chase them off or have them jump hoops.if they dont like the info thats given to them about the product,there will b the next person that has more of a grip on this hobby than just the average person looking for a pieces of a suit.not everyone has the ability to paint as fast as i can,but its from yrs of painting anything in general.i just get a big kick out of doing this hobby for others on here and hope painters/sculptors/builders grow more all the time on here so i can enjoy my hobby more.

I said MOVIE suit

You maybe able to PAINT the suit, but it takes longer for the customer to chose a design, then order the parts, then have them arrive at you etc etc.

Agree about pushing people away, thats why i said " We were alll noobs once, and fresh blood brings fresh ideas/techniques and theories on everything pred related."

I was treated appallingly by some members when i joined, explaining or answering questions was virtually a hanging offense so i was led to believe. thankfully other members who are still here helped me and were helpful in the basics.

wait i can't build a movie suit for $250...well that blows.

prebought or building from nothing ..it's an invesment both in time and money

I don't care if your a vet or a noob ...
no one person here is better than the next, doesn't matter if you paint or sculpt in 3 days or 3 years...

Check that all ego **** at the door cause we are all here to help out ....if your not it becomes pretty evident to everyone what your intentions are, if it's just to show off then ok that's cool if your here to show how you did it...that's even better.

remember this place was created to become a resource for ANYONE who wanted to build and share the process of building a suit...not to EGO out...

wait i can't build a movie suit for $250...well that blows.

prebought or building from nothing ..it's an invesment both in time and money

I don't care if your a vet or a noob ...
no one person here is better than the next, doesn't matter if you paint or sculpt in 3 days or 3 years...

Check that all ego **** at the door cause we are all here to help out ....if your not it becomes pretty evident to everyone what your intentions are, if it's just to show off then ok that's cool if your here to show how you did it...that's even better.

remember this place was created to become a resource for ANYONE who wanted to build and share the process of building a suit...not to EGO out...

I'm better than Lee...

Last edited by a moderator:
on the plus side lee, it's nearly tomorrow and then it will someone elses turn. oh hang on those across the pond have a few hours left

I spent almost a year building my Halo armor. Not happy with pepakura, I found like minded folk and we sculpted, molded, casted, dremeled, molded again, and casted again. Thousands of dollars spent, too many man hours burned, and one hell of a suit was the result. I followed the bread crumbs of a friend here to the Hunter's Lair and I expect the same amount of time and effort to be dedicated. While a noob on this forum, one should try and learn as much as possible and buy only what they cannot produce themselves.

Noobs of the world are limited to their noob status only by sheer laziness! It's not posts, but productivity. Noobishness is a frame of mind!

It's not all about the suit, but the readiness to wear the suit. Its latex. So its hot. Hydrate. Hydrate alot. Take breaks in wearing the suit. Remove the helm, the mask (if a full one), and cool off. Nothing says NOOB like dropping from heat exhaustion and dehydration.

hey guys just so you know... although ive been here for a little over a year i think im kinda a "noob" that doesn't mean im not as much of a fan as some of you top dogs:) ive basically almost subcontiously wanted to be a predator my whole life ( well, most of it, i was born in 81 and ive been growin' my dreds since 90...4? 95?) and they are by far the coolest alien ever invented ( thank you stan o_O anyway, what i was writing in the first place for is, i know really nothing more than the many topics ive skimmed through on this forum about making a suit. unfortunately im so far from even starting mine, it's planned out and everything but what im saying is it is because of the fact that all of your suits look sooo professional that i could only imagine, and cant understand how anyone couldn't imagine just how long it would take to make something thats worth wearing and how much it must cost to do so! and till earlier hadn't even thought of there being a special way to paint latex or anything. but all those kinds of things added up, and just made it seam impossible for the moment :D but to even think that a suit that would do a pred justice could be made in a month for "250 dollars" as kithunter stated (which was funny as hell for some reason:) is just absurd!! im sure the noobies get frustrating, but try to go easy on em. i do really like how the moderators of this site are a lot more open to things even if some people are a bit "out of line" if you will. it shows a lot of character IMO for you to be excepting of the noobies, and not let your status get to your head and act like you're better than anyone else simply because they haven't proven his or herself to the standards of the site or to YOU. some forums, as im sure you know won't even let you see pictures if you haven't commented ten times or more, and while i'm sure there's a good reason some where for that, i can't help but thinkin' "now how in the hell are you supposed to comment on something that has pics in it, if you cant see the damn pics?!?!" but this place is the coolest and the only forum i go to on a daily basis, i only end up on another if i google something and a pic takes me to one of em. i think i might be a member of one other, and i don't know which one it is or why i even signed up, cause they all seemed like winey losers :rolleyes:

anyway you guys rock and its all the extremely helpful topics and just general concern for wanting everyone (that wants to) to join in, that makes this such a great site. now don't get me wrong, some of you guys are kinda cocky sometimes , but so am i, and it's all good, usually. but i basically wanted to thank anyone that did do something helpful on here instead of just arguing just to argue just to make other people feel stupid. i know that when the time comes theres enough helpful topics and good advise from experienced people on this forum to walk me through step by step if necessary, and that's awesome B) this topic alone helps me, in a much better way, put into perspective about how much it might cost (individual parts that is) and that it might even be possible for me to have this dream of mine, all your suits totally kick so much ass, and im so jealous every damn time i see one, but trust me there is nothing about any of them that says "you can build this suit in a month for a few measly hundred dollars:)" im sure the prices very from suit to suit, altogether, but i was quite sure that they weren't cheap and i just hoped that no one got divorced over theirs:). anyway, thanks guys!

