So, Disney + is going to start imbedding commercials…

What I'm still not sure about is what happens to people who already have a subscription? Are they going to charge you the same and just add commercials or are they going to make you choose what tier you want? Mine will be tier 0 for no subscription.

What I'm still not sure about is what happens to people who already have a subscription? Are they going to charge you the same and just add commercials or are they going to make you choose what tier you want? Mine will be tier 0 for no subscription.
I'd like to think if you've paid upfont you wont be affected initially.

I haven't had an e-mail yet so this may just be in the US for now.
If there are going to be adverts I'll have reservations about renewing. I hate adverts.

The most irritating thing is probably 1 in 10 ads will be for the precise thing you're currently trying to watch. That happened all the time for me on Hulu, and I'd honestly rather ignore watch two ads for some random product than sit though a trailer for the movie or show that just got paused.

Just found the details, since the email had none.

It’s official: The ad-supported version of Disney+ will cost $7.99 a month when it launches in the U.S. on December 8 — the same price of the streaming service currently. Disney+ without ads will cost more, $10.99 a month, Disney announced Wednesday.

When the new tier launches, it will mark the first time that Disney will introduce commercials on its flagship streaming service, which has amassed 152.1 million subscribers worldwide since it launched in November 2019, new numbers reported by Disney in Wednesday’s Q3 earnings report.

The most irritating thing is probably 1 in 10 ads will be for the precise thing you're currently trying to watch. That happened all the time for me on Hulu, and I'd honestly rather ignore watch two ads for some random product than sit though a trailer for the movie or show that just got paused.
That was exactly why I got rid of Hulu after watching the final season of The Orville, which to honest was the only reason I got Hulu.

Just found the details, since the email had none.

It’s official: The ad-supported version of Disney+ will cost $7.99 a month when it launches in the U.S. on December 8 — the same price of the streaming service currently. Disney+ without ads will cost more, $10.99 a month, Disney announced Wednesday.

When the new tier launches, it will mark the first time that Disney will introduce commercials on its flagship streaming service, which has amassed 152.1 million subscribers worldwide since it launched in November 2019, new numbers reported by Disney in Wednesday’s Q3 earnings report.
For me, it's probably worth it. Ads are the thing I hate most about YouTube, OTA TV, Twitter, Facebook, Insta...
I've always said I would pay any of these services a little bit not to have to see the ads. I'm disappointed, of course, but if it's $3 a month more for a service I use the hell out of? Not that big of a deal.

For me, it's probably worth it. Ads are the thing I hate most about YouTube, OTA TV, Twitter, Facebook, Insta...
I've always said I would pay any of these services a little bit not to have to see the ads. I'm disappointed, of course, but if it's $3 a month more for a service I use the hell out of? Not that big of a deal.
I’m torn. I agree with you, but honestly, I only really watch Star Wars and Marvel content. And recently it hasn’t been stellar.

I also had to keep my Paramount+ membership because I got the gig as a staff writer for the Daily Star Trek News site, so I kind of have to watch it now…

But since I really don’t watch all of the stuff on D+ I’m really only limited to a few things.

If they’re making a billion a month and need more money, I may have to stop supporting them.

That is awesome news. Now I can catch-up on the gripping saga of Jake From State Farm while watching The Mandalorian.

FBA2EDB4-CA51-46D8-95F2-290C355D87B8.jpeg

I hope that is doesn’t mean that I have to upgrade my subscription in order to start interrupting my programming with these advertisements. I like to replicate the joys of terrestrial television as much as possible and the lack of commercial interruptions has always bothered me when I am streaming content.

You see, when you wish upon a star, your dreams really DO come true.

Thank you…thank you, Disney.

Last edited:
I also had to keep my Paramount+ membership because I got the gig as a staff writer for the Daily Star Trek News site, so I kind of have to watch it now…

Is that membership now tax deductible?

My three year membership is up in November. I'm hoping it lasts just long enough to watch the Santa Clause series and then I'm out. The novelty of Mandalorian has worn off, and I already have the Star Wars movies that matter on Blu Ray, so I don't feel like I'll be missing out on anything.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back