Snowtrooper cowl material uk?

Geekygeek2020

Hi all. First post.

Looking for a little advice. I have a snowtrooper helmet but looking to replace the cowl with a more screen accurate one.

After reading through previous forums I've discovered the material is either;

Kiss laminate
Pvc vinyl
Marine vinyl

Can anyone reccomend the best to use and where I can get it in the uk?

Many thanks.

Hi, was only reading the other day about these (the Ralph Mc’s) maybe something of use [emoji1417]
IMG_7536.png

Ive seen the Kiss Laminate is it the glossy white? or is there a slightly less shiny white?
So the example sheet I got sent arrived looking like a matt white however you peel the sheet open (its 2 layers together). Once you peel it open it reveals a white shiny gloss material. Hope this makes sense.
So its left me with a dilemma, keep the matt look or peel and have the really glossy white look.

So the example sheet I got sent arrived looking like a matt white however you peel the sheet open (its 2 layers together). Once you peel it open it reveals a white shiny gloss material. Hope this makes sense.
So its left me with a dilemma, keep the matt look or peel and have the really glossy white look.
The cowls on the screen used helmets were two layers thick, so does that mean they just cut it to shape without peeling the 2 layers apart?
Pictures of helmets seem to have glossy cowls, so does that mean they initially separated the two layers (if the gloss side is on the ‘inside’) then attached two layers back together again?
Of course I’m using the assumption that this Kiss vinyl is the same stuff used on the originals?

The cowls on the screen used helmets were two layers thick, so does that mean they just cut it to shape without peeling the 2 layers apart?
Pictures of helmets seem to have glossy cowls, so does that mean they initially separated the two layers (if the gloss side is on the ‘inside’) then attached two layers back together again?
Of course I’m using the assumption that this Kiss vinyl is the same stuff used on the originals?
My initial plans were to separate then stick the 2 back together with the glossy side showing however I'm not sure if I'll try that. I may look at some fabric glue spray for that job. Although my preferred option is just to roll with one layer of glossy cowl. I'll see what arrives in the post and decide at that point. Pretty nervous about taking the current cowl off but to be honest the whole process should be easy if I use the current cowl as a template to cut around. Just worried the 1 layer will look too soft.

Last edited:
Hi all.

A little update to the cowl scenario.

So I ordered a 1m batch of kiss laminate from fabric uk which cost me about £10. The material is actually doubled as its 2 sheets sandwiched together so you end up with (after peeling apart) 2 one metre square sheets.
Long story short, I removed the original cowl, placed it onto the laminate to draw a template then cut out the new cowl. I then used 2 part epoxy glue to stick it on.
This was my first time using material and glue so there are things I would have done differently now that its finished but I can easily remove the cowl and start again as I have lots of material left over

Photos attached show the horrible original cowl v the new kiss laminate. It's not going to win any awards but I love how it turned out v how it arrived.

I may decide to weather it in the future.

Attachments

• 20210202_124047.jpg
    20210202_124047.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210202_124103.jpg
    20210202_124103.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 111
  • 20210202_122157.jpg
    20210202_122157.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210202_121516.jpg
    20210202_121516.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Wish I caught this sooner-

With regard to "which side" was used. I am of the opinion that production could have possibly fixed cowls with both the dull/matte and high gloss, but it's merely a speculation. RS told me when they were able to handle a screen used helmet during their development and research that it used the dull side on the cowl, and the gloss appearance is merely a trick of lighting. I will say that although one side is obviously "duller," it doesn't mean that it doesn't appear glossy in photos or in different lighting conditions. I know how much lighting impacts photo reference in how things look, especially colors and can skew perceptions. I'm honestly not too hard headed on this particular aspect, unfortunately I have yet to see a screen used helmet in person as sad as that makes me.

To clarify this for folks who may be reading this in how to prep the kiss laminate for your helmet- when you get it, it's stupid thin and may appear to be only one single layer, however, there's 2 layers there. I usually split this at a corner.

Before you cut the material, you must adhere both sides or else you risk getting permanent creases or a "crackled" appearance (this is present on at least one helmet). You lay the entire section of the laminate on a work table (assuming it's a single square/rectangle shape), peel the top layer from left to right about half-way. Using a spray adhesive, like the 3M stuff, follow the instructions, spray the exposed side and then carefully lay that top layer back down over the bottom. Repeat this on the other half of the material and let let it all dry before you move forward with cutting and fixing to the helmet.

As I mentioned, if you do not adhere the 2 layers w/ the adhesive, you risk a crackling texture or pattern to appear that is permanent when you're handling it. I only learned this tidbit after I realized that the kiss laminate I was sent was not prepped (I assumed it was!). One the 2nd helmet, I prepped it as described above and I have had absolutely no permanent creasing or anything like the crackled texture I described.

I was fortunate that RS sent me 2 unfinished kits to let me assemble myself, so these may appear constructed a differently from their product.

On the left is the first helmet I put together w/ the "crackling" as I call it, the 2nd helmet (current trooping one) is on the right.

1642738786652.png

Screen used helmet w/ similar effect on the cowl

1642738537086.png

So yea..hope this helps someone

-TC

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back