and now if i can just stop buying these damn 12" predators, maybe i can get started on a 6' one huh?...

I spent almost a year building my Halo armor. Not happy with pepakura, I found like minded folk and we sculpted, molded, casted, dremeled, molded again, and casted again. Thousands of dollars spent, too many man hours burned, and one hell of a suit was the result. I followed the bread crumbs of a friend here to the Hunter's Lair and I expect the same amount of time and effort to be dedicated. While a noob on this forum, one should try and learn as much as possible and buy only what they cannot produce themselves.

Noobs of the world are limited to their noob status only by sheer laziness! It's not posts, but productivity. Noobishness is a frame of mind!

It's not all about the suit, but the readiness to wear the suit. Its latex. So its hot. Hydrate. Hydrate alot. Take breaks in wearing the suit. Remove the helm, the mask (if a full one), and cool off. Nothing says NOOB like dropping from heat exhaustion and dehydration.
by the way bro that last line is GD hilarious :D but also very good to know as a noob to the suit world o_O

hey guys just so you know... although ive been here for a little over a year i think im kinda a "noob" that doesn't mean im not as much of a fan as some of you top dogs:) ive basically almost subcontiously wanted to be a predator my whole life ( well, most of it, i was born in 81 and ive been growin' my dreds since 90...4? 95?) and they are by far the coolest alien ever invented ( thank you stan o_O anyway, what i was writing in the first place for is, i know really nothing more than the many topics ive skimmed through on this forum about making a suit. unfortunately im so far from even starting mine, it's planned out and everything but what im saying is it is because of the fact that all of your suits look sooo professional that i could only imagine, and cant understand how anyone couldn't imagine just how long it would take to make something thats worth wearing and how much it must cost to do so! and till earlier hadn't even thought of there being a special way to paint latex or anything. but all those kinds of things added up, and just made it seam impossible for the moment :D but to even think that a suit that would do a pred justice could be made in a month for "250 dollars" as kithunter stated (which was funny as hell for some reason:) is just absurd!! im sure the noobies get frustrating, but try to go easy on em. i do really like how the moderators of this site are a lot more open to things even if some people are a bit "out of line" if you will. it shows a lot of character IMO for you to be excepting of the noobies, and not let your status get to your head and act like you're better than anyone else simply because they haven't proven his or herself to the standards of the site or to YOU. some forums, as im sure you know won't even let you see pictures if you haven't commented ten times or more, and while i'm sure there's a good reason some where for that, i can't help but thinkin' "now how in the hell are you supposed to comment on something that has pics in it, if you cant see the damn pics?!?!" but this place is the coolest and the only forum i go to on a daily basis, i only end up on another if i google something and a pic takes me to one of em. i think i might be a member of one other, and i don't know which one it is or why i even signed up, cause they all seemed like winey losers :rolleyes:

anyway you guys rock and its all the extremely helpful topics and just general concern for wanting everyone (that wants to) to join in, that makes this such a great site. now don't get me wrong, some of you guys are kinda cocky sometimes , but so am i, and it's all good, usually. but i basically wanted to thank anyone that did do something helpful on here instead of just arguing just to argue just to make other people feel stupid. i know that when the time comes theres enough helpful topics and good advise from experienced people on this forum to walk me through step by step if necessary, and that's awesome B) this topic alone helps me, in a much better way, put into perspective about how much it might cost (individual parts that is) and that it might even be possible for me to have this dream of mine, all your suits totally kick so much ass, and im so jealous every damn time i see one, but trust me there is nothing about any of them that says "you can build this suit in a month for a few measly hundred dollars:)" im sure the prices very from suit to suit, altogether, but i was quite sure that they weren't cheap and i just hoped that no one got divorced over theirs:). anyway, thanks guys!

and now if i can just stop buying these damn 12" predators, maybe i can get started on a 6' one huh?...

i totally feel the same way!
other forums the mods are just stuck up and start saying things like "don't respond if you don't know what you are talking about!" making people not wanting to post anything else! everyone at some point is a noob right?
noone starts off as a moderator unless you helped start the forum right?
and that is the one thing that attracted me to The Lair...
ever since my introduction post and my first WIP post i got nothing but great vibes..

its like being welcomed with open arms and a cup of hot cocoa!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back