Snowtrooper Duster

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by TK9120, May 2, 2006.

1. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

I don't think I've seen anyone here offer an accurate one. Any leads?

2. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

Apparently not. :(

3. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

StudioCreations has a good site witha few tips on making your own. It's well worth a look, even to give you a sense of how it goes together. Hope that helps a bit.

4. Tambo Fett

Tambo Fett Well-Known Member

Was size are you? I might have a extra one for sale (only 1)

5. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tambo Fett @ May 3 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]1237530[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen the SC site and it would help if I knew how to sew aor knew someone who did.

I'm 5'6. A little too short I think. I've trimmed my armor and it still is too big. So I'm going to put it on a mannequin. What size do you have?

6. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Weren't the originals made of white fleece?

7. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

I believe they were.

8. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I've looked at the Studiocreations tutorial. I'm sure I could put one together. Does anyone have a picture of one without the armor over it?

9. IanL

IanL New Member

Sign up over at the 501st Snowtrooper site www.blizzardforce.com/forum There is a member there offering to make dusters and pouches for interested parties.

10. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IanL @ May 4 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]1238503[/snapback]</div>
    I am or was a member there. Not sure if my account got cancelled or not. There was never any activity going on so I never checked.

General Mayhem - I have this pic. Can't remember where I got it.

11. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

This is definitely doable.

12. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

I'm not sure how accurate that is but it looks good to me.

Now that I see that pic, I'm not sure if the originals were fleece or wool.

13. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

Hi there.

I spoke to my dress maker ( She owns the local costume store ) about a duster for my snowy. I showed her the picture that is in this thread ( See post # 10). I told her I wanted to make it out of wool. She said that her friend works in a Second Hand clothes shop and they quite often get in second hand white wool blankets. She said that even with the cost of her time – the jacket should only cost $40 - $50.

Good luck.

14. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Nice of her to do one for so little money.

I added a quick writeup on my site to offer the Duster to those that don't have a local seamstress to put one together for them.

Snowtrooper Trench Coat

15. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeneralMayhem @ May 5 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]1238995[/snapback]</div>
    Nice work. When I get the cash, I'll be in touch.

16. abntroop1

abntroop1 Active Member

the original dusters were made out of polar fleece, that pattern is pretty dang accurate. anyone interested in getting one of these, pm me. I've got a line on them for about 150 a pop

17. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

Being a Florida Snowtrooper, I opted for a more "survivable" fabric than wool. I used a cotton fabric that was not to light, but definately not wool or fleece. For the "skirt" portion, I double plyed it so it would be heavier and have more "swing". I just used an XXL t-shirt (I wear XL) as a template. I cut it up the center and copied the size. Turned out nice.

Scott

18. abntroop1

abntroop1 Active Member

well, that polar fleece is kinda hard to get ahold of these days anyway. I do favor the hevier fabrics though as they'll hang better and look better in pictures. I've never been a fan of having my skirt billowing around me in parades. looks ridiculous, and always * me off when I saw after-event pics. ya just gotta find a white fabric, that gets nice and chunky/fuzzy, put some batting in to weight it down if ya need to.

19. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

I sewed the "skirt" part like a pillow. I drew the shape, then sewed along that line with another piece underneath. I left the top opened and then turned it inside out. Worked great and gave it plenty of weight.

Scott