So, I get a few of My MR Retailer Ex. Helmets

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'll post pics later but has anyone else got the retailer exclusive trooper helmets in yet?

I'm sea sick from looking at the ripples and the wonky paint.....oy.
No paperwork...no plaques. Clear coat is rough in some spots... slick in others.

Anyone else? problems?

It's difficult to photograph what I'm talking about but the 4 helmets I've seen all look the same.

The paint jobs are just spotty... there are areas with crooked lines and hazy clear coat. The trim work is also off...looks hacked in some areas and the liners have glue residue here and there.

Oh' well...

I'll post more pics later. Here's a shot showing how wavy/wonky this sculpt or at least this pull looks.

Thanks for the link. I didn't see those...

Yes, these have the exact issues. There are areas that seem to have been repainted on these, too.

It is difficult to photograph these things. It's just B- and C grade work. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling these to anyone. They would just get returned anyway.

They need to start consulting prop makers again and they wouldn't have these issues. "These are not 399.00 pieces in my opinion."

The krinkled paint that was mentioned is a problem called krazing or orange peel it usually occurs when paint is sprayed over a non compatible material or paint.....this has happened to me when spraying enamel paint over an acrylic primer...this also can happen if a residue was on that area such as a release agent etc...
The yellowed sections are probably caused by a bad batch or old paint...Im not sure what they use on these but alot of base coat clear coat paints have a shelf life and start to seperate even if mixed well before applying this will show up in the dry paint as yellowed or off white areas. And when I say old thats not to say its been sitting around for years alot of cheaper automotive paints start to go bad once they meet the air and must be used within about a week and then discarded...
The dull or dead spots in the clear coat is cause most likely by over spray and not putting on the final wetting coat where the whole helmet has to be wet with clear coat so it all blends and dries uniformly......
My take is if they delayed shipping because of "quality control issues" ;) and now these are coming out looking like this then I would have hated to see them before. For the money people shouldnt have to weather them or repaint them.
The helmet itself is very nice and over all imo well done...but they got to get some better quality paints and people who know how to work with it properly....

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell@Jan 25 2006, 04:44 AM
It's not just the paint...the pulls are wonky and the finish work is bad.
[snapback]1167445[/snapback]​
Outsourcing at its finest.....
Bad pulls can mean a couple things the molds are degrading or always had those flaws incorperated in them to begin with ,or the fiberglass isn't being mixed properly....if to much catalyst is used the fiberglass cures to quick gets real hot and shrinks and warps even out of a perfectly straight mold causing the wonky cast issues.....Sorry about your troubles I hope you can swap it out for a better one.

Thanks but I know why it happens...

My point is, it shouldn't be happening. I've seen better product come out of garages.

Originally posted by skygunbro@Jan 24 2006, 11:53 PM
Bad pulls can mean a couple things the molds are degrading or always had those flaws incorperated in them to begin with....
[snapback]1167454[/snapback]​

How can that be, they are "screen accurate."

Originally posted by rudolpht+Jan 25 2006, 05:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudolpht @ Jan 25 2006, 05:00 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-skygunbro
@Jan 24 2006, 11:53 PM
Bad pulls can mean a couple things the molds are degrading or always had those flaws incorperated in them to begin with....
[snapback]1167454[/snapback]​

How can that be, they are "screen accurate."
[snapback]1167462[/snapback]​
[/b]
:lol :lol :lol

Well I wasnt sure if you knew chestrockwell...and I agree with you. The info I posted was for those who dont work with fiberglass etc. I highly doubt the molds have those flaws in them im sure it's fiberglass issue...the only way to know for sure is to see if other helamt owners have the same waves etc. in the same places..that will be the only way to know for sure.

the problem i had with my star corps wasn't even the paint, there was ridiculous bubbling underneath the plastic of the visor that i couldn't even hope to smooth out...so back it went...

Rocketsauce,
Did you return it to have it exchanged? I want to take care of this as soon as possible, so I need to decide if I want it exchanged, or credit back, or what... The helmet's already boxed up and ready to go back home to MR.

-Roger

I have a Spec. Ops on order from SWS.com and you guys are seriously scaring the cr@p out of me...

I have a Star Corps and it seems okay to me, but either I got lucky or maybe I just shouldn't look too closely.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back